• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor racing
    Red Wine
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 20 2020 - 08:47 AM

Hi

As I now seem to spend half my life on GPL I thought I might splash out on a fancy monitor.  As I know nothing about these things, am hoping for a bit of help from you chaps.  

This is what I had in mind.

Technical specifications for SAMSUNG C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved LED Monitor - White & Silver
OVERVIEW Display technology AMD FreeSync Curved radius 1500 mm Resolution Wide Quad HD 3440 x 1440p Screen size 34" Screen technology LED PICTURE QUALITY Dynamic contrast ratio Mega Native contrast ratio 3000:1 Response time 4 ms Brightness 300 cd/m² Viewing angle 178° / 178° Refresh rate 100 Hz CONNECTIVITY Audio output 3.5 mm jack x 1 Connections - HDMI 2.0 x 1
- DisplayPort x 1
- Thunderbolt 3 x 2
- USB Type-C x 1 AUDIO Audio power 14 W Speakers 2 GENERAL Manufacturer's guarantee 1 year Weight 9.6 kg Dimensions 516 x 808 x 309 mm (H x W x D) Box contents - Samsung C34J791 Quad HD 34" Curved LED Monitor
- Power cable
- HDMI cable
- Thunderbolt 3 cable
- Quick setup guide
- Install CD
- Warranty card VESA wall mount dimensions 100 x 100 Wall mountable Yes Colour White & silver

This costs approx £700 in the UK.  Pleased to hear your comments and advice.

Lizard

Edited by lizard, Nov 20 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Nov 20 2020 - 10:54 AM

I am happy with my 34" 2560x1080 LG flat Monitor ~300€  for only GPL!
Runs fine with a GTX 1060.

The size is great and I wouldn't want a curved one  - sitting 60cm away. Afaik GPL is made for a flat screen ;)

Edited by Cookie, Nov 20 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#3 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Supporter
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Nov 20 2020 - 10:58 AM

I have a flat (non curved) 34" 3440x1440 LG monitor. I love it and wouldn't replace it with anything else (maybe VR someday). Works well with GPL as long as you use the new rasterizers and the no letterbox patches.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Supporter
  • 664 posts

Posted Nov 20 2020 - 11:23 AM

I would look for a 144hz qhd ultrawide, it matches better with the 36 fps of GPL. It does make a subtle difference in my experience.

Myself I use a curved 34 inch 2560x1080 LG monitor with 144hz and Freesync. (1080p makes it easier to run modern games in high framerates too.)

#5 blackskull101

blackskull101

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:ISImotor & Papyrus games
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Nov 20 2020 - 11:59 AM

The only thing I can say is - check what is the matrix technology. VA matrix is known to be not very good for gaming because of the "Ghosting effect".
Yes, manufacturers say that they have improved response times and so on and that's probably true, but still...
Maybe the best option for gaming is the good old TN matrix - plus TN monitors are a bit cheaper than others.

Comparison between different matrix technologies:
https://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/
In any case, have a lot of fun with your new monitor and GPL :up:

Edited by blackskull101, Nov 20 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#6 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

I would not recommend ultrawide monitors, they are a fad.
You would be much better off with 3 individual screens, then you can angle them and gain a much better view. Unfortunately, GPL does not have proper triple screen support, so in that game the "correct" experience with triple screen is to place all the screens in a plane. However for things like assetto corsa, rfactor 2, automobilista (i think?), iracing etc that do have triple screen support, the difference will be amazing.

I did have pictures to demonstrate this but they got deleted.

Here is a video that shows the difference: https://www.isrtv.co...cing-explained/
Ignore his comments about needing a really powerful setup... etc

It is possible that multi-view could be hacked into games the same way they are hacked for widescreen support, but i imagine it would be difficult. You have to create 3 cameras, one for each screen, where as on an ultra-wide screen (or 3 screens in a non-triple screen game), there is only one camera/viewport.
Everything is rendered to look correct only when you are looking at the centre of the screen. As you get further to the edge, or the FOV is higher, this high FOV is representing your peripheral vision, which is why you get massive amounts of distortion and stretching. Having 3 viewports and angling them allows you to rotate each view so that the eyepoint for the side screens focuses on the middle of each screen, giving you much greater surround viewing, much bigger angles and far less distortion.

Actually i think there may be some software to hack games to do this as for projector screens there is software for spherical projection that basically takes the output from multi-view games and warps it all together. Of course i am not sure whether this software just warps "what it has" or whether they hacked a directx / opengl wrapper to force more cameras. I have no experience with it unfortunately. But i will say, unless they can add more cameras, it won't look "proper".
GPUs do not actually support spherical or cylindrical projection, so this is how they must achieve it.

But yes, i would strongly dissuade against ultra-wide. You can see examples of the stretching in some of the images in the link.

