- - - - -

Moving From Windows 7 To Windows 10, Which Updates Should I Avoid For Gpl?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 26 2019 - 12:33 PM

I'm well aware of the privacy issues with W10, but in my opinion there is no alternative OS that is as good.

Linux is too much trouble and Mac OS is absolutely terrible in my opinion. I do admire people that go the Linux route, it's just not for me.

#22 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Nov 26 2019 - 01:05 PM

It's the small town way. Everybody knows everybody. I go hunting and fly fishing with the bank president.

Hey Pete so long as you don't shoot the bank president by accident 😂🤭

So Cookie if you buy a let's say laptop with Windows 10 and set up the machine (from start) with your manual settings and not express or default settings. MS can still pinch your data and snoop on you 🤔

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Nov 26 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#23 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 26 2019 - 05:50 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Nov 26 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

So Cookie if you buy a let's say laptop with Windows 10 and set up the machine (from start) with your manual settings and not express or default settings. MS can still pinch your data and snoop on you

TP:

Yes, that's exactly what everybody should know....

#24 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted Nov 26 2019 - 06:04 PM

MS only lets expensive enterprise W10 versions switch off their "maintenance"...

Linux is no trouble at all for the daily use, contrary to W10!
My sister has a linux mint for years now and uses it for banking and tax declarations without problems.

The only downside for us is the lack of proprietary AMD + intel GPU support for gaming.

Edited by Cookie, Nov 26 2019 - 06:05 PM.

#25 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted Nov 27 2019 - 11:05 AM

I've always been on AMD gpu's and will continue to be so in the future so that's already a reason not to go for Linux.

#26 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Nov 27 2019 - 01:02 PM

@ Cookie 👍 Thanks

TP:

#27 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,399 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Nov 27 2019 - 01:26 PM

"@ Cookie Thanks"

:yeahthat:

#28 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,045 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 27 2019 - 07:18 PM

View PostCookie, on Nov 26 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

MS only lets expensive enterprise W10 versions switch off their "maintenance"...

Some time ago somebody (possibly on this forum?) gave me a recommendation for a piece of software called "Winaero Tweaker" (https://winaero.com). I was a little skeptical, but I downloaded it and tried it out. It has a lot of settings displayed which can be a little overwhelming at first. But if you search through them, you can find a lot of things that you can tweak in Windows, including a tickbox which allows you to turn off automatic updates on Win 10. When I set the option, I thought to myself "Can it really be that simple?" but yes, it definitely stopped Microsoft updates. A couple of months ago, just from curiosity, I changed the tickbox, and a few minutes later I got a notification requesting a restart so that updates could be installed. So it really does work.

EDIT: I just did a search - it was leon_90 and his post is here ->  http://srmz.net/inde...63

Edited by Saiph, Nov 27 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#29 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 08:25 AM

1.: Yes, Winaero tweaker is a pretty cool tool. But you should know what you're doing!  (Saiph, in your case I'm sure you do, but we should be careful with tweaking tips for the 'general audience'.

2.: I very strongly oppose turning off updates as a tip, especially on a machine that's connected to the internet. If you're that concerned about your privacy then Cookie is absolutely right and you should'nt use Windows at all. But turning off updates has the potental to turn your machine into a malware catapult.

#30 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 08:42 AM

Yes the updates are of course important,
but as MS has closed its own testing division and let user test the updates, (Windows 10 Insider)
it is only a good idea to wait some days if they are making troubles and to install them afterwards ;)

A last example were the september updates that made lots of troubles all over the world...

#31 Daniel0099

Daniel0099

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Racing sim, music

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 08:56 AM

I still often hear people having GPL problems because of updates.

I have both W10 and W7 installed on my PC. I was not able to run full resolution on my pc with W10 even after many try. So I installed W7 as dual (second) OS and solved my resolution problem, now it’s very fast.
And the loading time is similar except you see the desktop a bit faster on W10 but it keeps loading in the background and slows your access to anything so there’s no advantage there.

