ed76

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2013 - 11:40 AM

View Postdavef, on Jan 30 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Hey ed76 :hat-tip: have you had time to work on  a disguise for Warwick Farm ? :artist:

I make this beta version of Bavaria , AI ( updated ) are not very good

Attached File  bavaria.rar   4.24MB   30 downloads

Edited by ed76, Jan 31 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#47 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Feb 12 2013 - 08:20 PM

In keeping with the theme, a "1970 Australian GP" carset.

Attached File  AGPset.jpg   137.71K   182 downloads

#48 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Feb 12 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostArgyle1968, on Feb 12 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Attachment AGPset.jpg

Very nice Argyle1968 ! :artist:

Is this a carset in progress ? Does it involve the 69xtra cars as the base for this carset ? This looks very cool.
Thank you for the preview ! :drive:

#49 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Feb 13 2013 - 04:32 AM

View Postdavef, on Feb 12 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostArgyle1968, on Feb 12 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Attachment AGPset.jpg

Very nice Argyle1968 ! :artist:

Is this a carset in progress ? Does it involve the 69xtra cars as the base for this carset ? This looks very cool.
Thank you for the preview ! :drive:

Thank you.  :up:  

The early 1970's is my favorite in motor racing and so I have used GPL to try to re-create some of those times, to the extent I am able, through the work of the the many great track makers, editors, car editors, and others who have contributed add-ons and edits to GPL.  My contributions are tame by comparison, and are limited to purely cosmetic edits, such as the ones ed76 has made in in this thread, using one track which is "similar to" another in length, elevation, course, etc., and then re-working it with graphical updates to "simulate" a missing track (for example, to add tracks to my NZ Gold Star set, I used Nivelles, stripped it of signage, added some different background fencing, and a new horizon and program, and voila--Bay Park).  And creating carsets for the historical racing series/races I had an interest in, such as the 1970-71 Tasman, Australian/NZ Gold Star, Asian Formula Libre, South African F1, UK F5000, US F5000....

The AGP set is one of several in-progress car sets I have going, from that time period.  To be honest, they have been on my computer in varying states for years, and I don't keep notes, and I started the skins and sets before the '69 mod cars were released and after the Hoad car editor made its appearance, but yes, I think I ultimately switched over to the 69 mod cars after Paul Skingley and his crew released those because I liked them better.  I still used the car editor to tilt the rear wing back and move it back further on a couple of them, especially the McLaren, as the '70 cars were lower and flatter, I think. Anyway, that was the extent of my great car editing skills.  The rest has been simply confined to researching/collecting the series from 1970-1, collecting suitable tracks,  and painting skins.

Currently, I have the following going:

1969/70 NZ Gold Star
1970 Australian Gold Star
1970 Australian GP
1970 Tasman NZ rounds
1970 Tasman Australian rounds
1970 Asian Formula Libre
1970 South African F1
1970 UK F5000
1970 US F5000
1970 South American F2/"Temporada"

I also have started 1971 versions of the Aus/NZ sets.

I was initially hopeful that the GPL Tasman Project would be seen through to completion, and that Warwick Farm, Pukekohe, Teretonga and Longford would see the light of day, but it seems that is not meant to happen.  As many great tracks that have been done, there are still some awesome ones that haven't--not only those, but Mallala, a period Oran Park, Symmons Plains, Bay Park, Levels, Ruapuna, Fuji, Shah Alam (Batu Tiga), the Singapore Thompson Road circuit, Penang, Bulawayo, Goldfields, Cordoba...lots of good period tracks.

Ideally, I would like to kick start a group that would be interested in working together to get some of this stuff done and GPL fleshed out to this end, but maybe that is a pipe dream, and maybe I am the only one who has an interest in this particular facet and time in racing, I dunno.  I have some resources (pictures, info, links) I have collected through the years to various cars and circuits, but it's too big for me to do with my limited technical knowledge of GPL.

