- - - - -

A Problem With Killarney In Gpl Totalrank?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 16 2017 - 09:07 AM

Hi all.

I seem to have spotted a problem with the recent inclusion of Killarney into the GPL TotalRank. I tried to send an email to the GPLRank admins at the usual address, shown on their homepage, but it bounced back: "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table" :confused:

I thought an alternative communication link could be to post it here, so here it is:

---------------------------------------------------
Hi guys,
I logged in to GPLRank yesterday and saw that my various TotalRanks were now out-of-date and that I was missing one track. I assumed that you had added another track to the TotalRank, so I looked down the list and saw that it was "Killarney v2 1967".

I started up GEM and went to one of my TotalRank season files, and added the new version of Killarney into the file. I double-checked the details of the track, as I have two versions installed. The first version is the original, in the track directory "killarne". I installed this in 2014. The second updated version was released by Francesco in November 2015, and is installed in the track directory "killar67". I installed the new, updated version into my season file.

I then started up the GPL '65 mod, and went out on the track and recorded a lap time. Francesco mentioned in his release post on SRMZ that one of the things he updated was to remove a "tramline" effect from parts of the circuit, and I found that when I was driving, everything was nice and smooth, and there were no "tramlines".

After finishing my lap, I ran my GPLStats tool to check my laptimes, and my new lap showed up correctly, showing "killar67" as the track directory name. I then went to the GPLRank site and tried to upload my new laptime. I selected my "plac65.ini" file and uploaded it, but afterwards GPLRank still said that my 65 TotalRank was one track short!

I then opened up GEM again, and edited my TotalRank seasons file to include the old version of Killarney from the "killarne" directory. I went out on the track and recorded a laptime for that track, and as I was driving, I could tell that there were definitely "tramlines" on the track. My car was being pulled to the side at several places during the lap.

After I finished my lap, I quit GPL and tried to upload my "plac65.ini" file to GPLRank again, and now the site accepted my laptime. When I did the upload, I also noticed that a line appeared in the response from the website:
"Oops: No track entry for track directory 'killar67'"

It's quite likely that this message also showed up when I attempted the previous upload, but I was so eager to get back to the "Show my ranks" page that I didn't notice it.

From this evidence, it looks to me as if you guys have included the old version of Killarney in the TotalRank. Is this intentional, perhaps because other drivers have recorded laptimes there in the past? If it is intentional, why does the track name show up in the TotalRank list as "Killarney v2 1967" as this name is incorrect? I think perhaps it's more likely that you intended to include Francesco's updated version in the TotalRank, but something has unfortunately got mixed up so that GPLRank is reading times from the wrong track.

I hope this doesn't cause you too much hassle to fix. Thanks for keeping GPLRank and the TotalRanks going. As I don't find much time to race head-to-head online with other drivers, GPLRank is my main motivation to compare myself to others and improve my laptimes. It's a great resource.

Thanks again for your time and your help.

Best Wishes,
Keith Ballard (aka Saiph)
---------------------------------------------------

#2 lisha990

lisha990

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted Jan 16 2017 - 09:18 AM

Hi Saiph!

Thx for your post ...this was exactly the problem I encountered when I wanted to complete my Total Rank.
I have no "old" version of Killarney so there is no possibility for me to finish my Total Rank

#3 jacques bossy

jacques bossy

GPL FAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:F1 sims

Posted Feb 02 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hi Saiph and lisha990 !

Same problem for me ! :bowdown2:
I  hope it will be fixed soon.

#4 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Feb 02 2017 - 02:23 PM

Attached File  Killarne.zip   6.72MB   3 downloads

Try this, good luck!!

#5 jacques bossy

jacques bossy

GPL FAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 03:24 AM

Thanks Pedro !

But what about killarney V2 ?

#6 Kanzo

Kanzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 10:14 AM

TotalRank??? What a total waste of time! :gaah:

:P

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 12:58 PM

View Postjacques bossy, on Feb 03 2017 - 03:24 AM, said:

But what about killarney V2 ?

This one:
Attached File  killar67.zip   7.16MB   1 downloads

#8 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes

Posted Feb 03 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostKanzo, on Feb 03 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

TotalRank??? What a total waste of time! :gaah:

:P

Like all addictive things in life :yipee2:

#9 jacques bossy

jacques bossy

GPL FAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Feb 04 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Pedro, but my question was : "why times of killarney V2 are not comptabilized in gpl rank ?

#10 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 04 2017 - 10:57 AM

View Postjacques bossy, on Feb 04 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Thanks Pedro, but my question was : "why times of killarney V2 are not comptabilized in gpl rank ?

I think the reason is explained in the first post of this thread. It looks like someone has added the track directory "killarne" into the TotalRank, when it should have been "killar67". Even though the track name shows up as "Killarney v2" in the TotalRank listing, the GPLRank website is only looking for times from the old version of Killarney.

The GPL Track database and the GPLRank website are linked. If you take a look on the track database, you'll see "Killarney v2 1967" listed as the only version of Killarney available. And the release date is shown correctly as November 22, 2015. But the track is shown with the incorrect track folder name "killarne".

Hopefully someone is working on correcting these problems so we can complete our TotalRanks soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links