• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,259 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 08 2013 - 09:59 PM

LoPeN or League of Perpetual Novices runs on Thursday nights at 8 pm Eastern US time.  Described as a drinking league with a driving problem, the only rule is to have fun.  There is always a demolition derby at the end after the finish of the race, but a little incidental demolition during the race is tolerated too.

During the 40 minute races, there are two or more Yellow Flag sessions where the cars are encouraged to swap places.  The slow guys go ahead and the fast guys relish the challenge of regaining the lead.  There are no points or tracking of placings.

The first interesting feature is that we usually use the Basic Trainer and Advanced Trainer of the 67 F2 mod.  We’ve found that the Trainer cars are easier to drive, and on the very tight, short tracks that we often use, the skill level to go fast is very high, even without the high power and speed.  The online racing with the Trainer cars can only be done  at VROC and we’ll help you with the easy instructions to get racing.

The second thing which is great fun is that we chat on Teamspeak as we practice and during the race – sometimes seeing if we get others to laugh their way off the track.

Get all the information that you need about running with us at http://games.groups....p/LoPeN_Racers/ and contact Lou Magyar at ljmagyar_at_gmail.com for more information.

I’ve found that the low pressure racing in this league has helped to make GPL tremendous fun and allowed me to get better at online racing without the worry of ruining other serious racers’ races.

#2 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted Aug 09 2013 - 05:16 AM

Well said Bob.  I might add that our 'advertised' start time is 8PM Eastern, but the green flag generally drops around 9:30PM.  The server is set up to run a 2-hour practice beginning at 7:30 most nights.

Bob, and another long time member Warren Hall Jr often (almost every race) provide very driveable setups for all to use.  In many cases, no tweaking is ever needed to make the car work for your style.

#3 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Oct 25 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys, it would help if you posted each week here, the time and place of the next race plus a link to the Track Database for the upcoming track.

#4 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Oct 25 2013 - 03:41 PM

10/31/13 - Firebird International Raceway. http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=2393

I hope that's the right track.

#5 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,259 posts

Posted Oct 25 2013 - 05:36 PM

That's right and we're racing the 67F2 mod Basic Trainers.

In GEM, you can select the Basic Trainer just to the right of the season drop down.

Attached are the BT setups that I start with at each track.  Just adjust the gearing for max power at around 8,000 rpm with the BTs.

Attached Files

#6 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,660 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 26 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hey, I made that track! :)
It was a Scottie request so he could train virtually other than with his real formula vee.
I might try to train and see how I go with BTs :P

#7 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Oct 30 2013 - 12:20 PM

I sent you a PM Ginetto...  come and play with us.  I will provide you the information needed.

#8 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Oct 30 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi Greg,

I hope the email I sent you cleared some things up.  The LoPeN group that Bob linked in the first post is regularly updated with the track choice, a link to the track, and a calendar, with reminders.  I strongly recommend joining the group, as there is a wealth of knowlege - and setups there.

Lou

View PostJMF, on Oct 25 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hey guys, it would help if you posted each week here, the time and place of the next race plus a link to the Track Database for the upcoming track.

#9 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 30 2013 - 04:16 PM

There's also a practice server up 24/7 for the upcoming race. The practice server is Hauls1 on VROC. For iGOR it's Hauls2, but I don't use that too often. For the races and to help LoPeN members during the week we have a Teamspeak 2 server for communication. We really have a great time on Thursday nights.
Warren

Attached Files

Edited by Warren Hall Jr., Oct 31 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,259 posts

Posted Dec 21 2015 - 03:02 PM

The "league" (it's just a bunch of people doing strictly-for-fun races) has changed it's forum site to http://lopen.autosim...ewforum.php?f=3

We've been gaining a bit of momentum with new drivers joining and still happily welcome new-comers.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Dec 21 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,660 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 21 2015 - 04:14 PM

That seems like a fun place to hang; if I have some time I will pass by :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links