• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 31 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi all. Sorry about necroing a very old thread, but as this seems to be the main thread about the 4GB patch, I thought it was the most appropriate place to talk about it and ask questions. A number of people have been talking about the patch recently in various threads, and they've got me thinking that it might be worth trying out.

I don't really have any serious problems with GPL at the moment, especially as I concentrate mainly on solo driving and admiring the scenery (!), but I have occasionally noticed some slight stuttering at Spa 67. I've seen comments that users should patch the gplcgt.exe, gplc67.exe etc, but surely if they do that, and they're using GEM, then the next time GEM recreates the EXE file, the patch will get wiped out.

My main question therefore is: If you're using GEM, is it best to use the patch on the base gpl.exe? Can GEM still use this as a valid base to create the various mod EXE files? Are there any possible problems which might occur?

And one supplementary question: Is there any available utility which can check if an EXE file has the 4GB patch applied? I checked gplinspect.exe, but this seems to have been developed before the 4GB patch became available, and doesn't mention it.

I suppose one technique to do this would be to back up my current gplcgt.exe (for example), apply the patch to my base gpl.exe, then allow/force GEM to recreate the gplcgt.exe and check it against the original. I have a hex editor which can do comparisons between files, so that should show if the two EXE files are different.

As usual, thanks for any help offered. :thumbup: :wave:

Edited by Saiph, May 31 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#17 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 31 2017 - 05:31 PM

----    See   below  ----

Edited by gliebzeit, Jun 01 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#18 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 31 2017 - 05:46 PM

Fantastic. Thanks for the quick response Greg, and for answering my questions so clearly. I think I'll give it a try. :thumbup:

#19 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 31 2017 - 06:07 PM

Keith, I was too quick to answer.  There are two places that are patched for the 4GB 64-bit flag.

Keith, using a hex editor you can examine the first page of the executable dump.  The flags for 32-bit/64-bit execution are at x0000c6 and x000108 in the gpl.exe.

To answer your other question, yes, you can patch the "donor" gpl.exe which will be used by GEM+ to do its mod patching.

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Jun 01 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#20 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted May 31 2017 - 06:55 PM

Ah, ok, thanks for the update!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links