Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 04 2017 - 04:06 PM

Sam,

then I share your ill informed opinion. No one can expect engineers not to be engineers and act accordingly ( please, stop thinking !! ) , computers not to be computers, so as they will implement more parameters to play with in an over sophisticated world, F1 is a garden of delights for them, the Hieronymus Bosch hell for some of us  . I am afraid, whatever rules they put on F1 and others racing series, they  will integrate more and more technology, for the worse

A late friend who raced in the eighties and was student in automobile physics measures, said while we watched 1988  F 3000 practice at Pau track : " very soon, all this will end as a Scalextrix game. Copy/paste racing lines, copy/paste braking and acceleration points ect..."  It didn't take much more than a few years for his prediction to become reality.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Feb 04 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#17 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 04 2017 - 08:54 PM

Passing traffic used to be skill, now it's expected of slower cars to best retire the car once the leader gets within 30 seconds of you. It's not like they have their own race to run.
I think if you can make up a lap on another car you should be able to overtake it on outright pace. So as long as the lapped car is sticking to the commonly accepted rules of racing I dont see anything wrong with blue flags being only indicators that the car right behind you is actually a lap ahead. So why should it just move over and let the leaders by, breaking their rhythm and dirtying the tyres.

As an added bonus we wouldn't get the constant whining about blue flags from a certain German Ferrari driver.

Edited by Michkov, Feb 04 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#18 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted Feb 04 2017 - 10:52 PM

Jochen Rindt placed F2 cars well beyond where they should be.  Placing an inferior car beyond its station is very rare now. Is Fernando Alsono one of the better drivers?   Not without one of the better cars.
Sam W

#19 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,616 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 07:55 AM

They need much thinner cars; next years they will be like half of the width of the track surface; I bet you don't see much passing.
Old historical circuits have a width that is much less than the newer ones built in these last decades; this means bad show for everyone so less historic and more parking lots for the new owners...

#20 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 10:55 AM

As samuelw said,

"F1's time has passed. In hindsight F1 passed along with Senna"... And Prost :)

If sport (or whatever project) has an interest, it's only because of man, not technology...

SRMZ is great not because of internet technology, but because of ALL OF YOU !!!

With all my respect TP...

#21 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 12:09 PM

Prost is under rated by today's fans who generally prefer sideways action.  They would hate Sir JYS' style. (JC's Cortina work would be entertaining to all however.)  

Another thing is they no longer race on surfaces that bear any resemblance to a road, but rather to billiard tables.  I could imagine the current crop of F1 getting stuck in the middle of main street just like the car that hopped a curb and stuck its drive wheels in the air.   I wonder what effect forcing F1 to design for real roads would have.

Have to second db312's assessment of this community.   I have always sucked at GPL even more than I suck at other sims I have tried, but  I love the era of racing GPL depicts.  I see the members of this board as loving GPL era racing as well, meaning I can always find interesting discussions about real techniques from the GPL era and how to incorporate those techniques into GPL.  Thanks guys. (and gals?)
Sam W

PS (wow I'm on a rant here considering that in 20 years of surfing I probably have less than 15 posts on all forums.)

#22 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,148 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 12:39 PM

So, top all around cars and top all around drivers?
F1 stables with track specific vehicles and variety of venue challenges?
Like it if F1 came back to Indy 500 with track specific cars.

Although, duffers suffer their courses as well and pros play on manicured velvet.

Grand Prix Legends often reminds me very much of very very limited surfing experience.
No choice but to make your move.

#23 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 05 2017 - 09:32 PM

View Postginetto, on Feb 05 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

They need much thinner cars; next years they will be like half of the width of the track surface; I bet you don't see much passing.
Old historical circuits have a width that is much less than the newer ones built in these last decades; this means bad show for everyone so less historic and more parking lots for the new owners...

Cant wait to see the 6m wide cars ;)

#24 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Feb 06 2017 - 07:19 AM

I've watched almost every bit of F1 coverage on TV since the late 70s, but for the first time in my life I have to say..... I don't actually care what F1 does anymore :(

21 races that all look pretty much the same apart from a couple of street races and a couple of night races, I can only watch half the races live unless I pay approx £700 per year for the Sky F1 channel. And next year it'll be Sky only in the UK as far as I know, even if there's some kind of highlights show on terrestrial TV a few days after the race it's going to be impossible to not know the result of the races.

I'd actually rather spend the time playing Codemaster's F1 2016 game, and it's not even my favourite racing game :D

Hopefully the new owners will make F1 tempting to motor racing fans again and get away from milking the sport for the shareholders and for their own personal gain.

Edited by Fat Rich, Feb 06 2017 - 07:22 AM.

#25 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Feb 06 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostMichkov, on Feb 05 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

View Postginetto, on Feb 05 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Cant wait to see the 6m wide cars ;)

Considering how long the cars had gotten as well, with such extreme rear coke bottle shapes, I think they could have taken off, e.g. 20cm, from the car length, instead of going 20cm wider.

But it's also exciting to see how fast the cars will be next year, hopefully without any big accidents. 2017 race pace could end up being closer to 2016's qualifying pace!

#26 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Mar 01 2017 - 04:27 AM

Hmmm... it seems I may have been a little hasty :think:

Now that pre-season testing has actually started I find myself getting a little bit interested in F1 again.

It helps that the new regulation cars are proportioned like proper racing cars (although they've sprouted some truly horrible aero devices), Pirelli have been allowed to make tyres that don't deliberately fall to bits after a few laps, and the early indications are that the top three or four teams are fairly close in pace. Although pre-season testing is notoriously misleading, and the first race at Melbourne isn't always a good indicator of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the teams.

We'll see. Maybe F1 is worth saving after all! ;) :P :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links