* * * * * 1 votes

Success! I Finally Got Gpl To Work On My Triple Screens!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 12:04 PM

OK One2fwee, thanks.

I understand  now what  "bezel" means and I will try out the 97 degree instead of my 78 degree FOV tonight.

The Bezel compensation is not possible with my triplehead2go and GPL rasteriser sets.
But I think that is not so much a issue here.

Thanks for explaining and calculating.
Greetings Pedro.

Edited by Pedro, Mar 17 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#17 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 12:16 PM

hm, according to this my single screen fov should be 43° and for a triple screen it would be 129
that's 3x 1920x1080 at 30cm height of the screen, 70cm away and disregarding bezel correction. interesting. i've been "driving" with 88° for some time now for editing purposes. will have a go at 43° now :S

#18 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:08 AM

View Postsky, on Mar 17 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

hm, according to this my single screen fov should be 43° and for a triple screen it would be 129
that's 3x 1920x1080 at 30cm height of the screen, 70cm away and disregarding bezel correction. interesting. i've been "driving" with 88° for some time now for editing purposes. will have a go at 43° now :S

Hmmm, actually maybe you want to try 44° degrees sky, half the FOV of your old setting? Don't say 'I didn't tell you so though'. Michelle might want to try 33° but perhaps he already has.

Enlightening information One2fwee, thanks for posting I'll give it a try myself when I get the chance.

#19 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,726 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:48 AM

Well, I tried the formula and on my screen it comes out to be 30* FOV.
This you see is a Ferrari P4 GT,
The perspective is natural but the driving is impossible unless you go just straight without opponents :)
I should buy a 60 " screen to put on my lap :P

Attached Files

Edited by Ginetto, Mar 18 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#20 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:22 AM

my experience at 43° fov with the '67 BRM were similar. i hardly saw any of the dash. and on top of that it felt like i was driving in slow motion. then i've upped the FOV to 129 - the would-be FOV if i were to run the 3x 1920x1080 screens i intend to at some point. now that felt like a bullet in a barrel, hyperfast. with the latter setting driving was somewhat more difficult, because you couldn't judge your speed as well.
with the low FOV i was just about able to see the top of the wheels, so i reckon for me personally a FOV of maybe mid 50ish would be more usable. however the low FOV means i seem to have loads of time on deciding how to tackle a corner. that was interesting, so it should make driving in time attack mode faster - however for races i don't see how that would work.

so in regards to that i wonder how would you calculate the FOV for a triple screen setup, where the outside two screens are at an angle to the center one? that surely must have an effect. the way i see it now, this is not properly recognized by the calculations. my setup would be such that the outside screens are on the same radius as the center screen, so basically the same distance from me head....

#21 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 01:23 PM

No, you calculate it as i said. Gpl cannot properly support 2 screens at an angle, so you are meant to have the 3 screens flat as one panel.
However, if you do have them at an angle, it doesn't look that bad, so it doesn't matter.

For simulations that support angled screens, look at assetto corsa, rfactor 2 and (so i hear) iracing.

Ginetto, are you using a tiny laptop screen? Only, your aspect ratio seems very wide / strange. If not, you definitely need to put your screen closer - try and put it directly behind your wheel, that should enable you to use a higher FOV.
If you can get it 50 - 60 cm away from you then you should end up with a pretty reasonable fov for racing.

I do appreciate that it can be a difficult compromise - 3 screens are ideal really. But you can learn to do it with one. Even reducing it a bit from normal will help.

The most crucial thing that a realistic FOV does is to make it so that distance and elevations are seen realistically.

With a too high FOV, elevations are flattened out and distance is distorted so that things look really far away but they are not, which can make braking points frustrating as it appears you have a lot more room than you actually have.
Also it makes close racing better in that you are less likely to run into the back of someone as you could with a high FOV because it looks like there is more room than in reality.

#22 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,349 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 02:16 PM

I am back to my old settings!

Setting up 97 degrees FOV I was to far back in the car.
Therefore I used "GPLSA" tool to adjust the POF.
Doing that I felt that the setup of my Lotus was changed and terrible to drive.
Being more of a racer than a tester I switched back to the comfort zone.

