sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 06:47 AM

Hello.

Back to GPL after some months, Had a big bad surprise.
As the title says, I experiment very low framerate, never had on actual pc in the last 5 years.
Poor I mean I can't reach 36 fps even with only my car on track: it seems to me I'm back to my old PIII computer, or even worse :wall: .
Tried to lower details, no joy; tried to change everything has performance impact into NVIDIA control panel, just a bit of improvment with no AA at all, but not enough.
Maybe it's related to latest NVIDIA drivers, but not sure, so I ask if someone else has installed one of the latest to have a comparison.
BTW, only OpenGL V2 works here.

Quite desperate atm, feeling I will no longer be able to drive GPL after +16 years... :bigcry2:

#2 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 08:24 AM

Can you give more details? like if it's a clean fresh install, or an old one, or you have attempted a new install with many extra addons and patches applied? Also it might happens if you have a switchable graphic card and the system chose the wrong one.
From my experience, there was one patch can actually cause low frame for me: "GPL Digital Display Modifier" (can't recall details why it happened), maybe something similar happened?
The best way to narrow down possible causes, is to make a fresh install with only v1.2.0.2 and New Rasterizers v2.5 patched. Then run the game again and see if it happens.

#3 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,816 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 09:00 AM

is it Linux or is it windows and if so is it 7 or 8 or 10?

I'm on win 7 on a pretty old laptop with DDM installed and no problems with frame rate.
Pribluda on the other side halved FPS values.

#4 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 09:06 AM

another problem encountered by someone, the video settings. Are you sure your GFX is running on 3D mode ?

#5 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for reply and trying to help, I really appreciate, but still no joy at all.

View PostSV3000, on Oct 13 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Can you give more details? like if it's a clean fresh install, or an old one, or you have attempted a new install with many extra addons and patches applied? Also it might happens if you have a switchable graphic card and the system chose the wrong one.
From my experience, there was one patch can actually cause low frame for me: "GPL Digital Display Modifier" (can't recall details why it happened), maybe something similar happened?
The best way to narrow down possible causes, is to make a fresh install with only v1.2.0.2 and New Rasterizers v2.5 patched. Then run the game again and see if it happens.

It'a an old install, but nothing was changed or installed from the last time it was running ok.
No switchable graphic card. Just GeForce GTX 980 installed and correctly recognized, so far.
No GPL Digital Display Modifier installed.
I have also a separated fresh install  with only v1.2.0.2 I launch from time to time for test purposes, but surely can't help in this case (too much different CPU and GPU load I mean to make a true comparison). The actual GPL install I use is built up along the last 15 years or even more, with hundreds of addons and changes, installed one at each time and verified each time all is up and running.

View Postginetto, on Oct 13 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

is it Linux or is it windows and if so is it 7 or 8 or 10?

I'm on win 7 on a pretty old laptop with DDM installed and no problems with frame rate.
Pribluda on the other side halved FPS values.

Win 10 here, infact those damned odd microsoft auto-installed paches are on my black list of suspects, since they mess up important things most of the time without giving a single word on it...
I'm awared about Pribluda issue, but never installed since I don't need.

View PostM Needforspeed, on Oct 13 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

another problem encountered by someone, the video settings. Are you sure your GFX is running on 3D mode ?

Just checked DirectX diagnostics program, and it say yes. In contrary, recent high GPU demanding sims and games should no work properly in my rig me think.
BTW, as far as I know with GPL most of the gfx work is on the CPU than GPU, but for my experience video settings and sometimes audio too could lead to low performances, so it's harder to find and spot a solution - if any exists - than usual videogames.

Tomorrow I will try to reinstall older nvidia driver and see what happens; unfortunately, I have also recent programs and games installed that requires updated drivers, and also share the pc with my brother too... hope someday to have a computer up and running only for GPL...

#6 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostSV3000, on Oct 13 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Damn, I'm wrong, DDM is here... installed years ago and forgot... but imho also the way new NVIDIA drivers manage AA have a great part in the issue; I will investigate further tomorrow.

