• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,310 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2018 - 10:04 PM

Can the font be changed that appears int he chat window and how?

Can the size be changed and can the actual font be changed?

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 05:25 AM

The size for sure with GPL digital display modifier.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ddm.jpg   50K   50 downloads

#3 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 06:32 AM

Bob, have you seen this program?

Attached Files

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 02:18 PM

How about the font in replays? Can that be made bigger in OGL?

#5 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 02:40 PM

Wilf Tonsmann’s Replay font sizing:

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Jan 23 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jan 19 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

Replay font sizing:

That works perfect.

Thanks bro. :D

#7 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 06:16 PM

:thumbup:

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,310 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 08:47 PM

The reason I wanted to adjust the font was that, online, I get frame-rate hits while in-car and seeing chat come up. I thought maybe a different font or font size would lessen the effect.

However, after using both of these utilities, the in-car chat font doesn’t change at all.

I have this sneaking feeling that I made a modification in the distant past which has caused this fps problem and that the font-changers don’t do anything.

I see that Wilf Tonsmann’s changes, which Greg posted, affect the font outside of the car in the pits/ replay screen. When you open chat window there, the font can get huge.

When I’m in-car, and hit enter, then some long, long line of text before enter again to send it, my fps goes down to around 3 or 4.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jan 24 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#9 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:19 PM

I dont see how the font size would effect the fps. The P´processor has to draw it regardless of the size. Turning it on/off may be a different thing.

#10 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Jan 23 2018 - 05:59 PM

back in the day i would always get a drop in fps when anyone joined/left a race or typed a message even if it was just 2-3 words

that was until i changed font size

#11 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,869 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 06:36 AM

View PostBrocky05, on Jan 23 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

back in the day i would always get a drop in fps when anyone joined/left a race or typed a message even if it was just 2-3 words

that was until i changed font size

Interesting, I might give it a try, as I also have the same problem.
I also have FPS hits when someone joins or leaves the server and when someone types a chat message in GPL.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,310 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostMichkov, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

I dont see how the font size would effect the fps. The P´processor has to draw it regardless of the size. Turning it on/off may be a different thing.

Changing the font size makes a huge difference. Instead of dropping from 36 to 3 fps while in-car, before sending the text, it now goes to 22 fps. Mind you, that's with the maximum number of characters entered/displayed.

#13 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,825 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 01:25 PM

View PostMichkov, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

When a text character is displayed as an overlay on a graphics screen (as with chat text in GPL) either the main CPU or your graphics card GPU has to convert the text character to a bitmap, and then overlay the pixels onto the graphics screen. If the text size is smaller, it means there are less pixels to convert, and less to put on the screen. In more modern programs, there are graphics driver functions that can be used which are very efficient, so this type of processing doesn't usually cause much of a problem. But most of the GPL graphics engine dates from 1998, and isn't written with modern methods. I'm not sure how much Nigel's "v2" rasterizers helped when they were released, but I don't think they completely solved the text display problems.

#14 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'd guess the drivers mentioning this problem have a Nvidia GTX video card. I never had this problem until last year when I bought a GTX 1050ti. You can turn off the in-car chat to eliminate some of the stutters but there seems to be no way to disable the join or disconnect messages.

I've see this using both win7 and linux.

I'd also guess this could be eliminated by better gpu drivers, but nvidia isn't going to spend any time to fix problems with software that is so old. I tried 5 different gpu drivers with the 1050ti. I could only go back several months since it was such a new gpu. If I had an older GTX, I'd try gpu drivers as old as compatible with my gpu and work my forward and see if I could find a better set of drivers. I'll do that some day with the GTX 750ti I have. I can then try drivers dating back to at least early 2014. I never had this problem with a nvidia 9500GT using drivers dated between 2008 and 2012 or 13.

This is a different problem but it seems to be related to GTXs too. The GTX 1050ti will run GPL well except for this problem and a problem with the GPU Boost 3.0 feature. In 3D mode the gpu core clock runs at base of 1303 Mhz. Using gpu benchmarking software it will hold a steady boost of 1800 Mhz. If it ever boosts while GPL is running it usually crashes the program. By getting in and out of the cars and navigating through the menus will reproduce this problem every time. I think in the menus and waiting for the start will get the gpu into 2D mode. When a load is reapplied the gpu will boost above it's base clock of 1303 Mhz for a fraction of a second and GPL seems to crash everytime. I use HWiNFO64 to monitor the operation of my hardware. My apologies for the tangent.

Take care guys.

#15 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 05:53 PM

I think GPLShift allows you to change the font size. I was trying that at one time but I never got my gplshift.ini configured correctly. I used buttons to shift instead of a shifter. Without the proper *.ini configuration every time I hit my look left or look right button, gplshift also posted a chat message from the ini.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links