Edited by Argyle1968, Feb 13 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#50 Argyle1968

Argyle1968

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Feb 13 2013 - 10:31 AM

I had fun reading through the earlier posts in this thread--it was interesting seeing ed76's take on the tracks he used to substitute for the missing Tasman tracks.  I'm always keen on seeing how others approach the same problems I've been trying to tackle myself.  Independently, as mentioned above, I have been working on F5000/libre carsets for several years now, for the Tasman, NZ, Australian, South African, UK, US, SE Asian, and South American motor racing scenes ca. 1970-ish.  I think I used a little bit different technique, and different base tracks, to arrive at similar results.  For example, an early effort to include Pukekohe in my Tasman set used Snetterton.  I renamed the .DAT file, unpacked it, hexed the relevant Snett67.XXX files, repacked the new Pukekohe.DAT and replaced it in the main track folder, and modified the page0, page 1 and page2 MIPs to create program and track info screens.  Simple, but it worked to suit my purposes.  Later, when I started getting comfortable editing graphics files, I worked with the unpacked MIPs, converting them to BMPs with Winmip2, then editing them as needed, re-converting them, and writing them to the main track folder.  Soon I had crudely "customized" alternative tracks that, if not authentic, at least looked different enough to play the part and serve as placeholders until the real thing came along.

I decided to use Dundrod for Longford.  Even if the length isn't right, the feel of the track is pretty close, I think, in terms of layout, setup and speed.  It also has a slightly similar look, scenery-wise.

#51 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Feb 13 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostArgyle1968, on Feb 13 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

I had fun reading through the earlier posts in this thread--it was interesting seeing ed76's take on the tracks he used to substitute for the missing Tasman tracks.  I'm always keen on seeing how others approach the same problems I've been trying to tackle myself.  Independently, as mentioned above, I have been working on F5000/libre carsets for several years now, for the Tasman, NZ, Australian, South African, UK, US, SE Asian, and South American motor racing scenes ca. 1970-ish.  I think I used a little bit different technique, and different base tracks, to arrive at similar results.  For example, an early effort to include Pukekohe in my Tasman set used Snetterton.  I renamed the .DAT file, unpacked it, hexed the relevant Snett67.XXX files, repacked the new Pukekohe.DAT and replaced it in the main track folder, and modified the page0, page 1 and page2 MIPs to create program and track info screens.  Simple, but it worked to suit my purposes.  Later, when I started getting comfortable editing graphics files, I worked with the unpacked MIPs, converting them to BMPs with Winmip2, then editing them as needed, re-converting them, and writing them to the main track folder.  Soon I had crudely "customized" alternative tracks that, if not authentic, at least looked different enough to play the part and serve as placeholders until the real thing came along.

I decided to use Dundrod for Longford.  Even if the length isn't right, the feel of the track is pretty close, I think, in terms of layout, setup and speed.  It also has a slightly similar look, scenery-wise.

If you feel comfortable sharing your work, please do so !  I'm sure there are many Tasman enthusiasts here that would enjoy your
work.

If you decide so, you might want to post them in a new topic in the Track Add-on forum. :)

#52 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted Feb 16 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Dec 18 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

For Longford you are probably best to substitute Reims as being the most similar in character and length and also lap time.

Rob
Reims (Rheims) is nothing like Longford, Rob.
There really is no circuit remotely like it - the railway crossing and the tight and dangerous piece under the viaduct are unique.
You had to be there to appreciate it, believe me! (I'm 67 yrs old, an Aussie and followed the Tasman series between 1964 and 1970).

IMO, both Longford and Warwick Farm need (need? well, that's subjective I s'pose!) to be modelled for GPL.

Bruce
Canberra

#53 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 16 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't disagree with you Bruce, but in terms of what we have available and released for GPL, Reims has more similarities to Longford than say Dundrod does for example, which I saw was another suggestion to use as a substitute. I have even seen Longford described as being the "Reims of the South Pacific" in some report or other I was reading.

Agreed that Reims doesn't have a section like the viaduct, or the narrow bridges, or the rail crossing, (as you say, where else does?), but what they do have in common are that they are public roads, they have two massively long straights where the cars get to top speed followed by very heavy braking into essentially hairpins and I think that they also have approximately similar total altitude change around the lap. They also both give lap times of around 130 seconds and are similar enough in length at 4.4 miles for Longford and 5.1 miles for Reims. As we were talking about substitutes here, that was why I suggested Reims, since cars that do well there would also do well at Longford.

