• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 01 2016 - 07:15 PM

I find it a little strange that some people think that it would have been better and more "exciting" if the Monaco GP had started normally, instead of behind the safety car. Even at safety car speeds, didn't you guys see the enormous amounts of spray that were being churned up by the cars? Do you think it's a good idea for the drivers to be unable to see where they're going? Bearing in mind that GPL is modelled on an era when drivers were regularly losing their lives, shouldn't we be a bit more aware of the possibility of modern drivers losing theirs too, especially after what happened to Jules Bianchi in the rain at Suzuka?

#17 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jun 01 2016 - 10:55 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Jun 01 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

View Postmarco lenarduzzi, on Jun 01 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Yes, I agree that F1 has become boring and predictable. Money is the driving force and we the fans are paying dearly for it. The sport has become fat and heavy with rules ,regulations and political correctness. This is just a byproduct of the society we now live in.  Yes safety should be a priority but it has destroyed the comradery amongst the drivers. They lack respect for one another and act like little babies when someone actually tries to race them.

Perhaps the governing body should think about actually letting these boys race and stop penalizing them for stupid infractions that didn't exist 15 years ago.

Racing is inherently dangerous and will always be dangerous,so when a person decides to climb into a race car he knows that the possibility of injury or death is a given. That is his or her choice.  No matter what precautions we take  there will always be something we couldn't possibly have imagined that will take a life.

Marco, this is what has happened to EVERY sport which has gotten big money-wise.  Everyone attached to it depends on it for their livelihood, from the drivers, right down to the people who make the engines, sensors, paint the helmets, provide timing and safety equipment for the track etc.

What you’re wishing for is to watch amateurs racing lower budget cars in local events.  And those are around, but the level of driving skill will be less.

You are absolutely right Bob,it's happened to all sports and has taken away the essence of  what it meant to play or drive with heart ! They all get paid regardless.
Passion is something that comes to mind when Lauda came back after his accident to almost win the championship or Villeneuve and Arnoux battling for second place at the French GP.  Ken Tyrrell's small team of underdogs, beating well established teams for 2 drivers and 1 constructors championship. These are the kinds of things that made F1 interesting and is no longer or rarely existent.  

I enjoy going to a local track to watch what could be future stars race for the pleasure of racing. I admire those people who spend their weekends on something they love doing just for the sake of doing it but on a professional level this has disappeared. There is a visible lack of passion,unpredictability and excitement in the sport today. ( In my humble opinion)

#18 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Jun 02 2016 - 05:45 AM

I'm quoting Joe Saward.

"I don’t believe that races should ever start behind Safety Cars. It is self-defeating for the sport and makes the heroes look feeble, tiptoeing around behind a road car. Racing drivers should be viewed as people who are different; who are special; who do things that normal people cannot do. They can choose when they think things are dangerous. None are forced to race. They can pull into the pits and say: “This is too much”, as Niki Lauda did in 1976 or Emerson Fittipaldi did a year before that in Spain. No-one sensible ever called them cowards. They were racing drivers exercising their choice."

https://joesaward.wo...6/06/02/heroes/

Edited by fajanko, Jun 02 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#19 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Jun 02 2016 - 10:18 AM

No matter how different or special they are, if they can't see, they won't go through the corner. The way the St Devote is configured today, coupled with :crap: visibility out of modern cockpits, makes it a place that causes issues every single year even in dry conditions. There's no way they can go through it on lap one and normal start in the rain - half of the grid would be wiped out.

No matter how we like Monaco, it's just not suited at all for modern open wheelers, or any modern race cars for that matter. The race is held over there only because of glamorous tradition and money involved.

#20 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 02 2016 - 11:32 AM

I hope it's sunny next year.
LOL 😁

TP:

#21 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Jun 02 2016 - 12:06 PM

Let's make it a hotlap challenge then :)

#22 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 02 2016 - 02:37 PM

Have we forgot about Louisiana last year with the Indycars? just sayin.. :whistling:

#23 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,542 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jun 11 2016 - 08:15 AM

:blue: (New Orleans is my hometown ... they really made a mess out of it, helped by really poor weather)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links