• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 11 2018 - 06:06 PM

I just spotted this from gplaps and Danny Karnage, on YT.

Never seen it before, but really enjoyed DK's race.

Not sure if you all have seen it. If so I must have been on the moon. But the link is here for, those of you, like me, who haven't seen it.

Inspiration is now upon me to re-install this game on my pc.
I know I have done it before, but failed to get away from the blocky dos graphics.

Anyway enjoy 😀

https://youtu.be/tSjt0w-uTwc

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 11 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#2 guiporsche

guiporsche

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 10:25 AM

Haha, the world is a small place. By watching GPLaps I also got curious about ICR2. I reckon the only way to play it is through Dosbox?
I couldn't even install the game from a CD image, as apparently it's incompatible with my 64-bit Windows - no ammount of fiddling with the compatibility settings sorted it out.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,414 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 02:46 PM

Hi

I managed to install the game through dosbox 0.74.

The dosbox I use, which I find better, is D-fend reloaded.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net

You install and in settings you can install auto from the cd in your drive.

The game works but I can't get better resolution and 640x480 like in the video and like others have done. I have tried the -h after Indycar2 exe target Field, but it stills runs in dosbox lower resolution.

Through my research someone said there is another Indycar 2 windows and better version called cart, but I am confused. I have this Indycar 2 disc and also the first earlier Indycar and one called Indianapolis 500.

I have got all the Sierra patches from here. http://www.sierrahel...ingUpdates.html

But still no joy in improving the graphics. So no idea how DK got it running and looking so good ?

TP:

#4 Purojannu

Purojannu

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 03:11 PM

I think it's not possible to get better resolution than 640x480. You should get that by typing "indycar -h". Without -h it looks quite awful. I'm not sure though which resolution I have, but it doesn't look that bad. DK uses the original Phoenix track on that video but there is a better version of that track too. You can download tracks and carsets etc. from icr2.net and there's also a forum.

I still enjoy the game very much, my favourite sim alongside GPL.

Edited by Purojannu, Jan 13 2018 - 03:18 PM.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,414 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 13 2018 - 05:50 PM

Hi Purojannu

I am aware the game will only bump up to 640x480, from about 320x? (Forgot exact) default graphics res. The latter been really bad and unable to see the driving line, due to the bad pixel/jaggy graphics. I am also not expecting it to be super Res.

But for some reason the -h makes no difference. There is a command line in dosbox/dfend reloaded and adding -h gives me an error. If I go to C\users where the directory of DOS games are stored, by dfend, I can go into the Indycar 2 game directory, where the game exe is. Then going to the exe properties and the games target Field. I can put in the -h there, but it makes no difference. I have tried both, gap after exe then -h and no gap -h. But still no joy.

Thanks for your post and help though 😀

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 13 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 02:22 AM

View PostPurojannu, on Jan 13 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

DK uses the original Phoenix track on that video but there is a better version of that track too.
No, he uses my track on that video.

#7 Purojannu

Purojannu

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 05:53 AM

View PostPavel, on Jan 14 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

View PostPurojannu, on Jan 13 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

DK uses the original Phoenix track on that video but there is a better version of that track too.
No, he uses my track on that video.

Hmm, you are right. I should have noticed that because your Phoenix is my favourite oval at ICR2. The original one isn't too accurate which is problem with many other tracks as you know well.

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 13 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Hi Purojannu

I am aware the game will only bump up to 640x480, from about 320x? (Forgot exact) default graphics res. The latter been really bad and unable to see the driving line, due to the bad pixel/jaggy graphics. I am also not expecting it to be super Res.

But for some reason the -h makes no difference. There is a command line in dosbox/dfend reloaded and adding -h gives me an error. If I go to C\users where the directory of DOS games are stored, by dfend, I can go into the Indycar 2 game directory, where the game exe is. Then going to the exe properties and the games target Field. I can put in the -h there, but it makes no difference. I have tried both, gap after exe then -h and no gap -h. But still no joy.

I don't use D-Fend Reloaded but don't understand where the problem is if you are able to play with VGA graphics. Maybe it's something with the DosBox config file. As far as I know the graphics are not any better with Windows version or Cart Racing.

Edited by Purojannu, Jan 14 2018 - 06:12 AM.

#8 Chuck Kandler

Chuck Kandler

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 06:45 AM

There is also this abandonware site that has ICR2 ready to go in Windows. Works on my 64bit Windows 10.

http://www.old-games...dycar-racing-ii

#9 RacerBG

RacerBG

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Old (classic) racing games.

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 08:05 AM

Hi guys,

I'm ICR2 and ICR1 player myself and I will try to make a few things clear for you. :)

First of all - do not install ICR2, you can't really do that on modern PC's. Get it from the internet, in most cases it's already a full game installation.

Indianapolis circuit will be missing, I will give you a link in a moment...

Run the game with DOSBOX 0.74 or virtual machine or old machine, whatever you have there! :D You can't run it natively anymore.

Install patch 1.02 (optionally the Paintkit patch), link below...

Avoid the Windows version, just a few people can run it at all!

The native resolution is 320x240 VGA, 640x480 is the SVGA with "indycar -h".

You can have as many carsets in your game as you want (put them in the "cars" folder) and painting a car takes only around 5-10 minutes.

The track limit is around 30 tracks per game installation. Ypu can have as many "games" as you want on your HDD but personally I had never reached this limit.

