Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 10:12 AM

The title says it all.

As us old timers like to say: "Do your civic duty for your country".  :)

#2 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 03:04 PM

First time I hear about these "midterm election". Forgive my european ignorance, what are they for and why are they important? I'm trying to read some articles but they all assume the reader to know what they are talking about...

#3 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 04:13 PM

leon_90, on Nov 06 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

First time I hear about these "midterm election". Forgive my european ignorance, what are they for and why are they important? I'm trying to read some articles but they all assume the reader to know what they are talking about...

Everything that is not the president, so Senate and House of Representatives. Plus a plethora of lower tier elective positions and propositions down to county level.

The US holds congressional elections every two years. At each election the whole of the House of Representatives and one third of the 100-member Senate are elected. The representatives thus serve a two-year term, and the senators six years.These elections are known as midterms when they fall outside the four-year presidential election cycle. Being in the middle of the presidential term, they are usually understood to be at least partially a reaction to the president's performance so far, and usually see the president's party losing seats.

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 04:27 PM

Leon, our government is composed of three separate segments - the Executive (president and his cabinet members), Legistative (congress composed of two separate entities - Senate and Representatives) and the third segment is the Judicial (supreme court judges, district judges, etc).

The Executive (president is elected every four years, but is is offset by two years for the election of members to congress).  This election day is for the congress (called mid-term, because it is half way through the president's 4-year term of office.

Hope this helps.  :)

#5 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 01:59 AM

Thanks guys, got a clearer picture now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links