- - - - -

Gpl, Win10 And Triple Monitors, Not So Much...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcewena

mcewena

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:I'd like to think so.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 08 2020 - 11:00 AM

Hi folks,

I took a break from other sims and decided to re-install GPL, the easy install guide works fine and everything's good until I try to get in the car.    I've got 3 monitors making up 1 desktop in Windows 10 set to 5760 x1080 (Radeon RX 580).  In GPL however I get 3 identical displays in the menu which is fine, and if I select a single screen sized resolution I get 3 in-cars, but once I pick 5760x1080 (either within the game or GEM2) when jump in the car it crashes to desktop.    Doesn't seem to matter which rasterizer I use.

Any guidance?

Thanks,

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,453 posts

Posted Jul 08 2020 - 02:20 PM

I don't know much about this, but I'm pretty sure that only OGLv2 allows that big a resolution. I'm guessing that the trouble might be in the graphics settings where I think you need "scaling: full screen" or else try the other settings

#3 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 08 2020 - 02:37 PM

Did you also use configure the monitors in the AMD drivers? (Eyefinity)

Because have 3 screens with the menu sounds to me like it's set to duplicate the screen instead of extending.
Maybe it's trying to run 5760x1080 on each 1920x1080 display.

#4 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jul 08 2020 - 03:27 PM

Have a triple screen ,Win10 but NVidia GFX playing GPL at 7680 X 1440 .

As for an Nvidia install, you certainly have to set  your screen settings to the SURROUND Nvidia equivalent for AMD on the catalyst control center.
You 'll get the game displaying on the extended screen  5760 X 1080 reso only when you click on the GPL green button in GEM, in another word when you'll "jump in the car".That is normal.GEM and GPL menus will automatically display at 1920X1080 ( scaled automatically at 2560 X 1440 here) , before you enter and when you left the game, on your center screen.

And as Bob says, it works only with OGL V2 rasterizer. With Direct 3D, you 'll get a CTD

Then everything will run fawlessly.Welcome to your new GPL immersive experience !....in many ways, hope it will be a new game for you as it has been and still is for me

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 09 2020 - 08:03 AM.

#5 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Jul 08 2020 - 03:40 PM

Another CTD possibilty if your settings are correct, is that you don't have enough memory for the hardware to handle it.Triples screens means a lot more pixels to display for any game.But I think you got your others sims games to work with triples...

If you don't get it sorted out, can you post your hardware config. Thank you.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 08 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#6 mcewena

mcewena

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 07:57 AM

Just to be clear, the windows desktop is a single desktop across all 3 monitors now at 5760 x1080.   RF2, and iracing both work just fine and I have 16Gb so I don't think it's resources.   I'll try OGL2 thanks.

#7 mcewena

mcewena

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Jul 13 2020 - 12:29 PM

OGL2 seems to work!  Thanks,  It's not pretty and I still have the 3 menu screens but I can live with that.

#8 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 01:14 PM

View Postmcewena, on Jul 13 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

OGL2 seems to work!  Thanks,  It's not pretty and I still have the 3 menu screens but I can live with that.

Glad you got it to work.

Does it means the eyefinity settings are on the duplicate the screen function for the desktop ?

Maybe there is a button in the display settings to untick

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 15 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#9 mcewena

mcewena

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 01:22 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jul 15 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

Glad you got it to work.

Does it means the eyefinIty settings are on the duplicate the screen function ?

Maybe there is a button in the display settings to untick

With the latest radeon drivers eyefinity is pretty much automatic/set-it-forget it so windows pretty much acts like 1 big wide monitor.  For iracing you can tell it to draw 1 wide monitor or 3 distinct (slightly better performance) without changing anything.   For Rally Trophy and GPL the menus are triplicated but the in-car is essentially 1 wide screen.    

My next problem is I can't configure my pedals on separate axis with Rally Trophy, the config option is broken (goes to desktop and back).

#10 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 01:32 PM

View Postmcewena, on Jul 15 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

With the latest radeon drivers eyefinity is pretty much automatic/set-it-forget it so windows pretty much acts like 1 big wide monitor.  For iracing you can tell it to draw 1 wide monitor or 3 distinct (slightly better performance) without changing anything.   For Rally Trophy and GPL the menus are triplicated but the in-car is essentially 1 wide screen.

My next problem is I can't configure my pedals on separate axis with Rally Trophy, the config option is broken (goes to desktop and back).

Because GPL can display on a triple screen, but isn't triple distinct screens compatible. I mean It works only as one extended monitor, with one center point , and not  with settings  with a center point for each monitor, as does iracing and certainly all recent sim racing games.

Drawing the image on 3 distinct monitors will allows you to get  the driving side view much more as it is in real life.When you overpass a car, it will be far less elongated.The impression of speed on the trackside objects is a little lesser with 3 distinct screens game. And the fact that on a single center point screen, I feel I am at a faster speed can compensate and add something to the immersion, even if less natural.

As you can see,the more the image goes on the edge of the sided monitors, the more it get elongated.That ain't really an immersive problem, imo.

I though it cld explain the motion sickess I experienced at first, but playing with very different FOV showed it ain't really elongation that caused it.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 15 2020 - 01:56 PM.

#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 02:10 PM

Profit to share your TS experience . Do you ever got motion sickness when you first started sim racing games with triple ?

Oh, and I think it wld be nice to edit your topic title, as finally you get it to work, and we can only recommend to any TS candidate to go for it.
Moreover because I feel there are some Gplers that still think GPL don't display on triple screens,( Not many videos on YT that proves the contrary..here a recent one, he shld use the No Letterbox patch.... https://www.youtube....EhMQkI&t=46s  )
....or that setting this game is a complex thing. Part of the reason, is because there have been TS dedicated topics at SRMZ by someone those advices are very valuable but that in his posts regularly put the sentence : " GPL isn't triple screens compatible ".Some misunderstanding, here and there ....

In fact,GPL recognizes and scales automaticaly to the total resolution available without having to play with GEM settings !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 15 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,840 posts

Posted Jul 16 2020 - 07:42 AM

and be prepared to relearn a lot of your apexes.They suddenly look more precise and after practice and practice,  it is easier to match the correct lines.

-My mind is more relaxed when approaching curves, the size of each object, kerbs, track edge, are more in adequacy with a real road

-The distance travelled during the under braking time is better felt

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jul 16 2020 - 09:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links