#7 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Oct 13 2018 - 03:32 PM

Tato,
I use Win 7 64-bit, but there was a big discussion of Win 10 here.  Read through this topic- http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12363

One other thing.  If you have a 64-bit OS and at least 8GB system memory (not graphics) then patch either your 'donor' gpl.exe or the mod exe with the 4GB Patch - https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371
... or here is the patching file to use - Attached File  4GB_patch.rar   19.35K   5 downloads
Drop the file into your GPL folder, run, and point it at the gpl.exe (or modded exe file)

I use the OGLv2 rasterizer.  Here is my core.ini graphics section:

[ RasterV2 ]
Device = 0
TossBiggestMips = 0
MaxMipSize = 0
MirrorSize = 0
DirectMirrorRendering = 0
DrawMethod = 1
ZBufferType = 1
AnisotropicFiltering = 16
TrilinearFiltering = 1
LODBias = 0
32Bit = 1
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
FogDensity = 1000
VSync = 0

... and the Nvidia settings for 3D applied for gpl:

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Oct 13 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#8 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 02:30 AM

Thanks Greg for help.

Since I have a 64-bit OS and 16GB of system memory, I've already patched the executable some years ago, but tried again - who knows? - but problem is not there.
I use OGLv2 rasterizer too since it was released in 2008 due to higher performance, stability and also better graphics (original OGL never worked BTW), and anyway I have no choice at all because Direct3D doesn't work anymore on my sysyems from many years now... options in core.ini is like yours, except for DirectMirrorRendering sets on and MirrorSize = 256, but tried to change almost all without any benefit.

So a little update now (ok, a small one for humanity, a big one backwards for me... :hithead:)

1- GPL and all mods I have installed to date (55, 65, 69 and GT67) worked well with stable 36fps in every condition till the end of July (never launched again from then);
2- recently I have updated NVIDIA gfx drivers to latest version available, so my brother can play Assassin's Creed Odissey or whatsoever damned games, happy enough that, differently from usual, no harm happened to me or the system (well, my usual 'last famous words', as I discovered yesterday... :bigcry2: );
3- after investigation, seems now to me that thanks to NVIDIA the way driver manage AA settings changes a lot, with a so high fps impact that to have my GPL at least driveable again I need to set AA completely off;
4- not enough, I need to toggle off also digital display, due to fps high impact on GPL when you have text displayed.

So, maybe due to 2nd principle of thermodynamics LOL the result is:

new NVIDIA drivers = no more AA nor digital informations in GPL

So again, if someone else need in the near future to update drivers, please take this in account and also please report back what happens in your computer, thanks.

Also I'm considering an hardware upgrade; but still happy enough with my old i7-4770, and not incline yet to spend all my monthly income for a new RTX 2080 card :bloodycomp2:

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 03:27 AM

i7 4770 + GTX980 is allready overkill for GPL!!!

Make an NVidia profile for the GPLxxx.exe and one for your brothers game, do not change the defaults!

You are going the wrong way when you shut off AA you must force high settings to stimulate the GPU in 3D mode!
Look for Stefan Roess http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html

Don't forget to set "disable intel speed step" in GEM+ settings to prevent the CPU from sleeping...

Edited by Cookie, Oct 14 2018 - 03:36 AM.

#10 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,050 posts

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 06:37 AM

The dreaded Nvidia driver updates.  When I purchased my Toshiba laptop two years ago, using Win 7, I made all updates to be reviewed before install.  ALL video drivers I have refused updates.  Maybe back in the 90s driver updates were the best way to go .... not now!

#11 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Cookie for help.
I have separated profiles for most of programs and games.
The issue is - for what I can understand - the way the most recent NVIDIA drivers - 4xx.xx versions I mean, released this month and onwards - treat AA. I guess is better for todays directx 12 games, but I swear is not for GPL.

#12 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,050 posts

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 08:01 AM

I'm using the original Nvidia driver from 2015.

Attached Files

#13 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 08:08 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Oct 14 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm using the original Nvidia driver from 2015.

:up:

#14 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 14 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have the latest Nvidia driver and I haven't noticed any fps drop on my system. You see, I run the same benchmark (Uningine Superposition - 'high' preset) each time something important in my system changes to be sure it didn't affect performance. With the latest Nvidia driver there wasn't any drop, on the contrary it seems like I got 50 points more than the usual, but that could be down to another micro change I made at the same time. I believe the culprit in your case could be, most likely, Win10. I got mine stuck to ver1709 since the beginning of the year and everything is going smooth so far, while I know of many people affected by the last couple of major updates. Try have a check on that.

#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 02:29 AM

Hello Tato

Last week I have updated my GeForce 970 GTX to the latest Nvidia drivers (I can not check the version numer as I am not in front of my race PC) and I have no changes in FPS. All works like before.

Have a look here for my latest graphics settings for GPL:
http://srmz.net/inde...=45#entry134359

Maybe that helps.

:wave:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links