• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 otho

otho

Analog Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:History of all sorts, motorsports past and present, and a money-hungry '67 Mustang resto project.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 23 2019 - 08:50 PM

Hello folks,

A stupid question given how long I have been messing around with GPL, but when using the 1967 carset should you be able to switch between the RA273 and the RA300 in GEM and/or in the GPL player menus? I did a complete fresh install using gplinstall 1.08, copying over my players, setups, and tracks. I chose the RA273 in the installer, and indeed those were the in-game car graphics displayed, but the menus in GEM and the game only showed the RA300.

I had a few other bugs to work out, mostly some outdated driver.ini files in some of my tracks, but otherwise all seems well. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Charlie "Otho" Fox

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 24 2019 - 05:02 AM

For the original '67 car set, there is only one set of graphics available in GPL for each car slot. If you change one of the cars installed in the '67 car set (by installing or manually copying files into the appropriate "cars" directory), you would need to manually copy new graphics files into the 'layout' directory for the new car to be displayed in the GPL menus. Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever created separate sets of menu graphics for the RA273 and RA300 in the '67 car set. Of course, later mods allow you to change the in-game car graphics for some of the cars using a drop-down selection box, but even this option doesn't change the pics shown in the menus. Where this option is available, the menus are set up with multiple pics showing each car type.

It might be possible for modders to go back to the '67 car set and update the car selection menus to match the later mods, and add the drop-down box. But I don't think this will happen for three reasons: (1) It's been the same way for a long time now, (2) the '67 Historical mod is now available which allows the player to switch graphics for most of the cars, including the Honda, and (3) due to the age of GPL, the mod team is slowly reducing in size, and they are busy working on other projects, so it would be quite a low priority.

If you haven't tried the '67 Historical mod Charlie, I really recommend it. Although it will never completely replace the original '67 cars (due to all the old lap times held on the GPLRank website, for example), it's great fun having a much wider choice of cars from 1967. Personally, I really enjoy the Brabham BT19/20. Although it's underpowered compared to the other cars, it's small, light and very nimble. You can throw it around like a '65 car. And of course if you like the Hondas, you can switch between the RA273 and RA300 whenever you want.

Edited by Saiph, Feb 24 2019 - 05:15 AM.

#3 otho

otho

Analog Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:History of all sorts, motorsports past and present, and a money-hungry '67 Mustang resto project.

Posted Feb 24 2019 - 04:07 PM

Saiph,

Many thanks for your detailed and very thoughtful response. I had previously installed the 1967 Historical Mod, but I had not done much racing in it, being distracted by those pesky 1955 and 66/71 Can Am mods. I must have been conflating some of that previous experience with the mod when I was thinking about the RA273 screens. I do still hot lap from time to time to keep up my GPL Ranks, but there is no reason not to reinstall the 1967 Historical Mod to give it a thorough playing. I am very much in agreement in regards to the Brabhams - I love driving them (virtually). On a track like Zandvoort they can be awfully tough to beat!

Best regards, and thanks!

Charlie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links