#16 argo0

argo0

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 13 2010 - 07:50 AM

Id like to take this opportunity to thank Jim for his wonderful work aswell. The graphics in GPL are fine as they are, in fact they're charming in a way that newer games aren't so I'm a bit annoyed that we've lost the opportunity to drive the full IOM course because someones overhauling the appearance of this great game. This turn of events is a real shame, although all parties seem to have the best interests of GPL at heart.

#17 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 05:14 AM

View PostJim Pearson, on May 27 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

I know some of you would like this track completed, ...

Dear Jim,

count me in to those people that would love to see this masterpiece released for GPL at some time in the future.
I really hope that there will be programmed a DirectX solution that will make this possible.

Thx a million for your dedication to GPL and have fun with your other spare time activities besides GPL. :)  :hat-tip:

Cheers from Germany,
Stefan

#18 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 06:54 AM

I've always considered - and still considering - Jim Pearson like one of the best GPL track makers (to not saying an artist), his tracks like "must have" addons, the result of his effort like a "state of the art" and a reference in GPL history, so I'm one of the many GPL users that are glad to say a thanks to him.

And - of course - one of the many (to not saying the most) that still has a hope to see his IOM masterpiece finished and released someday.

#19 juanmanuel

juanmanuel

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Oct 03 2010 - 08:32 PM

is there any news about this? sorry if this is the wrong topic but i really would like to see the complete isle of man in gpl; even the current version is a state of art, so i cant wait for the full version; and mr j. pearson work is awesome, so thanks to him and his great work!

#20 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Oct 04 2010 - 01:18 PM

View Postjuanmanuel, on Oct 03 2010 - 08:32 PM, said:

is there any news about this? sorry if this is the wrong topic but i really would like to see the complete isle of man in gpl; even the current version is a state of art, so i cant wait for the full version; and mr j. pearson work is awesome, so thanks to him and his great work!
I think you're going to be out of luck juanmanuel. Just look back at posts #4 and #5 from this thread HERE.

As it stands, the full IOM track is still suspended.  :(  :shrug:

#21 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 03:59 PM

GPLers rejoice, but please continue to be patient. Jim has found the enthusiasm to resurrect the IOM project. He has produced a series of screenshots to give some indication of the amount of work that will be required to complete the job. I'm sure there are many of you who will say it already looks good enough to release, but you also know Jim and his attention to detail. Anyway he has asked me to post these details on his behalf. Please read the following message from him. I have attached a few screen shots for viewing here and also a link to a full set Jim has provided containing nearly 100 images of the WIP.

SCREENS EXPLANATION

These screens were made in September 2010 showing the state of IOM Full when work ceased last year. They were initially made for only limited private distribution, because development screens tend to generate more questions than they answer, plus the "we want, we want" reaction, which is understandable but frustrating for everyone, me included!.

However given ongoing often misinformed forum discussions, I am happy for them to be released publicly if that clarifies matters a bit.

Not made to "tease," simply to show how far development has reached and more importantly, how much is still to be done.

If you find previews frustrating, don't read further or look at the images!

This is WIP [Work in progress]

The track is almost fully developed/populated with objects only up to Union Mills; i.e. the first 4 miles. However, there are still some texture errors / revisions to be corrected/made up to Union Mills

For the remaining 34 miles, only the buildings [ which are all based on actual photographs in each case] are finished, but even these are only roughly positioned on the track. Some are now well out of position as some track refinement has changed their accurate longitudinal placement.

None of the trackside walls, foliage, trees, or shading if in place, is anything other than temporary or experimental after Union Mills, although some of the foliage and walls in the experimental sector from Ramsey Hairpin to Tower bends is fairly developed.

The vertex shading on the track can only be completed after the process of object build up and track section splitting is completed.

Blue shading on the mountain will be changed.

There is at least, I repeat AT LEAST 1000 hours of work left to complete. I do not release "public betas" or unfinished work, period!

Where I used to spend up to 40 hours per week on this, my current interests will probably prevent me from consistently devoting a lot of time to it in future. This is just an enjoyable hobby for me, its not an occupation nor obligation. There is no development "team"; just me the constructor and my only trusted confidant Ken.

Although I have started doing some work on it this month after a 9 month break, I still can't see this being finished for another year or two.

Time will tell.

JP.

Please see here for full set of screenshots: IOM Screenshots

Attached Files

#22 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 04:18 PM

Great news! Posted Image Posted Image

#23 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 04:20 PM

Well this looks like one hell of an exciting circuit! Like many others I hope it might see the light day, good luck with your project of passion Jim  :thumbup:

Edited by DuncanS, Oct 12 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#24 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 04:25 PM

:thumbup: it'll be done when it's done. and that's cool with me. we still have the 'short' iom to play with. kudos for continuing working on this. looking good.

#25 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 05:17 PM

:thumbup:  Great news. Good luck with it Jim, I'm sure it will be worth waiting for.  :artist:

#26 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 07:44 PM

Excellent news. Thanks for passing on the message Ken.  :thumbup:

#27 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 09:28 PM

Thank you Jim for deciding to continue with this project

The screenies look fantastic indeed a work of :artist: in progress.

Craig

#28 Stefano

Stefano

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC - SPORT - TRAVELS - DRIVING SIMULATION
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 11:59 PM

I have seen pictures and remained breathless.
Do not stop your work is really great.

PS: You guys look at the pictures here:

http://jrpearson.hom...om/notease.html
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Stefano, Oct 13 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#29 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:18 AM

I just had the time to see the pictures in this thread itself and they look great!
Thanks to Jim to continue work on this special track!

Great  :artist:

:thumbup:
:thumbup:

#30 robin_j

robin_j

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:26 AM

Thanks Jim for perservering with this mathoth task. but I know my driving will never do it justice.

rob

p.s. After watching some replays of the recent IoM races I am speechless and in awe of those guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links