Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Vintage motorsports, Sim Racing, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 02:13 AM

Hi all!

I used the search and also got some useful info but still I am a bit confused so here comes my question:

Since a few weeks I experience spikey, noisy, whatever break and gas pedals on my Logi Driving Force GT. Nothing special you might say, old wheel it is, yes... What confuses me is the fact that I can run for a good amount of time (say 1-1.5h) without issues and then the issue starts. I would expect that a worn pot creates noise right from the start. Moreover, when I connect the pedals of my even older Momo Racing Force (the newer, black rim version) I have same issues, spikes after above mentioned time. When using the Momo wheel there are no spikes with neither set of pedals.

So before I start stripping my equipment I would like to hear from you a forensic analysis of what could be wrong here.

Thanks a lot for your input!

N.B.: I know that replacing the rig is probably a good idea, but I don't have a budget approved by the finance office until Xmas ;-)

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 02:25 AM

Hi

I would say something is wrong with the connection of the Pedals and your DFGT imo on the wheel side.

Testing all cables if there are spikes when moving them.
Sometimes the plugs if often used are worn out or have bad contact so maybe the use of contact spray could help.

But imo the most recent is that there is a cold soldering in the wheelbase.
(kalte Lötstelle im Bereich der Pedalanschlussbuchse im DFGT - wackle am Stecker!)

Nothing big but you should know what you are doing and know how to solder ( Kannst mitm Lötkolben umgehen?)

Edited by Cookie, Jun 29 2020 - 02:25 AM.

#3 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 05:05 AM

Try a different USB port on the PC in case there is a surge in the port. You could also try another cable.

Also buy some contact cleaner and spray it inside the pots. Make sure it is all clean around there too, blow out any dust and hair etc. Though if the pots are worn out you will need to replace them.

There is not much else you can do.

Edited by PTRACER, Jun 29 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 05:10 AM

It looks like something is becoming hot...

A loose soldered connection looses contact when hot!

#5 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Breathing

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 05:30 AM

Same issues with different pedals points to the controller board of the wheel. If you're not experienced with tracing faulty electronics then there's not much you can do about it.

As Cookie suggested, try to re-solder all connections of the plug in the wheelbase (you can't always spot dead solderings with the bare eye). If that doesn't help, it's maybe a stressed capacitor.

#6 tdurrett

tdurrett

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 06:47 AM

There is a youtube video on disassembly/cleaning of the Logitech G27 which solved the exact problem you are having--see if there is something on the Driving Force GT.
I was amazed at the amount of dust and hair etc. on my pedals before cleaning.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 01:30 PM

Maybe the use of Kältespray would show where to resolder...

#8 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Breathing

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 02:45 PM

View PostCookie, on Jun 29 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

Maybe the use of Kältespray would show where to resolder...

Ehm...not in this case, I'm afraid. The contacts are pretty close to each other and heat up their neighbours. Cooling agents tend to react to slightest warmths, so you'd have a hard time to spot the right place. And since all the solderings are of the same age, it's a good idea to renew them all once the chassis is opened.

Solderings from the last 20 years tend to be less stable than in the past because of the reduced/eliminated content of lead, which keeps old electronic connections flexible over time.

#9 lorenzo

lorenzo

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Jun 30 2020 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the valuable hints so far!!!

I will check the connection of the pedals inside the wheelbase, seems to be the most logical point to me. Maybe I also cut off the old connector of the cable and fit a new one. If this doesn't bring me any further I might consider buying an USB adapter for the pedals to be connected as a separate device. Are there any issues with GPL and two input devices?

Thanks again!

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 30 2020 - 02:08 AM

No problem here with a G27 wheel and fanatec CSPedals - it just opens a next side in the GPL calibration.

#11 lorenzo

lorenzo

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Jun 30 2020 - 03:07 PM

Ok boys, I am giving up on it. I tried contact fluid, resoldered the connectors on both end of the pedal cable, also redone the connector on the board but nothing cured it. Now it's probably down to component level, which is way above my talent. So I will give Leo Bodnar's USB adapter a shot.

Thanks for your support!

[EDIT] Thanks Yngwie!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lorenzo, Jul 01 2020 - 01:14 AM.

#12 lorenzo

lorenzo

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Jul 02 2020 - 02:32 AM

Strange thing! Yesterday I fired it up again just to check on a few things and it worked without issues for over 2 hours (when I finally went to bed :checkeredflag:). Maybe has to do with ambient pressure and humidity or moon phase or solar eruptions, I don't know. Maybe the contact spray unfolded its full potential over night. Maybe by wife built in a function to make me not to stay up late :D. Anyway, I am looking forward to trying the Bodnar USB adapter which I have been offered to test by a very kind community member.

[EDIT] problem still there... all my hopes are now with the USB adapter.

Edited by lorenzo, Yesterday, 01:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links