chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:varied
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 09:29 AM

Again, thanks for all your help and words of encouragement.  I love this program.

Another question, though: How do I increase my braking power? The AI cars seem to brake much faster than I can. I tried adjusting the % but didn't seem to help much. I also read that lowering the bump would help but I've lowered it all the way to 1 and still need plenty of track to slow down enough approaching a tight curve. Any suggestions?

#17 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hi, if you need full range of braking control, you have to turn off Braking Help in game: Option > Sound & Gameplay > Driving Aids, as Braking Help will cause you brake a lot less to avoid locking up tyres, which increases braking distance. Once it's turned off, how much braking power depends on how much you have stepped on your brake pedal. Also braking is one of the hardest thing to master, need a lot practice and learn different technics.

Edited by SV3000, Sep 10 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#18 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hello Chilong, welcome to GPL.

Just like you, I find that the AI brake far too late. I'm certainly no alien, but now and then I set a decent lap time, but the AI always used to crash into the back of me, even if we were doing identical overall lap times.

There is a way to adjust just how hard the AI brake, as follows:

In the top level GPL folder is a .ini file that you can open and edit with Notepad. There is a different AI .ini file for each Mod - for the 1967 Mod it is called gpla67.ini.
Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a parameter called braking_efficiency_coeff.
The default setting will be something like 1.0000 or 0.8000. Try reducing it in 0.1 or 0.05 increments until the AI stop hitting you from behind.

BUT: A word of warning. Don't use it so you win every race. It often takes hundreds of hours for even experienced Sim drivers to get to a decent level in GPL. Don't start to adjust braking_efficiency_coeff until you are getting within a few seconds of the benchmark time for each circuit. If you do, you are just letting yourself off the hook and ultimately you won't enjoy GPL as much as you could. I set it to a level where I still have to brake really hard, so I almost crash, to out-brake the AI.

Happy driving!

Edited by JonnyA, Sep 10 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#19 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 06:18 PM

Ai are not in a race with themselves when you are near.

When you are close they will attack you, solo or as a group, if you are slower and in front.
They will defend if you are faster and challenging from behind.

Either way, if you meet the challenge and survive, they will often give up the fight and fade back to hold position.

Ai have a strong respect for aggressive confident commanding driving.
You tell them, by proximity and velocity, what to do.

But watch out if you put yourself in a weak position they will take you out with no mercy.

Maybe the Ai are just suggesting, in their opinion, you are braking too early, slowing way too much, and not paying attention to faster traffic coming up from behind...so work on that?

If Ai are coming up too fast and crashing into you while slowing for entry, (a universal lament it seems), get out of the way, let them pass, then if you really are faster, slipstream past them on the following straight.

After a few more laps you should be far enough ahead of the cars behind to not worry about them.

Otherwise, let them pass and try to stay with them.

dos tokeninos sim vous play btw
:D

Edited by John Woods, Sep 10 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#20 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted Sep 10 2018 - 11:11 PM

Hello Chilong, welcome to gpl!!

Where are you from?

Cheers, Marcos

#21 chilong

chilong

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:varied

Posted Sep 12 2018 - 11:10 AM

View PostJonnyA, on Sep 10 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Hello Chilong, welcome to GPL.

Just like you, I find that the AI brake far too late. I'm certainly no alien, but now and then I set a decent lap time, but the AI always used to crash into the back of me, even if we were doing identical overall lap times.

There is a way to adjust just how hard the AI brake, as follows:

In the top level GPL folder is a .ini file that you can open and edit with Notepad. There is a different AI .ini file for each Mod - for the 1967 Mod it is called gpla67.ini.
Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a parameter called braking_efficiency_coeff.
The default setting will be something like 1.0000 or 0.8000. Try reducing it in 0.1 or 0.05 increments until the AI stop hitting you from behind.

BUT: A word of warning. Don't use it so you win every race. It often takes hundreds of hours for even experienced Sim drivers to get to a decent level in GPL. Don't start to adjust braking_efficiency_coeff until you are getting within a few seconds of the benchmark time for each circuit. If you do, you are just letting yourself off the hook and ultimately you won't enjoy GPL as much as you could. I set it to a level where I still have to brake really hard, so I almost crash, to out-brake the AI.

Happy driving!

View Postmcmirande, on Sep 10 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

Hello Chilong, welcome to gpl!!

Where are you from?

Cheers, Marcos
I'm from Suffolk County on Long Island, NY, Marcos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links