• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 03:28 AM

I'm not a fan of PRC because of some of their previous articles about other sims, now they've written one about GPL:

https://pretendracec...d-prix-legends/

Edit: And then decided to close the blog so there's no point clicking the link anymore..... it's all gone :D

Edited by Fat Rich, Dec 07 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#2 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 05:10 AM

To be quite fair, on a lot of these points I have to agree with him.

#3 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on Dec 03 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

To be quite fair, on a lot of these points I have to agree with him.
Agree.

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 06:52 AM

EDIT My enthusiasm got the better of me

Edited by leon_90, Dec 03 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,637 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 07:06 AM

View Postleon_90, on Dec 03 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

...For example, the '65 team would arrange an updated mod pack with everything setup and ready and a track pack, with a thread with detailed information on what to install and how....
That is already out, just scroll down on that page:
https://gplps.wordpr...-gpl-installer/
Bernd Nowak did this and was willing to do all the others but then stop somehow. maybe for lack of response by authors for permissions? I'm not sure here though.

#6 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 07:09 AM

View Postginetto, on Dec 03 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

View Postleon_90, on Dec 03 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

...For example, the '65 team would arrange an updated mod pack with everything setup and ready and a track pack, with a thread with detailed information on what to install and how....
That is already out, just scroll down on that page:
https://gplps.wordpr...-gpl-installer/
Bernd Nowak did this and was willing to do all the others but then stop somehow. maybe for lack of response by authors for permissions? I'm not sure here though.

You are right Ginetto, and after I posted I remembered that all the latest mods contain also specific links to all needed utilities, modifications and tracks on their dedicated web pages, in the 'install' section..
Sorry, I got enflamed by enthusiasm :(

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 08:13 AM

Still the king?

The article seems to confirm it.
Despite the mostly minor but sometimes really irritating trivial issues largely unrelated to being on track.
There is no competition.

Plus it seems we have ourselves been much more critical in our opinions.

We're pretty lucky all-in-all.
Makes me want to send a big thank you, one more time just for good measure, to everyone on The Credits List.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 03 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 08:18 AM

IMHO that website name is missing the letters "i" and "k". I'll leave you to decide where they should go..... ;) :P

Edited by Saiph, Dec 03 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#9 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 08:23 AM

:muttley:

Good one, Keith !

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,358 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 08:49 AM

I feel this guy is lying. I don't know why, but to say GPL is the easiest to drive is lying. We've tried all the other sims and i'm sure nobody here agrees that GPL is the easiest to drive. I don't know what his motive is, but it's not honest.

Too bad he didn't post a replay. He must have managed to drive around the track without spinning off, but how fast was he going? Can he stay with the AI set on 1.0? The guys a clown and should be ignored.

#11 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 03 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I feel this guy is lying. I don't know why, but to say GPL is the easiest to drive is lying. We've tried all the other sims and i'm sure nobody here agrees that GPL is the easiest to drive. I don't know what his motive is, but it's not honest.

I believe he just meant that GPL is not as difficult as people remember because now we have better peripherals and more knowledge and understanding about how to race.

View PostSaiph, on Dec 03 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

IMHO that website name is missing the letters "i" and "k". I'll leave you to decide where they should go..... ;) :P

View Postgliebzeit, on Dec 03 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

:muttley:

Good one, Keith !

Lol

#12 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,204 posts

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:34 AM

"but pound-for-pound, no simulator has ever produced a sustained longevity quite like GPL. In 2017, there are people still playing this game, still modding this game, still racing online in this game, and still building setups for this game. It’s honestly pretty incredible, especially when you consider racing simulators which came out this year have already been abandoned."

The GPL 67 Ferrari 312..."is the most responsive and stable 60’s Formula One car I’ve driven in any video game to date. You certainly have to brake in a straight line and mind your elevation changes, but you can absolutely fly into corners just by pointing the nose in and keeping the car balanced through the apex. It’s extremely satisfying and intuitive..."

This is why PRC thinks Grand Prix Legends is maybe still the King Of Racing Sims:

"Thanks to a core group of dedicated modders, Grand Prix Legends became a platform for historic auto racing content, a miniature encyclopedia of racing in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. It’s really the only game out there that fully embraces the spirit of old-school racing.

And those modders were able to contribute tons of content to the game, because Grand Prix Legends came at the tail end of PC gaming simplicity, where anyone with even a vague interest in messing with files could sit down for an evening and contribute something to the community."

So seems PRC is specifically complimenting modders for being the reason GPL is still the best racing sim ever and he is not merely and only churning already too familiar tired laments?

Edited by John Woods, Dec 03 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#13 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:34 AM

Surely the enduring appeal of GPL is in large part because we can race full, historically correct championships with all cars and tracks. A point which he I note he completely fails to mention.

#14 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:45 AM

"And those modders were able to contribute tons of content to the game, because Grand Prix Legends came at the tail end of PC gaming simplicity, where anyone with even a vague interest in messing with files could sit down for an evening and contribute something to the community."

I don't buy this assumption.  When modding of GPL began, people had to delve into the core exe file to investigate what-did-what.  Physics algorithms had to be tailored around what was already there.... a complex process.  That leaves aside the complexity of new 3D modelling that was originally done at Papyrus with in-house tools.

I believe that our current (and of course some of our 'gurus' from the past) could mod the current sims in the same amount of time.

#15 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,204 posts

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:52 AM

Probably he is only referring to modding graphics files and not so much other stuff .

Surely anyone who ever opened Grand Prix Legends with a hex editor knows it ain't easy and never was.

How many artist/editor/modders now working on other sims started out hacking GPL?

Edited by John Woods, Dec 03 2017 - 09:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links