#32 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,045 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostYngwie, on Nov 28 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

1.: Yes, Winaero tweaker is a pretty cool tool. But you should know what you're doing!  (Saiph, in your case I'm sure you do, but we should be careful with tweaking tips for the 'general audience'.

Absolutely agree. Maybe I should have added my own note of caution about which settings to mess around with. Never touch anything which you don't fully understand. (Hence my caution with women. ;) :D)

View PostYngwie, on Nov 28 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

2.: I very strongly oppose turning off updates as a tip, especially on a machine that's connected to the internet. If you're that concerned about your privacy then Cookie is absolutely right and you should'nt use Windows at all. But turning off updates has the potental to turn your machine into a malware catapult.

This is true too (to a certain extent). Although I keep updates off 99% of the time so that they don't irritate me so often, I do allow my PC to update itself every couple of months when I know I can leave it running for an hour or two on its own. Then the slowness of the update procedure doesn't bother me.

#33 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 12:33 PM

if you use another anti virus program maybe , but if you use the build in (window defender) you need those regular update, thats the reason why i shift from window 7 to 10 ,its because the former system( microsoft security essential )wasnt  support anymore, never had any problem withe there system ,couldnt say the same with other anti virus prog that i had before that mcaffee ,Norton ect

Edited by KARTM, Nov 28 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#34 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 01:03 PM

Same here KARTM, I switch too because the security updates will stop on the 14th of january. I have ESET Smart security which has kept me virus and malware free since I started using it in 2011, but I don't want to solely depend on it. It might not be enough without the MS security updates.

@Daniel0099, ai that worries me a bit. I hope that won't happen to me. What are the specs of your pc?

Another question then: If I do happen to run in to a weird bug with GPL on W10 I will still have my complete W7 system as well.
Would it be safe to keep that W7 system connected to the internet only for GPL online racing?

Edited by Millennium, Nov 28 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#35 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostMillennium, on Nov 28 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Would it be safe to keep that W7 system connected to the internet only for GPL online racing?

Kind of. If it's GPL only I'd suggest to just keep the needed ports open in the firewall and shut everything else  (incl. ports for http, ftp etc.), so even browers can't connect to the net anymore.  If you're behind a router make sure NAT-filtering is enabled in it. But that should be standard nowadays.

Edited by Yngwie, Nov 28 2019 - 01:52 PM.

#36 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thanks, I hope it won't be needed but it might be an option.

#37 Daniel0099

Daniel0099

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 28 2019 - 11:03 PM

My PC, dual boot Win7 and Win10 -- (Win10 unable to run 36fps full res, while Win7 runs 60fps full res)
  • MB:  ​ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING
  • CPU: Intel ‐ Core i7‐8700K 3.7GHz
  • 3Monitors:  1920x1080
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 960

#38 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted Nov 29 2019 - 08:56 AM

Daniel
try the NVidia profile settings of Stefans how-to: http://www.gplworld....tallation-guide

#39 Daniel0099

Daniel0099

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 29 2019 - 09:18 AM

With that slow performance of Win10, I tried almost all combinations of graphics card setup and improved the situation. I also tried Bob Simpson’s profile but didn’t improve over what I had. But still couldn’t run full res.
But I may have missed something so I will try your suggestion. Thanks for the info.
Obviously, 3 monitors is demanding a lot to a graphics card. So someone with only one monitor might be OK depending on the application and the FPS he runs.

But the fact remains that contrary to the saying, Win10 is slower than Win7 for graphics.

#40 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted Nov 29 2019 - 09:41 AM

Maybe the cpu goes into a power saving mode or something similair when on W10? I just can't imagine GPL being that demanding for a 960, even with triple monitors. Usually bad peformance is related to the cpu in my experience.

Edited by Millennium, Nov 29 2019 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links