- - - - -

Could High Speed Broadband Be Bad For Gpl Online ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 03:12 AM

Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this.

Some of our league members seem to be getting more GPL online problems since switching to hi speed ( cable ) broadband. I am still on adsl and have not noticed any increase/decrease of CTD/freeze etc.. than I have had in the last 10 years.
So it got me thinking that maybe the higher speed connection has something to do with it.

GPL is old and was programmed when the internet was just getting going so could something in the online code be having problems with the higher speeds and causing disconnects ?

I know in theory cable high speed should be better, but does higher speeds mean a higher rate of errors ?

Paul

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:26 AM

Paul... 100mb/s down and 12 up here... no issues in that regard.

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:41 AM

Paul I don't think so, au contraire, it would help.

IMO it has to do a lot with the i-net itself, in some countries it is bad in others it seems allways stable,
the fuller and more international a grid is the more troubles!.
e.g. the Canadian guys mostly stay on the server after all others are disconnected!

It seems sometimes the old GPL server engine is getting overcharged with different clients of all around the world with high and low lags.It may be cruel but I tend to reduce the clients maximum latency in iGOR to a minimum limit (~ 250)

Sometimes clients with wifi make it even worse, when the server has no information for a full second!!!

I use a server with i5-2520 and 8GB of RAM but it cant swallow everything...

#4 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:42 AM

I wouldn't attribute any of my online problems to a broadband connection. That's what I've been using since I started racing online in 2013.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links