Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 29 2018 - 02:49 PM

Hi All,

I'm looking in the CA66 mod, and I'm struggling to understand how the different skins work. For example, for Mosport the dr66CA.ini file has an entry for McLaren:

skin = 403

I expect to see a .3do file in the Car folder (brabham, in this case) called something like mcl403a.3do, but it doesn't exist. But there are ones called mcl405a.3do and mcl406a.3do.

How does GPL cross-reference the 'skin' parameter value to a 3do file?

Thanks.

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,055 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 29 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hi Jonny.

GPL gets the AI driver and car number to display in-game as usual.  The first 3 characters of the driver's name, the car number and 'a' for the AI 3do file.  Thus, for example, MCL4a.3do.  But, if there are race-specific carsets and there are more than one race with McLaren in car #4 ... and the cars have different graphics ... then when need the skin = parameter within the dr66CA.ini file (for example).

Using the skin =  parameter we can make GPL look in the car folder for a different AI driver 3do file for McLaren.  Say we use 401.  The '4' tells us it will have the car will be #4 and the '01' gives a unique 3do.  Thus, in the car folder we need MCL401a.3do.  Now, it gets interesting.  This MCL401a.3do can call the alternate graphic #4 carskin as say MCL401a.mip.  Or the MCL401a.3do can use the MCL4a.mip carskin but have McLaren wearing a different helmet, or maybe a scarf face mip,

The thing to remember is that once the Mod is released you have control as to how you make these files 'work'.  You can follow the method that the Mod-makers used, though, to keep things organized. :)

#3 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted Sep 29 2018 - 03:21 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that explanation. But I am still stuck. In this example, where skin = 403, there is no mcl403a.3do so what file is GPL using?

I don't think it uses mcl4a.3do, because I have modified the .mip files that .3do references, but with no effect.

???

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,055 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 29 2018 - 04:01 PM

Jonny, check the c10 car folder under the canm66 folder.

Remember there are two unique shapes for the McLaren M1B - with a rear spoiler lip ... and with a rear wing.  The rear wing is the brabham car folder and the rear spoiler is the c10 car folder.  :)

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 29 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted Sep 30 2018 - 01:53 AM

Aaah! I didn't know that. Thanks Greg.

It's doing what I want now.

Edited by JonnyA, Sep 30 2018 - 02:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links