Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 16 2020 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

I have an old PC which I use exclusively for GPL. I only hot-lap (slowly) and race the AI as the machine behaves oddly when I connect to the internet via wi-fi. The GPL programme seems to lose focus whilst the PC is busy doing something else in the background; GPL will go silent (no sound) and the keyboard is no longer detected so I can't Escape or CTRL+ALT+DELETE. This is so frustrating.

I would like to be able to go online so that I can:
  • Check this forum :)
  • Download Track Pictures from GPLTD via Gem
  • Race online occasionally
  • Connect to home network so that I can access GPL PC from other devices to file-share.
Is there a way I can force GPL to stay in the foreground so that other processes don't take over? I never used to have this problem when I used this PC for everything back in about 2010.

Thanks in advance.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. (UK)

Cheers.

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 16 2020 - 09:28 AM

Did you install any Windows 7 updates from 2019?

I had a similair problem last year which caused games and programs to randomly go to the background. (Clicking on the screen would bring it back)
For me the only solution was a system restore to before the update was installed. I forgot the name of the update sadly.

Edited by Millennium, May 16 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,430 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 09:29 AM

Are you saying that even outside of GPL, the keyboard is inactive?

When this happens, I think that you can just move the mouse around to bring the focus back to GPL.

You obviously have some program starting up when you use the wi-fi, so perhaps you can find it in task manager > details and kill it.

#4 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,061 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 16 2020 - 01:41 PM

Usually clicking the mouse should bring the focus back to GPL in those instances. GPL is strange since even when not the focused program it stays on top of the heap. Say you alt tab out of it, the PC will behave as it would be in the program you alt tabbed to but GPL is still in the foreground. Do you know what is taking the focus from GPL?

#5 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 16 2020 - 07:45 PM

I would suspect something with your wifi is not running in the background as it should.  I had a similar issue in Vista years ago and solved it with Process Lasso;  it has a gaming mode, that can be assigned to any program, which makes sure that program always has focus and always has priority for resources;  it doesn't shut down any other programs, just throttles them so they do not interfere with the main program. (As a bonus it virtually eliminated stutters in MS Flight Sim.)  

https://bitsum.com

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted May 17 2020 - 03:46 AM

I wouldnt use W7 anymore if it does "things" without your control, maybe your pc is allready a part of a big botnet! :harumph:

Online with Wifi is a NOGO! You will be absent for the other drivers every 3-5 seconds for 1-5 seconds!

If this pc is able to run W7 pro, why not try linux if you have a NVidia GPU (or W10 with intel or AMD GPU) ???

Edited by Cookie, May 17 2020 - 03:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links