Someone did actually "hack" together a gpl setup with proper triple screen: https://www.youtube....h?v=AYteSA25Q2E
The problem is, they did this by using 3 pcs, running 3 copies of gpl, creating special camera views for the side screens, and joining an online server (probably lan) with the side screen views "spectating" the player.
So as you can imagine, it's not really practical or a proper solution. It looks nice though! (also their FOV is way too high :P )

Edited by one2fwee, Yesterday, 06:35 PM.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

Sorry to say - but Lizard asked for a 34" 21:9 Monitor - what is wrong with it? Not everybody is able to place 3x27" monitors.

"they are a fad" - what does this mean technically?

Some of us who own such a thing answered positive and are happy with it. I do active online racing with it...

Maybe you are right with such extreme wide monitors... (49" 5120x1440, 32:9)

PS
I appreciate your work for GPL and use your FOV calculation
My FOV is 64 and the size enables me to see both mirrors on my screen!
Perfect for the hairpins!

Edited by Cookie, Today, 09:04 AM.

#8 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Supporter
  • 664 posts

Posted Today, 09:44 AM

I love my ultrawide and like Cookie says if you set the correct fov the view is not stretched.

It's also much easier to setup than triples which have triple the amount of cables, you get bezels and you will spend a very long time calibrating them to look the same.
Triples are awesome but in my view too much of a inconvenience to consider them as an option for myself.

Edited by Millennium, Today, 09:46 AM.

#9 DavidG

DavidG

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 52 posts

Posted Today, 01:59 PM

I have one of those lizard, or at least a virtually identical model, and I think it’s brilliant. I don’t agree it’s a fad at all; I’d even go for a mega-wide next time, for the slightly wider view. I couldn’t imagine trying to use a mere widescreen monitor now, it would seem so restricted.

I wouldn't worry about the curve, it’s very shallow and simply helps keep the outer edges within an acceptable viewing angle. You’re better with a curved one than a flat one in my opinion. It certainly doesn’t wrap around, and isn’t a triple-screen replacement as such, but a great comprise, in an easier to manage setup.

I’ve never noticed any ghosting and I’ve not experienced any issues with stretched screens (apart from GPL's menus). Though I only really play more recent titles these days (rFactor, AMS & Project Cars – all versions 2 of course).

I’m running mine through a GTX1080 and get good frame rates in all my titles, with pretty high settings. I can get 60 FPS in GPL running in OpenGl, 3440 x 1440, in ‘no letterbox’ mode, with a full field of AI at the new Monza track. I just wish I could get the AI to actually race in 60 FPS mode! D3D doesn’t work at all, but just results a small image in the top left of the monitor in any ultra-wide resolution.

I’d agree with Millennium though about 144Hz probably being smoother. I certainly feel that GPL in 36 FPS seems slightly less smooth than on my previous monitor (which was 75Hz). Though that may be because the difference between 36 FPS and the 100+ that most other games run in is just more noticeable. It may also allow you to run with V-sync on, as i get a lot of screen tearing with my setup.

Edited by DavidG, Today, 02:23 PM.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

let's have a free choice
    Linux

Posted Today, 03:24 PM

@David for me the 4:3 aspect ratio of the GPL menu is a must. You get it by setting the "keep aspect ratio" in NV settings.

I just bought a new office monitor, and found that these new monitors have internal settings wich keep aspect ratio or do not!

#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,862 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Today, 04:15 PM

View PostMillennium, on Nov 23 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

It's also much easier to setup than triples which have triple the amount of cables, you get bezels and you will spend a very long time calibrating them to look the same.
Triples are awesome but in my view too much of a inconvenience to consider them as an option for myself.

No, at least with my triple (see the monitors brand on my profile), the bezel correction is quick and easy to set and test.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Today, 04:36 PM.

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,862 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Today, 04:27 PM

I think the thing is simple : if you have enough space in front of you and budget for a triple ( get rather  an IPS panel ), go for it.The side distortion in GPL is not only very sufferable, but in fact you can see portion of tracks and cars you won't see otherwise. As in RL your eyes view angles wld see cars passing you on each side, you will have the same experience with a triple

for instance at Spa, before entering Honeywell corner, I can see cars going in the return straight long after Stavelot;even if your eyes focuses on the track in front, they  perceive it as they would in RL.

And you have more flexibility to set your FOV/POV  ranges  while at the same time seeing objects on the side;

You won't loose details, but gain more with the crispness of the 3D objects and car, cockpit, because of the number of pixels ( 7680 X 1440 = ??...)

But the downside of a triple can be the motion sickness .You should get the habit after a while, but some reported than they cldn't !In my case, i suffered from motion sickness a lot,depending on the track ( Avhenisto was the worst, by far !!) but now I am comfortable. The brain get used to it it seems.

for instance at Spa, before entering Hoeywell corner, I can see cars going in the return straight long after Stavelot;even if your eyes focuses on the track in front, it perceive it

But the downside of a triple can be the motion sickness .You should get the habit after a while, but some reported than they cldn't !In my case, i suffered from motion sickness a lot,depending on the track ( Avhenisto was the worst, by far !!) but now I am comfortable. The brain get used to it it seems.

Another of little annoyance  is the time spent to replicate twice the settings you prefer on the first monitor.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Today, 04:37 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

M Needforspeed, paul skingley, Saiph

Sim Racing Links