Arf Arf Arf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:4 wheels, 2 wheels
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 28 2019 - 03:05 PM

I will probably be in Milan next Saturday, and wanted to take the chance to experience Monza in any way I can - there seem to be bicycle and walking tours...but the translation doesn't seem to make it clear if they are there for people to turn up, or are only arranged specially - anyone know?

Cheers

#2 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 12:53 PM

Found this. Maybe of help.πŸ€” Don't know anything else personally though.

http://www.turismo.m...257-sport-monza

I'm presuming you are fine with English text πŸ€”

TP: 🏁

#3 Arf Arf Arf

Arf Arf Arf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 02:53 PM

View Posttwinpotter, on Apr 29 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

http://www.turismo.m...257-sport-monza

I'm presuming you are fine with English text ν Ύν΄”

As far as any Scotsman can be :-) The link you posted is the one I found, and leads through to http://www.tempiodellavelocita.it/ which tells you all about the tours...except how to book one... like the idea of cycling round, esp the old banked section...

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,246 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 29 2019 - 03:12 PM

ginetto, do you have some recommendations?  ;)

#5 Arf Arf Arf

Arf Arf Arf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 07:39 AM

All is good. I emailed the company in my link above, asking how to book on to a tour...and they replied telling me that I'm booked on Saturday morning's cycle tour of the circuit. Not the answer I was expecting, but exactly the result I wanted :-)

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 09:58 AM

Bring us back some pics and shots of the circuit. Especially the banking and pits πŸ‘πŸ‘

TP: 😁🏁

#7 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,246 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 10:17 AM

It would be advisable not to bring your dog .... Arf Arf Arf.  ;)

#8 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted May 02 2019 - 09:50 AM

And if you want to have a good meal I use to go here, not distant from Autodromo, only 2.6 km, not expensive, with good foods and beer! :beer:

Benvenuto in Italia!

#9 Arf Arf Arf

Arf Arf Arf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted May 16 2019 - 11:03 AM

So, I'm back from Milan. Really nice place...

Even though Monza is a suburb of Milan it felt complicated to get to the circuit - there are links but you have to choose them carefully or the bus/train connections can have big waits in them. I got to the circuit in time for my tour without too much trouble, only to see a bunch of modern Lambos flying round. I knew immediately that this meant there was no chance of cycling round the full circuit.. hey ho. I don't know what difference that makes to the tour I did get, which was essentially a tour of the building above the pits. We got a really good look at this, although the pits themselves were off limits. We saw the VIP invite only room opposite the pole spot, the rooms where the journalists work and where the drivers are interviewed after qually etc. Naturally there was historic memorabilia everywhere, but the focus of the tour was how the modern GP is run. They switched on all the TVs in race control for us, so we saw what Charlie W's team would see (everything!). After that, we got to go out and stand on the winner's podium above the circuit (nice to have some really loud Lambos screaming about to create some atmosphere), and then after the cars stopped we were able to walk out onto the start grid. The one thing I'll say about Monza is I had not appreciated how narrow it is. This same even more into focus when we got driven round the circuit in a transit - I'd have been upset if I hadn't been in the front seat, as you wouldn't see that much in a van with tinted windows... As you drive through the Lesmos you can see the traffic lights on the other side of the wall just past the run off area - again I had no idea that civilisation was so close to the circuit, which sits inside a massive public park.....

After the lap, the tour ended, so I naturally decided to go see the old banked section, so asked where to go and hired a bike. There are loads of paths through the woods, and I cycled off on a crappy little shopping bike (basket at the front) and things just went downhill from there. I got to where the banked section started and a security guard made it clear I was going no further. I turned around and looked for another way on to the circuit. I found a path underneath the banking and followed it round - its solid enough, but the edges are crumbling away. I came round onto the straight area after the first banking and the ***** basket fell off, causing me to crash as I laughably tried to reach out and grab it whilst continuing to cycle... then as I approached a break in the fence to join the circuit another guard appeared. This guy spoke English and said that even the old circuit was closed... he also said the Lambos were about to come round - rather them than I, would not fancy something so stiff on a road that bumpy!

After a bit of a wait the Lambos did indeed appear - doing about 15mph on the bottom of the banking, and then flooring it as soon as they got to the straight. I waited to see if that was just a sighting lap and if any would be brave enough to come round again on the banking. And I waited.... and some more. I heard the Lambos going back out on the main circuit, and asked what was happening. The guard had no idea, and it was clear from his interactions on the walkie-talkie that no one seemed to know, he was just told to keep people off the track. I waited a while longer but eventually had to admit that this wasn't my day. I got to 6m from the banking and 2m from the old back straight and no further. The tour of the complex was nice, but I was really more interested in riding the track, which would have been boring on the crappy bike available, never mind that ****** basket to carry back to the tour office. They didn't care about the inconvenience of the basket issue and claimed to be as surprised as me that the old circuit was closed... All in all, I walked away mostly disappointed.

Not sure if I'd bother going back next time i'm in Milan, given the hassles getting there and back and the vagaries of what might happen if I did. Just like Monaco, there is a statue of Ascari standing on the side of his Mercedes. There are 3 or 4 more dotted around the world, maybe i'll focus on visiting them..

I need to go through the pics I took, will post some when I can, but don't get too excited waiting for them.

Arf

#10 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted May 16 2019 - 04:35 PM

Great post !   :up:        Too bad the old circuit was closed.

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, May 16 2019 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links