guiporsche

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 08 2020 - 11:41 AM

Hello guys, my old personal laptop finally broke down and given the state of my bank account, for the next months I'm stuck with the one from my job. I have tried to install GEM or the GPLPS installer without success, predictably, for I don't have the admin rights to do so.
As I am paranoid about data losses, I do, however, have a backup of my GPL folder with all the mods, which I have placed on C:/.
Meanwhile, I have also used Universal Extractor to get the GEM files from the installer but GEM still does not work at all. Is there a way to make it work without admin rights?

Edited by guiporsche, Jan 08 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,103 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 06:02 AM

Here is the GEM+installer unpacked.
You need to put the files in their folder then add to the registry what you find under [Registry] in the install_script.iss (open it as a txt file) check the EDIT below; if you are a little into computer stuff, should be doable.
Hope it works :)
Attached File  gem+_install_unpacked.7z   9.17MB   2 downloads

EDIT:
I just check my registry and what I found are just these 2 sets of commands to add to it.
The first (gem+1.reg) you can just double click and it will be added to the registry.
The second (gem+2.reg) needs to be edited in a txt editor before to run it; you need to replace the directory trees in there with the one you used for your GPLsecrets files.
Attached File  gem+_registry.7z   496bytes   3 downloads

#3 guiporsche

guiporsche

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Jan 09 2020 - 12:40 PM

Thank you so much for getting back to me Ginetto, I really appreciate it! I'm most definitely into doing a bit of computer stuff, especially when it's about getting GPL up and running. I'll try this and will let you know. :bowdown2:

#4 guiporsche

guiporsche

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 02:58 PM

So, I tried the registry tweaks but it's still not working and I reckon I figured out why. Amongst the files that the GEM setup is supposed to install is a series of dll files ( 'GPLPatchDLL', 'MSCOMCTL', 'MSINET', 'SYSINFO') in the SysWoW64 folder of C:/Windows/. Unfortunately as this is a System folder I have... no admin rights to make changes to it. If I try to run GEM I get the dreaded 'Unknown message for fatal error'.

Don't know if I should cry or laugh, it's a Catch22 :D

Edited by guiporsche, Jan 10 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,103 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 04:08 AM

You know what you could do?
get a linux based rescue disk such as http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ and turn on the computer with that.
Once in it, you can do whatever you want with the files, move them where you want. :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links