Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 25 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi guys,

The track promo has been operational for a while now and technically it runs as it should. I'm still adding some features, such as an announcement message on the Frontpage and on Twitter (search for #gplrank). Next up is posting an update every six hours when the new standings are calculated. E.g. biggest improvement, new participants, final standings, etc.  It may take a while because I'm rather short on time :-(

However, I would like to receive feedback on the feature as it is and ideas for improvement are very welcome. So please post your feedback and ideas here.

Also, I'm wondering if the 1 week duration of a promo is too short. Is it? if so, how long should it be?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 25 2011 - 04:35 PM

The improvements you mention in your post will be good. I like the chart but would like to see the chassis they used beside their name on the overall standings instead of clicking on each chassis to see who used what.
Maybe if you extend it to 2 weeks more people may post times as it gives them 2 full weekends at a certain track. As it is, I am enjoying my little battles with a few people here and have shaved a bit of time off my total ranks as I put a bit more effort in just to keep those guys on their toes. Thanks for organizing this Ed, I am sure it will grow as more people become aware of it.  :hat-tip:

#3 Scott Spahr

Scott Spahr

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted May 25 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'd also like to see the chassis info displayed on the overall chart.

#4 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted May 26 2011 - 12:28 AM

Hi Ed,

One week per track is fine for me.

What I miss is a direct link to the track, a "GET TRACK" button with a link like this: http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?sbtd=lime

Thanks for the improvements. Chart looks/works great!

I also promote this weekly challenge at http://twitter.com/#!/gplrecently

j.

#5 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted May 26 2011 - 04:58 AM

Hallo Ed Hut ,

It is fine like it is now except , befor there was a button where you could see all the laptimes with the car and name next to it perhaps you could replace it Ed .
A pointsystem would also be fun if there is a possibillity for it , the way you could do this is like in GPLRank , you place a reasonable benchmark time next to the promo track and those who go under this laptime get the difference in points .
Would be fun you know and i think more people would race the trackpromo .
For me the one week trackpromotion is good .
Annyway Ed thanks for this little extra in the GPLRank .
greets :hat-tip:

#6 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postfajanko, on May 26 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I also promote this weekly challenge at http://twitter.com/#!/gplrecently

And you just got an extra follower... Nice initiative.

Ed

#7 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostScott Spahr, on May 25 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

I'd also like to see the chassis info displayed on the overall chart.
I'll add this, but be aware that during a competition a driver may have used more than one chassis. Although I guess this doesn't happen too often.

Ed

#8 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted May 26 2011 - 03:45 PM

View Postsvenvangent, on May 26 2011 - 04:58 AM, said:

Hallo Ed Hut ,

It is fine like it is now except , befor there was a button where you could see all the laptimes with the car and name next to it perhaps you could replace it Ed .
A pointsystem would also be fun if there is a possibillity for it , the way you could do this is like in GPLRank , you place a reasonable benchmark time next to the promo track and those who go under this laptime get the difference in points .
Would be fun you know and i think more people would race the trackpromo .
For me the one week trackpromotion is good .
Annyway Ed thanks for this little extra in the GPLRank .
greets :hat-tip:
Adding a benchmark is something I won't add, because of the arbitrary value of it and the effort to determine one. I have considered using the best laptime in the GPLRank DB at the start of the competition, just to determine later on whether it was improved upon or not. I might do that eventually, but it's not high on my list.

Adding a points system is a rather big feature that isn't something to add during a rainy afternoon :-)  I'll keep it in mind though.

Ed

#9 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,357 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted May 27 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hi Ed,

I would like to congratulate you and give a compliment for the very nice track choises!
Some of those beautie's I was forgotten already :idunno:

Two weeks for a track suits me better  :oops:  so many (GPL)thinks I wish to do, and so little time.

Greetings Pedro.

#10 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted May 28 2011 - 09:09 AM

I'm enjoying the way things are going. I just seem to learn the track by the end of the week, so maybe we could have the same for two weeks as suggested by some of the others.
Andy

#11 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,825 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 28 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hi Ed,

I'm really enjoying the challenges, and you've made some really good track choices. Monte Claros was great.

Personally I would be happy with one week per track, but I think I'm biased towards that for two reasons: [1] I'm a confirmed TotalRank addict, so I've seen the circuits before (even if it was a long time ago for some of them), and [2] I'm lucky that I can arrange my spare time to run GPL for a short while on most days.

As there are plenty of people who haven't seen the tracks before, and who can only run GPL at restricted times (weekends for example), I would still be happy if you changed the format to two weeks per track. The only problem with that is that I might get tempted to use the extra time to try out more cars, so that would make any chassis display a bit more crowded.

And if anyone is wondering why I haven't posted a time for Ahvenisto, I'm having a bit of a problem. Some time ago I ran the track for my '65 TotalRank, and managed to do a 1:25.965. But now, I can't seem to get near that time, so I can't enter the challenge! More practice needed, obviously!

#12 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 03:00 AM

I think a week is long enough. I like the promotion and I'm keeping an eye on the tracks you're using but don't often get the time to work up a competitive time (or at least one that's not too embarrassing), particularly if it's not in the mod that I'm currently working on (my league season). But if I can't get around to it in a week, two weeks probably wouldn't be any different.

I think it would be nice though if the winners could post a replay of their winning laps. Just so we can understand how these aliens (Larko) can get the BT7 around Ahvenisto in a low 24!

A big thanks to Ed for putting this together
Cheers
David

Edited by Frenchy, May 29 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#13 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted May 29 2011 - 04:20 AM

Burnsy865 great time you did there at Ahvenisto with the Cooper65 bravisimo  :clap2:  :clap2: bravo bravo
:wave:

Edited by svenvangent, May 29 2011 - 04:20 AM.

#14 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted May 29 2011 - 05:36 AM

Looks like the Fast lap replay is firmly in Burnsy's court, well done mate no time here to try and improve further  :clap2:

Track and time wise I think 1 per week is fine, I also think that making the Track Promotion more evident on the GPL Rank homepage could increase the patronage also, maybe if it was listed in the main part of the page rather than in the left column where it isn't so easy to find.

Craig

Edited by Larko29, May 29 2011 - 05:40 AM.

#15 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted May 29 2011 - 06:51 AM

Oh no! Burnsy's Cooper class star destroyer has blown Larko's BT7 Battle Cruiser in to space dust!

Well done guys. I can't work out how you do it. I tried but I guess the Force is just not with me.

Fun track too by the way, and nicely made. Might even be fun to race on in the 65s in a Falkenberg kind of way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links