• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 10:24 AM

not for me, but how did it get fixed?

when you/me first load GEM it would find and rebuild all the mods.
someone created? or described a way to not have that happen everytime.

so i did what was said, but now i don't recall how :P
is it a setting in GEM.ini?

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 10:46 AM

You can simply deactivate carset and GEM will not rebuild mod.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,413 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 02:37 PM

Bo, I'm not sure what you're saying.  You mean you think that when GEM starts up it rebuilds the mod EXEs? Not necessarily. You have to delete the EXEs (gplcf2.exe for the 67F2 mod for instance and NOT the gpl.exe) in the GPL folder for them to be rebuilt.

But what are you trying to do? Why rebuild the EXEs, or are you trying to not rebuild them? Or is the mod not showing up?

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 10 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 02:45 PM

no, i'm not trying to rebuild - but initially, GEM goes thru and does something that shows all the mods you have. Everytime!
someone posted (i did a search - couldn't find it) a way or setting in... ??... Gem.ini? that ignores rebuilding unless you delete one of the exe's... like GPLc67... then it rebuilds.

i don't want it to do that everytime i launch GEM, and did something that skips that ~  if i can post a file here, maybe you can compare with yours?

#5 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,413 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 02:53 PM

In the GEM Configure window (button right at the top middle) I have "Confirm Changes on Exit" unticked so that the box which says "GEM has changed the following files..." doesn't show. Is that the box you're seeing?

Ah, now there is a window that comes up ever so briefly (5/10 of a second on start-up and 1/10 of a second on shutting maybe) which shows the mods being loaded. I don't think that can go away, but its probably a function of how fast your computer is that determines how long that stays up.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 10 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 03:09 PM

Screen shot of my GEM under configure

Attached Files

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,413 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 04:03 PM

Yes, I always recommend to untick "Confirm Changes on Exit" (which you have ticked) I don't know why anyone would have that ticked, other than they don't trust GEM and would not allow mod EXE changes for some reason.

When it's unticked the EXEs get updated without any notification.

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 04:30 PM

Bob... i DON'T have a problem with GEM rebuilding  -  it does not occur for me! :)
and i don't know why that is ~ if i untick (i will test)   that seems unnecessary (for me)

there must have been some other tweak :P

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,413 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 04:37 PM

But how do you think the rebuilding is not happening?

Deleting the EXE will force the mod EXE to rebuild when GEM starts or stops, or else the mod would not appear and the mod couldn't be used.

If, after you have the "Confirm Changes on Exit" ticked, and you make a change (this would only be triggered by changing something in the GEM options) you definitely should see a window pop up. Here, I ticked the 60fps option for the 67 cars in the options box in GEM:

And keep in mind that this box will not appear if you haven't made any changes.

Attached Files

Edited by Bob Simpson, Feb 10 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#10 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,422 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 05:09 PM

Bo, you mean that GEM+ displays the mod exes when you start GEM+?

I don't know how to disable it but I know it loads quicker when you add all gpl mod exe files as exeption to your Anti Virus software so that it won't get checked.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 10 2020 - 05:10 PM.

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted Feb 10 2020 - 05:55 PM

on my sys, launch GEM and voila~ no text about building etc...
exit GEM unless i've changed mod's or car in mod (from Brab to Eag) voila ~ no text asking as Bob's screen capture shows. GEM closes.

someone else asked about that - i know i made a change somewhere to keep the constant rebuilds from happening - but don't remember what or how i did, so i can share that.
i just know, i don't have to sit 3 seconds while GEM writes itself what it already knows :)

Stefan - what you are asking does NOT happen - i'm glad - i changed something so it doesn't :) so yes, i disabled that - somehow.  AV not involved. it was directly associated with GEM. far as i can recall ~

#12 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,129 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 11 2020 - 05:25 AM

Every time I start GEM+ it rebuilds all the MODs exes; I can tell by looking at the file manager; all their date changes to current.

I know that people said that to have GEM+ rebuild an exe, you need to delete the previous one but here GEM+ acts always as there are no mod exes and every time it rebuild them. (PS 'confirm changes on exit' is unticked)

Bo doesn't have that and I guess many others too since the instructions always refer to the need of deleting one exe to let GEM+ rebuild it; so, how did you guys do that? :unsure:

#13 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted Feb 11 2020 - 01:18 PM

Ginetto explained it perfectly  ...

#14 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,422 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 11 2020 - 03:38 PM

Yes, he did. :)
But like him, I have no clue how you managed to edit GEM+ in the way that it does not rebuild/ load all the mod exe files when you start GEM+. :idunno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links