• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 21 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hello everybody :)

Recently, my old steering wheel Momo Logitech died (R.I.P), and I replaced it by a Thrustmaster T150, which runs perfectly well.

I took the opportunity to try a "multiple GPL install" and when I finished to re-install the first one (Papy'67),
I've done as usual and I put my player's backup into the GPL's directory player's folder.
But when I start GPL, it open directly a new player's window, and mine are not anymore selectable...

It never happened to me before...

Two weird things :

- If I use GEM+, my player's backup are recognized, selectable from GEM+ and run perfectly when I start GPL, either using GEM+, or directly by GPL itself. But when I'm into GPL and I go to "player info", it open once again a new player's window.
And mine are still not selectable... I can only use GEM+ to switch between my different players.

- So, I do as "Answer Man" Sir Bob Simpson tells in his wonderful "GPL Trouble Shooting and Problems FAQ" at the line :

The player name is corrupted, inaccessible or you get the message "driver file can't be saved"...

It effectively solves the problem, I can go to "player info" and switch again my players but,
If I make a backup of these new player's files, and I re-try to install everything, all the initial problem appears again... :crazy:...

I've been going through the 55 pages from the "Help! I'm having trouble with..."... And I found nothing about that... :(

Btw, I updated GPL, as I always done, with the "All-in-one Patch V2" followed by the "gplrast_v2.5". (It has always worked)
I tried also to install GPL with the "GPLPS installer 1.04" and "1.08", with exactly the same result...
I am anxious to specify that I erase all which concerns GPL before to do a complete re-installation. Also GEM+.

For information, my computer is an antic DELL Dimension E520 with Vista 32bits, always out-connected from the net.

If anyone has an idea... It would be greatly appreciated... :unsure:...

Edited by db312, May 21 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted May 21 2017 - 07:45 PM

I always recommend that when someone does a new install, they first create the driver name in GPL, then copy over all the old files and folders from the previous installation to the new one.

So - I'd do a new install, then 1) open GPL using GPL>EXE, 2) create my player Bob Simpson67, 3) go to my old install and copy every thing inside the Sierra\GPL\players\Simpson67__Bob folder into the new installation.

And by the way, you don't have to do any further patching if you install using the GPLPS installer v.1.08

#3 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted May 21 2017 - 10:13 PM

Thank you very much Bob,

I'm totally surprised, because I never had to do this operation into the past.
It happened perhaps three or four times that I had a problem in fifteen years.
I simply re-done a full installation, and copy my player's backups into the right folder of this new install, then I re-started GPL and everything was exactly like before, no need to re-create some players and copy my backup into these new players.
As you could understand it, I'm so surprised that it never happened to me previously... And I would like to understand...
But I will follow your advice, from now on, I will do in this way.

And as I told you also, I'm sincerely sorry to be boring... I know that I'm nut with computers... And I'm not proud of it...

Thank you again for your explanations !

Edited by db312, May 21 2017 - 10:14 PM.

#4 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted May 23 2017 - 06:29 PM

I finally found the problem. Nothing serious.
A line was missing (I don't know either how or why) in the "app.ini" file.
It was this one :

[ Player ]
lastPlayer =  Best__Ofzenul                           ; directory of the last player to play the game

And now of course, everything is perfect.

If some nice people would be so kind to destroy this post, it would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted May 23 2017 - 07:12 PM

We all learn from our mistakes (and others' mistakes).  The only reason I remember so much GPL trivia is that I've made so many mistakes.

So threads like this should always stay up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links