Other than that, yes, I totally agree that it would be wonderful to have both Warwick Farm and Longford finished and available for use in GPL and so have no need to use substitutes at all. :)

Rob

#54 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted Feb 16 2013 - 08:17 PM

Rob,
You make some very valid points and I can certainly appreciate them.
Yes, I agree that Reims is more akin to the length and speeds that were experienced at Longford.

Like many others I too have substituted available tracks for those Tasman Cup locations which are not available, but my reasons were "What if they didn't race at (insert track or circuit) because (insert reason)?!"
This meant that I came up with Bathurst (and how I wished the Australian Grand Prix could always have been at Bathurst - even now!) for the 'Farm.
The reason? The AJC never developed the racing circuit, the proposal failing to win the support of the board members. :)
I never had a replacement for Longford.

All good fun. Maybe one day before my hand/eye coordination fails me there will be a Warwick Farm and Longford! :D

Regards,
Bruce

Edited by Bruce, Feb 16 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#55 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,469 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Feb 17 2013 - 02:45 AM

Warwick Farm hosted the AGP and Australians often said it was a great place to see all the action.With the bridge, I have read spectators cld go anywhere around the track.It was a very sad day when they closed it.

I didn't follow much GPL Tasman related threads or projects ( lack of time), but having some Australians period mags, that 's really surprising that  The Farm for GPL wasn 't completed prior to others Tasman tracks.
  And for sometime, period pics where "easier" to find than for others Tasman tracks.  

Now,maybe that's one of the fews lost missing tracks for GPL.As Longford is !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Feb 17 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#56 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted Feb 17 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Feb 17 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

Warwick Farm hosted the AGP and Australians often said it was a great place to see all the action.With the bridge, I have read spectators cld go anywhere around the track....
Correct.
Although I often spectated from Creek Corner (at the bottom end of Hume Straight, beyond the Dunlop Bridge, I would occasionally walk from that location, cross the bridge and then spend some time at the Esses. From there it was possible to continue the circumnavigation of the circuit by using Shell Bridge to cross to the outside again.

The Farm was a top venue in the days before TV coverage: if coming by road it was on the Hume Highway, a major interurban road; it had plenty of parking at the course and was also served by the suburban electric rail system with a station at the front gate.

As you rightly say, a very sad day when it folded.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce, Feb 17 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#57 SPman

SPman

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Golden Era F1 (1960-1990)
    Flying
    Motorbikes
    Steam engines

Posted May 09 2013 - 02:57 AM

There is a good site here

http://www.theroarin...com/content.php

There are lots of photos and threads from members (including me) of NZ and Aus racing 1955-2000. You need to go hunting in the General Forum, though.
The  "*** collection" threads are usually worthwhile.

View Postdavef, on Dec 19 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostSPman, on Dec 19 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Jeez - I bought all those magazines new at the time - 5 bob each- they are my reference for the Tasman series (and a lot of old b&w photos I took...)

Wow SPman I bet the forum would love to see your photos etc. of the Legendary Tasman Series ! Any chance you can scan &
post them ?

:GotPics:

Edited by SPman, May 09 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#58 ed76

ed76

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted Jun 22 2013 - 03:05 PM

To replace the Warwick Farm Tasman Track ,

I propose to Golita rather than Bavaria I do not like
http://srmz.net/inde...l.net/xxsoulxx/

with this addon : Attached File  golita update.rar   3.15MB   44 downloads

and this AI update : http://home.planet.n...rack-AI-fix.htm

if you want some spectators : Attached File  goli tribunes.rar   333.68K   25 downloads

Edited by ed76, Jun 23 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#59 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Jun 22 2013 - 10:04 PM

:up:  Brilliant ed76 !

Some screenshots :

Attached File  tas66.JPG   135.61K   93 downloadsAttached File  warwick1.JPG   102.23K   129 downloadsAttached File  warwick2.JPG   122.09K   150 downloads

Attached File  warwick3.JPG   109.79K   149 downloadsAttached File  warwick4.JPG   162.42K   137 downloadsAttached File  warwick5.JPG   106.03K   141 downloads

Attached File  warwick6.JPG   123.63K   146 downloadsAttached File  warwick7.JPG   142.12K   112 downloads

Edited by davef, Jun 22 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#60 ed76

ed76

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted Jun 23 2013 - 08:39 AM

I add an option ( some spectators ) see above : Golita tribunes

Posted Image

Edited by ed76, Jun 23 2013 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic