• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 08:30 AM

What a shame. With Surtee's passing and some of Dan's late interviews, I suspected this day would come soon. :(

I guess he was the last American with an international presence in racing. I still think of Mario as much an Italian as an American.

I grew up reading about Gurney. I watched his work with Toyota in the 80s and 90s. I loved IMSA GTP. I thought it was incredibly cool that the Toyota Eagle's were driven by a Fangio and PJ Jones (Parnelli's son). I had a subscription to Car and Driver magazine in the late 80s and early 90s. Possibly, the most interesting thing I ever read in that magazine was an interview of Gurney. It was about GT40s and Lemans.

It's sad to see you go Dan, and I'm sure many will miss you dearly.

RIP

#42 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:25 AM

Sad news

#43 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,472 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:29 AM

Slightly off-topic.

But with Mario winning the F1 championship, back in 1978, for Lotus and as an American.

I always had an issue with that. After all his place was in the states, but his roots and heart was an Italian.

Considering, by official record, that unbelievably, no other Italian as won the F1 championship, since Ascari in 1953.

My head still says the latter as always been wrong and that distinction belongs to Mario.

TP:

#44 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 09:34 AM

It's a shame the Eagle was so unreliable. I would have liked to see how well it would have done if it could finish all the races.

Dan still has the record of an American winning a GP in his own car. That will never be beaten now.

#45 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 922 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 12:03 PM

RIP Dan.  Very sad to hear about his passing.  I knew his health hadn't been good for a while, but still a bit of a shock when I saw the news. I think he's my favorite person in racing.

View Posttwinpotter, on Jan 16 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Slightly off-topic.

But with Mario winning the F1 championship, back in 1978, for Lotus and as an American.

I always had an issue with that. After all his place was in the states, but his roots and heart was an Italian.

Considering, by official record, that unbelievably, no other Italian as won the F1 championship, since Ascari in 1953.

My head still says the latter as always been wrong and that distinction belongs to Mario.

TP:

I can understand the sentiment, but to me, he's an American racer.  I think he was only 14 when his family immigrated to America.  He may have watched the great Italian races as a boy, but his actual driving roots are American, driving dirt and paved circle tracks in Sprints, midgets, and stock cars.  He came up an oval racer who learned to road race later on.  There's a story that he and his twin Aldo raced in a youth league called Formula Junior in Italy before coming to the states, but Mario later admitted they made that up so it sounded like they had racing experience when they started racing in America. He's an Indy car driver who converted to F1

Ironically, where he was born hasn't been a part of Italy since WW2. It became part of Yugoslavia and is now part of Croatia.  It was part of Yugoslavia when he won the WDC, so maybe he's the only Yugoslavian to win the title :D

#46 Ernesto Mayer

Ernesto Mayer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Races, races and races...

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 12:42 PM

Very sad. We are running out of idols... :cry:

#47 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,472 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 05:43 PM

Ah right dbell

I stand corrected with an history lesson. Didn't know that about Mario.

So Ascari, was the last Italian to win a world championship.

Thanks 😀

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 16 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#48 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 922 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 16 2018 - 06:20 PM

I read this earlier today. It's a tribute to Dan from Tony Brooks, his first F1 teammate.

https://www.motorspo...-friend-996184/

TP: :hat-tip:

#49 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 11:47 PM

Just found out about Dan Gurney's passing today on you tube. GPLaps posted a video as a tribute to Dan and there it was on my home page. My heart sank. He was the epitome of the gentleman racer. R.I.P. Dan. Gone but never forgotten.

If anyone is interested in GPLaps tribute race at Spa67 diving the Eagle,here is the link  https://youtu.be/nqO4dK3--GE

#50 Chris Amon

Chris Amon

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:GPL.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 02 2018 - 03:14 PM

I'm bit late with this but some might find it interesting; Marshall Pruett put together a tribute to Dan Gurney. It can be found here; it's a whopping 3hrs long but well worth listening. The story of the aftermath of the Spa 67 GP victory were new to me.

https://marshallprue...ing-dan-gurney/

Also, some nice stickers in memory of the great man can be found here:

http://marshallpruet...-of-dan-gurney/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links