Nevertheless a very interesting lesson has been learned, Thanks!!

#23 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thks for the number .

Can try 33°, but seeing what has got Ginetto with 30°, I get the idea

What is different than Ginetto screen is that I have a 19" CRT screen, and in 1920X1080 the display surface isn 't big. I can get the screen at 25 cm from the wheel, but I use a single seater position racing seat, and my eyes are still far in the back.

What do you think ?

Edited by M Needforspeed, Mar 18 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#24 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted Mar 21 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hmm your crt is really 16:9 aspect ratio? :o are you sure??
If not, why are you setting it to 1920*1080? What it it's native aspect ratio (or resolution, although since it's been so long i'm not sure that crts have a native res?).

How far the screen is from the wheel is irrelevant, it is how far it is from your eyes.

Give me the information required and I can calculate for you if you like.

I do appreciate that a horizontal of 30 can be difficult, especially for hairpins. I think i've used 22 and even less before. Just try and get the screen as close as possible / move closer to it.

I just hope that any of you seeing how distance is no longer distorted see this as a reason to maybe get a wider / bigger screen, or to get 3 cheap monitors for racing. Then you will have all of the pros, without the cons!

#25 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 21 2013 - 05:36 PM

No, it has a 4: 3 , but if you have the plain screen

But as I can use 1920X 1080 setting in GPL, I set it because of a better and crispier image

Screen is at more than one meter from the eyes

#26 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted Mar 21 2013 - 06:02 PM

What do you mean have the plain screen? :s

Aren't you losing a lot of vertical image space by running 1920 * 1080 though?

Wow, more than a meter, no wonder you are getting a really low FOV. Try to get it 50 - 60 cms away and you should get something half decent.

#27 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,726 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 05:39 AM

Michel, you should use 1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1440 with a 4:3 ratio screen otherwise you see a squeezed image; you probably see the wheel as a vertical oval, not round; aren't you? :confused:

one2fwee, yes I use a 17"  laptop 16:10 and I don't have a wheel, I sadly use a joyppad; that's why I tend to edit and build tracks more than actually  drive in GPL. :)

Edited by Ginetto, Mar 22 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#28 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted Mar 22 2013 - 01:57 PM

Ah that's okay Ginetto :) But yes, now i think of it, it would be a good idea for you to try and use the correct FOV when editing as then you can get a more "real" idea of what you are editing looks like - if that makes sense? :) Especially if you can look around with the mouse in the editor like in an fps? Certainly it might help you for elevations!

Also, i agree with you that Michel should use a 4:3 resolution for his monitor :)

#29 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted Apr 10 2013 - 06:40 PM

Okay apologies to everyone, I realised that I made a slight error in where i could do the ratio conversion between vertical and horizontal FOV, now i updated my original post to be correct.

Pedro, your FOV should therefore be 81 degrees, not 97. This explains why you felt that 97 was so bad and that gpl's default of 78 felt much worse hahaha. So yer, try 81 and see what you think :)

Sky, yours doesn't change very much - 41.7 so either 41 or 42. Triple screen would be 97.62 (but without bezel compensation so it's kind of meaningless really unless you are using matrox triplehead to go as this does bezel compensation in a different way so it would be correct!).
But yes, i just reread your post - bloody hell don't run a 3 screen area FOV setting on 1 screen, that would look way distorted!!! For a start it won't be representitive of what you would see as your aspect ratio is different with 3 screens.

Others - i can't see your values in your posts so unless i am missing something then i am sorry.

If anyone needs any help, just ask. The formula in my original post has been updated to reflect ratio conversion.

Thanks!

#30 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Apr 10 2013 - 08:05 PM

Im confused. The fov we set in GPL is vertical or horizontal?
My numbers
80 cm away from the monitors
3 monitors 5760x1080 without bezel correction, the bezel around 2cm each border if that matters
http://www.benq.us/p.../specifications
Dimensions(HxWxD mm) 516.9 x 571.4 x 149.9

have no idea what arctan is :P

Edited by Andreh, Apr 10 2013 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links