Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hockey!!!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 04:03 AM

Hey guys!

Been around sim racing since GPL release and always been aware of how good GPL was/is. Not until the last week have I actually run it!
At release, I had a crappy system so no GPL for me. As the years went by and the community began enhancing it, I continued to stay away. I decided it would take too much time to work my way into such a now modded sim.

Couple of weeks ago I started loading up my old games for a bit of fun. Pulled out my GPL disc and thought I might do a quick google to see how GPL was handling modern day systems.
I came across the fantastic Easy Installation Guide and found how easy it is to put together a fully modded GPL!

What this community has created over the years is simply amazing!
Every aspect, the mods, tracks, carsets, physics, programs like GEM to make it all work together, websites such as this great place, it's all mind blowing stuff!
From the limited tinkering I have done, I can already see where all my sim time will be spent in the future.

A big thank you to every person who has made this sim what it is today! (And to the person who fixed my validation so I can post this and download!)

Despite being one of the last to find GPL, I already know I'll be one of the last to leave!

Cheers

#2 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 06:07 AM

Welcome aboard!

I played GPL for a few months when it first came out and loved it but then real life got in the way and I didn't touch another computer game for 15 years. On my sim racing comeback I bought Assetto Corsa, GTR2, GTL, Richard Burns Rally, Nascar 2003, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck and the rFactor 2 demos.

But all I play is GPL, the others are great games but there's just something about sliding these old cars about that's irresistible. It's not for the faint hearted and takes a while and a lot of effort to get competitive, but I've loved (almost) every minute of it. I'm focussing on the 65 and F2 mods at the moment as the original 67 cars are a bit of a handful, but all the mods are well worth checking out.

As you say the community has produced something amazing and is continuing to do so even after almost 16 years since the game released.

#3 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,921 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostSkywatcher, on Sep 01 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

I came across the fantastic Easy Installation Guide and found how easy it is to put together a fully modded GPL!

Nice that my guide could help you.

Welcome to addiction!

And as Fat Rich already said, there is more to come from the modders...

:wave:

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,320 posts

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 06:56 AM

Welcome.  There's just something addictive about GPL.

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Sep 01 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

And as Fat Rich already said, there is more to come from the modders...

:wave:

Thanks guys!

haha, I read a little on the Spa release. Can understand the anxiety to see it released by everyone. There is no "Hurry up Spa" on my part at all. I've only been playing with 67 and 65 GPL so far. Yet to see the other mods or to even take a spin at Targa Florio. I'll do all this in the next day or so. I have also downloaded 196 real tracks that need investigating before I start on the fantasy. Coming in to a sim late in some ways is bad but geez, there is also a packed candy store right in front of me!

Btw, the first thing that really impacted me when opening up GPL for the first time was how good it looked. For such an old game it really is amazing that the graphics have developed so well. Second thing that really impacted was taking the Lotus for a spin, putting foot down, rear losing traction, back end stepping out! Yes, that was it, I could see I was onto a good thing from that point on...

#6 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 09:08 AM

That's pretty much how I'm approaching it, I've installed the 65, 66, 69, F2, GT and CanAm mods and all their championship and non-championship tracks and working through them methodically otherwise I was getting baffled by all the combinations. You could also join GPLRank and that will give some track / car combinations to try, and some scary laptimes to aim for. :)

However there are some great fantasy tracks that are worth checking out when you're ready, Machwerk springs to mind and also Jim's abridged Isle of Man track.

The Targa Florio is awesome, when I fancy a relaxing summer drive I jump into the Ferrari P4 do a leisurely lap. Much more enjoyable than mixing it with the London traffic in real life ;)

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 01 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 10:07 AM

Welcome Skywatcher and to the addiction.
Look forward to many days of enjoyment and discovery.One good idea which I did a long time ago was to fill up a couple of external hard rives.Filled with GPL tracks,  bits and bats plus mods for safe keeping.Just in case some sites and files go down and missing.

PS: I noticed an NHL Hockey connection with you so here's a link for custom helmets that may be of interest to you:

http://srmz.net/sub/thommo/Helmets.htm

Chow and welcome again-TP

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 01 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Sep 01 2014 - 07:56 PM

Fat Rich,
Yep, very methodical here with installation. Thanks for the fantasy recommendation. GPLRank, signed up already, downloaded a couple of replays. I chased world records in Grand Prix 3 years ago. Notice watching the GPL replays those guys setups are just a little better than the default setups! lol

twinpotter,
Yes, already backuped up tonnes of stuff. Having not played any sim for a few years and coming back, installing old games, looking for sites, it was quite sad to see how many places have gone. I'm currently installing fav games and downloading and backing up all files left to find on the net. So many games do still work perfectly on modern machines which is great. Have Richard Burns, Rally Trophy, Viper racing, rFactor and F1 Challenge currently installed with GTR2 next to come. Only issue so far is I cannot get F1 Challenge to run widescreen. There is a 3Dconfig replacement file but my game crashes if I use it. Everything else works perfectly. These games could all work well for years to come so certainly worth downloading any addon files before they disappear.

And a big thanks for the helmet link! I'll be onto that one! Didn't know about it at all. Thanks!

#9 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 02 2014 - 01:24 PM

Some good games installed there Skywatcher.One of my favourites F1 challenge. Some good F1 year mods too. Not sure about the config problem but if I come across a solution I will let you know!!
I am personally enjoying R Factor and the 1937 mod at present.

Meanwhile enjoy GPL and its journey.

Chow TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 02 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Sep 02 2014 - 07:46 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Sep 02 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not sure about the config problem but if I come across a solution I will let you know!!

That would be appreciated! Have to really look into it but I think some systems not only need the 3Dconfig.exe but also need to change other things. Looks like text changes in the games config file may need to be made along with messing with compatibility modes in both the game exe file and the 3Dconfig file. Basically, with the number of combinations possible, you could be there all year! lol
If anyone finds anything that works, please report it and I'll try those particular set of changes on my system.

Edited by Skywatcher, Sep 02 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Sep 08 2014 - 02:38 AM

Solved the widescreen issue. :up:

#12 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 08 2014 - 08:46 AM

Welcome to GPL, hope you enjoy your time here.

#13 simel

simel

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Sep 10 2014 - 11:48 AM

I really enjoy the "REAL" world advert's in GPL. They make GPL much more immersive than other sim's! Many thanks to all who have made GPL a Legend in and of it'self!,over all of these years! I finally got a rig that runs GPL to it's full potential/w a"70, monitor it really looks nice!

#14 Bubba Zinnetti

Bubba Zinnetti

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:PC'sBuild-Repair/PCGaming/SimRacing/CarSkinning
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 03:52 PM

:Ssanta:
Glad your back  into  GPL  to keep  the Grid  alive and competitive  in  online racing.   Yes, GPL has certain  feel no other sims  can  replicate  I think,  as far as  the older  f1 cars go. And your correct  with how nice  it looks  with all  mods  released over  the years. You wouldn't  think it  was the same  sim  when taking the original  box it was shipped in, and flipping the cover  to see the graphics  it  was being shipped  with  at the time. Lol  and honestly  the  sims  that were  released  from that time up until  now  are still  total ::crap::  with  exception   of  latest Assetto Corsa  And  RFactor2.   I think they finally nailed it.   As  far as  the graphics in GPL   they still  deliver and get the basic  idea  across  to  us  while racing.  No need for  blur/motion  effects, or other garbage.   Anti-aliasing  and nice colors all that I need. :color:

Edited by Bubba Zinnetti, Nov 30 2014 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links