• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 09:19 AM

From a long time stander-by and part time GPL indulgent:

He does have a point in how much searching/downloading/fiddling is required to get a major GPL mod up and going. Then there are dead links to deal with. (Past enthusiasts that hosted items to websites that are no longer active.) Not much can be done about these bumps in the road I suppose, just the nature of the beast.

Easy to drive? I have no where near the experience of you guys here... but to me... trying to get proficient in GPL is by far one of the toughest sim racing nuts I've ever tried to crack. I'm still amazed (appalled, actually) at how often I flub and crash-out when trying to race the AI in GPL.

The above strictly FWIW!

Andre Ming aka Old Simmer

#32 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,358 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 09:24 AM

I agree that finding everything to download can be a pain if you don't know where to look. It all seems easy to me, but i've been at it awhile.

However, if someone just wants to try GPL the 1.08 installer is all they'd need to get racing.

#33 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 10:38 AM

I posted and mentioned the GPL group I created on Steam, hopefully he'll check it out and be able to find some info. Regarding some of your questions, why not ask him about it? Ask which cars he drove, if he attempted default setups, and ask for laptimes at certain tracks, like Kyalami, Mexico, and Spa.

I've always been in favor of a better system for downloads and to find content here. When I was trying to "curate" content, I was met with indifference and even undesirable attitude. Some annoyances about the game do stem from it being 19 years old, it's seen 4 different operating system changes. Not much that can be done there. And I did notice that little tweaks are a struggle to get working consistently. For example, I was not able to remove the black bars in my game.

Edited by Gui, Dec 04 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#34 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 12:48 PM

A couple of extra points:

1. Maybe he is stroking his own ego. "GPL? Oh yeah, I went negative straight away. No problemo."

2. The fragmented nature of GPL content is a reason it has survived. No single mod, car or track team to have a big falling out or just get bored and wander off. Chipping away at a mountain is the best way to keep progress going.

Just some thoughts.

#35 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have also been able to better some of A. Hine's GPL times.  But in the oAo online league I am a perpetual back marker.  The author losses some credibility.

#36 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,358 posts

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 01:57 PM

Yes, Allison is a great gal and did a lot for GPL. However, she wasn't the fastest driver in the bunch. She raced real cars so she has all my respect.

#37 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 03:28 PM

View Postbob holada, on Dec 04 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

The author losses some credibility.

As if he ever had any :D :D :D. The guy has been known for years as an equivalent of "Daily Mail" of sim-racing portals, specializing in stirring the pot about every racing title (well, except for PCars2 nowadays, after being bought out by Mr Bell). Pete, you're taking the man's words way too seriously.

Edited by Art-J, Dec 04 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#38 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,358 posts

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:00 PM

Words count. Trump will find that out.

#39 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:01 PM

:thumbup:

#40 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:12 PM

He is dangling the carrot for response and as Jonny A states 'Stroking his own ego'  which could be a his male member between his legs, the way he is talking.

I found gpl very difficult, when I began, but then again I was relatively new to sim racing. But the challenge and experienced I gained, along with the nostalgia, far out weighed an easy journey or easy life. As well as the challenge and adventure while not only installing, but getting to work and realizing, 'Wow I am back in the sixties. Mind blowing character.

To finish we have dedicated members, modders and people that have brought this game forward into the sim racing world, for all to enjoy. Not forgetting that in some games you have to part with your bucks, to enjoy continued access and racing. Whereas in gpl you reap the benefits from hard working enthusiasts, who care about not only you, but the game itself.

Maybe he can look in here and clarify his comments, so we can have a proper debate and iron out some of his comments, right or wrong.

Or having failed that, throw the gauntlet down and someone challenge him to an online race. or even put him between two baps, cover him with dog food and shout "Dinner time Fido" :D

TP:

#41 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,358 posts

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:18 PM

My dog would like that. He loves the taste of idiots.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Dec 04 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#42 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 04:31 PM

@ Pete :muttley:

TP:

#43 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 05 2017 - 03:57 AM

Quote of the PRC article:

As a result, the Nurburgring in Grand Prix Legends is to me just another track on the roster – a bit more time consuming than the others. The novelty of flying through public roads in the German countryside is therefore lost on me, when this was a selling point of the game.

He is wrong, the Nürburgring is a permantent race track and not a public roads track.

Easy to research ;)
https://en.wikipedia...iki/Nürburgring

Edited by Stefan Roess, Dec 05 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#44 guiporsche

guiporsche

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 05 2017 - 05:29 AM

Guys don't fret about that piece. The writer clearly did not spend enough time playing GPL and approached it with a bias.
Those aspects of the game that surely deserve criticism when compared with modern sims (sounds, per instance) he did not even mention. On the other hand, his criticisms are simply inacurate.

It has never been as easy to get GPL up and running. After being way for a loooong time I installed it last year in less with an hour with with the GPLPS GPL Installer. Maybe he did not heard about it but if he knew about Alison's setups and managed to find them then how comes he failed to know about the installer which easily comes up with a google search?
Ditto for the mods, they all come with packed installers. Three clicks and it's done. Of course you have to look in SRMZ and search for info, but c'mon, give me a break. This is the most friendly community I have ever seen and help is always forthcoming. Besides, it's all in a single forum! Look at Nr2003, F199-02, Rfactor, GTR2, GTL, and it's all spread accross different forums, some of which are plainly hostile to newbies, while others are simply not entirely 'legal', if you know what I mean.

Then the statement about the 67's being easy is just hilarious. All these years we've been hearing that GPL is irrealistically difficult because its tyre model makes the cars feel like they are on ice, and all modern sims accordingly have grippier tyres and the cars behave in a less twitchy way. And now he is disingenuous enough to make such a claim without even comparing the car's base setup to Alison's? Bah.

Edited by guiporsche, Dec 05 2017 - 05:32 AM.

#45 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 05 2017 - 07:20 AM

Not disagreeing with anyone's comments, (enjoying them all), or wanting to get way into the weeds about the article, do want to point out there are things in it with which we all could pretty much agree even if we don't so much agree with his view of them.

Some of the author's opinions seem very favorable to Grand Prix Legends and to those who enjoy and support it.

Taken on balance it still seems a good effort and not at all a slam or lacking respect.
It's an entertaining article and has caught our interest.
Pretty sure, three pages along, we are being entertained.

Happy enough with it overall, would thank PRC for writing it, and am hopeful it will lead some of those who enjoy other sims to try a few laps at Monza67 or 10K and see how well they do with it.

Following up on Stefan's post, (from the link he included), "In the early 1920s...races were held on public roads in the Eifel mountains. This was soon recognised as impractical and dangerous. The construction of a dedicated race track was proposed..."

Had no idea, always thought without bothering to check it was public roads and so very much appreciate this clarification.

Edited by John Woods, Dec 05 2017 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links