In DOSBOX conf file set memsize to 64 THIS IS A MUST! The other stuff is up to you. ;)

If you have more questions you can ask them here. :)

Links:

https://icr2.net/

https://icr2.net/forum/

Here are the patches and stuff: http://www.sierrahel...ingUpdates.html

And here is Indianapolis 500 made by Pavel69, he is awesome track maker by the way: https://icr2.net/for...?tid=421&page=2

Below are the files for Indy 500, read his post for installation instructions. I upload them here for fast access.

Attached Files

Edited by RacerBG, Jan 14 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#10 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,414 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 14 2018 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Racer BG for your detailed advice, help, info and links.

I have briefly tried what your guide says, but still getting DOS graphics.

For some reason if I get plain 0.74 dosbox, the game won't install. But the dfend reloaded dosbox console, installs Irc2 into dosbox 0.74 by disc in drive.

I just need to get my thinking cap on and try solve this, for which I will try to do in the coming week.

No idea what I am doing wrong, or if it's me or the dfend reloaded. Tried the -h with the exe again, but no joy.

I know it's something simple, but I just can't put my finger on it, or the correct procedure. Maybe a simple idiots step by step guide is required 😀🤔

Anyway thanks again 🤗

PS: I tried the windy exe. No joy. Also on the icr2 site, I joined up,it's letting me log in, but not downloading. Also not getting activation email ?

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 14 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#11 RacerBG

RacerBG

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Old (classic) racing games.

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 04:04 AM

You will receive one I'm sure!

Okay, you asked for it, I will compile simple instructions for you:

1. I won't post exact link here but www.myabandoware.com or www.bestoldgames.net have ICR2 ready for download (ready to go version).

2. Download and install DOSBOX 0.74 (follow the default steps): https://www.dosbox.c...load.php?main=1

3. No need to use D-Fend or anything like this, you will be PRO in no time! :D

4. Set up your DOSBOX: Go to your Start Menu -> DOSBox\Options directory and click on DOSBox Options. Modify only this options and according to your PC setup (for example change your fullresolution to your resolution). Memsize on 32 or 64, your choice.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=640x480
output=ddraw

memsize=32

aspect=false
scaler=hq3x

timed=false # If you have joystick this will help you to calibrate it correctly.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

MOUNT D D:\DOS
D:

The last one will save you a few lines when you start DOSBOX. D is my drive and DOS is the directory in which I place my DOS games. Save this and close the dosbox-0.74.conf file.

5. Place the ICR2 folder somewhere on your HDD (look at my example).

6. Run setup by starting DOSBOX and type: cd ICR2 and then setup.

7. Choose "Setup Sound Card - Automatic" and after that choose "Exit to DOS" (do this for first and last time).

8. Start ICR2: indycar -h

9. Optionally open your DOSBOX shortcut and add this to the Target area: "-noconsole" (my Target area: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -noconsole)

10. Enjoy! :)

Edited by RacerBG, Jan 15 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#12 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 09:52 AM

Oddly enough I was playing ICR2 this weekend!

The trick to getting it running with dosbox is to make sure you don't mount the exact directory the INDYCAR.EXE is in. You have to first mount a higher-level directory and then navigate to it. You can use the dosbox.conf autoexec section to automate this for you.

You might have trouble running some of the more elaborate custom Carsets with DOSBOX. The higher-poly models really bog down the framerate. Anything with the original model seems to work well but of course looks a fair deal worse. I ran the WINDY (windows) version for a while but it is not very reliable. The DOS version seems to be the one to go with even though keeping a top framerate with all the goodies might not be possible.

Pavel has made some great tracks which really improve the game. You can really race from 1987 - 1999 with accuracy.

Great times with this sim though. I so badly wish it supported a higher resolution but other than that its a ton of fun. I completed a full Long Beach Grand Prix and Phoenix GP. Onwards to Indy!

#13 guiporsche

guiporsche

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 11:28 AM

Jesus, thank you so much guys, for all your detailed feeback.

@twinpotter

I've tried D-Fend like you, and the trick to have "hi-res" graphics is to add '-h' in the 'Program parameters' section of the profile editor you set up for the game.

The only thing I was unable to install was the 1.02 patch: Windows simply does not recognize the files as compatible with my 64-bit OS. I must say I've recently installed the Fall Creators Update, and that might have something to do with it.

#14 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 11:50 AM

View Postguiporsche, on Jan 15 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

Jesus, thank you so much guys, for all your detailed feeback.

@twinpotter

I've tried D-Fend like you, and the trick to have "hi-res" graphics is to add '-h' in the 'Program parameters' section of the profile editor you set up for the game.

The only thing I was unable to install was the 1.02 patch: Windows simply does not recognize the files as compatible with my 64-bit OS. I must say I've recently installed the Fall Creators Update, and that might have something to do with it.

Try placing all of the patch files in your Indycar2 directory and running the patch.exe through DOSBOX. Worked for me!

#15 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,414 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 15 2018 - 02:44 PM

Thanks all for your help, info and relevent input.

Thanks very much, RacerBG for the detailed guide. This will really help.

I am really, really busy at present, due to new year topics, at work. But when I have chance, I will follow the instructions and if required, report back if I fall foul.

I really want to get this going, for the Indycar buzz 😀

Thanks all again !

TP: Head spinning, Lol 😀

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links