• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hi everybody

You may remember sometime recently? that I had a thread on here, regarding my issues running a newly purchased Logitech G29 wheel, with my old Windows XP OS.

See: http://srmz.net/inde...topic=13207&hl=

This saddened me and frustrated me to no end, and I was left to using my old cheapskate Logitech wheel. Which was bearable, but not satisfactory 😠

I really wanted and was desperate to experience GPL and other racing games (on my Windows XP) with a decent wheel. I was therefore determined to find a solution and consequently find a decent wheel that I could run on my system.

Well I can say that finally I have succeeded in doing so. I just wanted to share here my joy here and how it as happened. It all came about the other day, when I looked on the boot sale app Sphock, and suddenly I spotted a nice G27 wheel and advert. I eventually managed to snag it for £70 UK pounds, with also adding £20 on for fuel collection. So a total that rounded up to just under £100 pounds sterling for a nearly new wheel.

What I got was a G27 wheel set, just out of its box, and as I found out on collection, used once or twice, then put back in its box. The wheel set, with pedal base and shifter was in superb condition and just like new. It was so clean, unscratched, without any kind of breaks or cracks and operating as it should. All I had to do was to give it a wipe down with duster and polish, to wipe away the dust.

It then came the time to connect to my rig 😬🥵 and wow 😁✌️ was I surprised, to see it connect to my machine, get recognised in the control panel (with response) and also in the Logitech software programme.

Now I'm in SIM racing heaven. It's a fantastic wheel, with great response, fantastic driving feel and just adds to the enjoyment and enhancement of my gaming. I'm blown away with GPL on my wheel and it as not only given me a new lease of GPL life, but made my driving much better and improved so far.

I've installed GPL shift and that is working great and I am slipping through the gears and Hgate nicely. Couple of things though that I've noticed, is while driving, all I have to do is drop the revs and change up or down, by flicking the gear stick into the appropriate gear. I thought I saw something somewhere (GPL Laps?) where you had to use the clutch to select gears anf change up or down the box? By the way I downloaded the beta version of GPL shift. I couldn't download the updated version on the same page? From the same page and via GPL links. It seems to go nowhere 🤔

Also as anybody got any recommendations on upgrading the G27 shifter. I've been looking at something on 3drap:
https://www.3drap.it...-improved-feel/

Please look at some pics I've included on my new set up. Let me say that I am now (for a while anyway) ecstatic and doing cartwheels with GPL and other SIM racing games 😁😁😛😛

TP: 🏁

Attached Files

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 15 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#2 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 09:04 PM

Brilliant news. Well done mate.

Paul.

#3 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 09:19 PM

That's great news !  :fireworks1:

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,711 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 07:08 AM

Cheers Marco and Paul. I'm really still buzzing from this 😁

Lessoned learnt here. Older OS won't take G29 or G920.

So we need to keep those G25's and G27's alive ✌️

#5 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 10:51 AM

Nice twinpotter! The Logitech wheels are all fantastic and perfectly capable wheels, I can also recommend them to anyone.

I assume you use your XP system offline only?

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,711 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 11:12 AM

Hi Millennium and thanks 😁👍

I don't do much online racing really, or even surfing the net with my XP desktop. Obviously there's too many holes in the browser security. I download the odd file now and again, limit my browsing and I definitely do not access online banking or personal emails. That's all done with my Windows 10 laptop.

I still have an affection for the XP system and running old PC games. I know modern systems like 7,8 and 10 can still do the latter, but sometimes XP gives you a little more compatibility room 🤭🤔

I don't race GPL online, but I'd be interested to hear from people here, who still race online GPL along with XP 🤔 if that's not a good idea then I'll either continue AI racing or one day update to a newer OS and even a newer desktop system 🤔

For my brief and basic browsing and downloading tasks, I use the Chinese browser Maxthon, as they still support and believe in the Windows XP system 🤭🤔

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 16 2020 - 11:21 AM.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 11:37 AM

That's cool, I can fully understand that you want to stick to such an OS.
There are still games and programs that won't work properly beyond XP. (For some odd reason 'Hogs of War' comes to mind first!)

I wanted to do the same with W7, but I need my pc for more online stuff, including banking. I'm happy GPL at least runs on W10.

Edited by Millennium, Jan 16 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,711 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 12:18 PM

Thank goodness Millennium, that GPL still runs on Windows 10. There's a blessing there 🥵👍

In a perfect world (money & space) I would have an old OS desktop and a newer OS desktop. Updating the latter or replacing when needed 🤔 Unless I try a dual boot with 2 OS together, on a mega capacity machine 🤔

An example for me, using an old OS, related to running games, is the GP series by Geoff Crammond. You can't run GP3 or GP2k on newer OS (or most people can't?) but it runs okay on XP. The others in the series like GP4 seems okay and GP2 and GP1 runs on Dosbox. Another includes Grand Prix World management Sim, which I really love and adore. I also know as well, that there are other games too, that won't run on modern OS. I'm not advocating and saying XP is better or innocent of Compatability issues. It's just that you have a little bit more chance of running older games on XP 🤭🤔 People's views are welcome on this subject 👍

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 16 2020 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links