davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 25 2017 - 04:30 PM

So I've been revisiting the Stones song catalog from the late 60's and early to mid seventies. Great tunes!

Inevitably it came to be that I revisited the whole Altamont nightmare topic. A new perspective now that I'm near 50 years old.
I remember my dad showing me the "Gimme Shelter" movie when I was quite young and the haunting images from it. They
say this event ended the 60's along with the Manson murders. Watching the movie again for the first time in about 30 years
I can say it's still hard to believe it all happened. For those of you who have never seen the movie or heard what happened
or if those of you who are familiar with it and are interested, it is posted on YouTube here :

https://youtu.be/fIDAAf2vHfM

A radio broadcast from the day after. A forum of the events as callers tell their side including a member of the Hell"s Angels.

https://youtu.be/JUlyVSfhgaM

And a pretty interesting interview with Joel Selvin who put out a book last year on Altamont.

https://youtu.be/J1tpbNlvbCo

Still shocking to this day.

Edited by davef, Jan 25 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#2 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted Jan 25 2017 - 05:20 PM

I have a bootleg record from this show and the guy who was recording was very near the place that the Hell´s Angels killed Meredith Hunter ( you can see it in the film Gimme Shelter). But the whole incident was much longer than it was shown in the film. It sounded really scarier than what the film shows. You can hear the voice of the bootlegger saying " i`m outta 'ere man...this is very weird !! " The Stones didn´t cut the show.. They played Midnight Rambler after the killing !

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 25 2017 - 06:00 PM

From what I heard,read and watched from various documentaries and sources (but don't quote me !) was old rubber lips Mick and the rest,where still haunted by the event.
So much so,that they still have nightmares and fears of the sound of V-twin rumbles and ape hangers,coming around the next bend 😁  TP

PS- Thanks Dave ! For the link

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 25 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#4 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Jan 25 2017 - 09:26 PM

Chris,

After going in depth with the links, they confirm your comments of the movie abbreviating the violence during the Stones set. In fact the timeline of the audience's actions doesn't coincide with the film quite right :
From Wikipedia :
The Rolling Stones' set list
Along with playing "Midnight Rambler" about a killing, then to follow up a few songs later with "Gimme Shelter" and the lyrics "Rape,Murder, its just a shot away..."
Chilling.

twinpotter,

I work with a guy who knows Sonny Barger's son. My friend is quite knowledgeable of the history of the HAMC and it's California Chapters. Quite the history.

Another shocking fact is that Meredith Hunter was buried in an unmarked grave for many years.

https://youtu.be/ZxnVY37b0ME

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 03:04 AM

I once read the paperback book on the HA. Very interesting read. Sonny Barger goes into the event quite well and depicts what really happened and who was at fault.

TP:

#6 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 08:34 AM

Dave, i can see that you are a "Stonian" just like me. My son Brian Lewis Skepis was named after Brian Jones, my eternal idol.

#7 guiporsche

guiporsche

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 10:30 AM

A bit off topic, but may I pose you guys a newbie question?

I'm very familiar with the output of most of the 60s-70s top acts, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys, Who, Kinks, you name it.

But for some reason, the Stones were always a blind spot, my parents never bought their records, and I always felt daunted by their very extensive discography. So, the question is, for someone who wants to get introduced to what made the Stones great, which albums should I listen to first? Thx in advance!

#8 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postchris skepis, on Jan 26 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Dave, i can see that you are a "Stonian" just like me. My son Brian Lewis Skepis was named after Brian Jones, my eternal idol.

Very cool Chris. :)

Yes, my parents were hip music lovers so by the age of 8 I was very familiar with the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors, The Jim Hendrix Experience, Santana to name a few. I think the first record album I bought was the Roling Stones "Through The Past Darkly Greatest Hits" when I was around 8 or 9 yrs old.

View Postguiporsche, on Jan 26 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

A bit off topic, but may I pose you guys a newbie question?

I'm very familiar with the output of most of the 60s-70s top acts, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys, Who, Kinks, you name it.

But for some reason, the Stones were always a blind spot, my parents never bought their records, and I always felt daunted by their very extensive discography. So, the question is, for someone who wants to get introduced to what made the Stones great, which albums should I listen to first? Thx in advance!

I'm sure Chris can add, but I wore out my dad's "Hot Rocks 1964-1971" album back in the day. :)

hmmmm 1964-1971 kinda like GPL isn't it? :D

Edited by davef, Jan 26 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#9 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,723 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 01:00 PM

guiporsche,  the Rolling Stones were considered by many parents as "the bad boys" of Rock and Roll.  Most that liked the 'new' music labelled the Beatles as the "good boys".  In reality, they were both from working-class families/towns and both enjoyed 'kicking it out' when they were growing up.  :)

#10 Cheeveer

Cheeveer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the link to the full film, hadn't seen it before. Ridiculous event, that at Altamont. The hippie naivety was amazing. What a train-wreck.

But also worth noting...

The Rolling Stones, The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the world, by far!

#11 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 04:22 PM

guiporsche, in my opinion, the Stones were (still are) four different bands. The MK1 ( with Brian Jones) has a very "English" sound. You hear any of their albums from the first one ( which is untitled) to Begger´s Banquet you can tell that is an English band. just like The Who, The Small Faces, The Pretty Things, The Beatles, The Yardbirds and so on....When Mick Taylor joined the band, they assumed an "American" sound. Even their lyrics became more "American". My favourite Stones tune came from this Mick Taylor era which is Midnight Rambler. ( you can get this song from "Let It Bleed" or "Get Yer Ya Ya´s Out" albums). Then In 1975 began MKlll with Ronnie Wood. Again the sound changed drastically. They sounded pretty much like another band. I think with Ronnie they went back a bit to the "English" sound. All the three phases are great. Then the final MKlV begun in 1989 after the departure of Bill Wyman.. If i had to pick one album of the three original eras. I would pick Between The Buttons" with Brian Jones, Exile On Main Street with Mick Taylor and Some Girls with Ronnie Wood. but my all time best Stones album is a bootleg called The Bedspring Symphony (vinyl) or The Brussels Affair (cd). It was recorded on the first show of the 1973 European tour in Brussels. This is what Rock´N´Roll is all about. You can easily download this album from the internet.

#12 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 26 2017 - 04:40 PM

In those days bands and artists worked at their craft. There was no X-factor or American ideal one hit wonders. Now they are after a quick shot to fame.No more slumming it vans and long haul tours or waiting for someone to play their track on the radio.
Although now you have your own computer where you can bedroom produce and enhance your so called talent. Even turn your track out on youtube. 'Guess it's the age' as we used to say.
I loved the 50's-70's even though I was only 6 by the end of the sixties. Was an eighties teenager in the day with all the Punk,Heavy Metal and New Romance music at the time. Pistols,Iron Maiden and what have you.
For me the fave three Stones tracks Sympathy for the devil,You can't always get what you want and Brown Sugar. Despite the drug reference.
Beatles album Rubber soul. Fave event Woodstock (Wish I was there) but too young and here in UK. My dvd of the Woodstock film is definitely worn out. On my bucket list to visit one day? Some notable fave performances,ten years after,Richie Havens and my all time Sheffield born performance from Joe Cocker and the grease band 'With a little help from my friends (aka Beatles). Just sends shivers through my core.
Fave album from those day is one I played to death at College with my room mate. Moody Blues 'Days of future past'
Sorry this is straying away from the Stones theme,but it just had to be said. Guess there's a song in that last phrase. LOL 😃

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 26 2017 - 04:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links