prize

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:GPL add-on tracks and mods
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 16 2020 - 10:15 PM

There is a very large collection of expert track replays (with setups) for the original 67 cars at this link: http://ferdinandschu...etup_ferdi.html
This is a great learning tool, as it allows you to compare your performance vs. a gold standard result on many different tracks using GPL replay analyzer.

Is there a similar collection of replays on many different tracks for more recent mods, such as 65 or 55?

Thanks!

#2 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Yesterday, 08:40 AM

There are many setups and some replays at the Track Database, and many sites have hotlap replays for different tracks;  most track creators also post replays on their sites.  I advise against using other peoples' setups other than for reference (look for patterns in specific cars/tracks) as driving styles can be quite different and trying to adapt your style to someone else' setup can b e more difficult than learning to create your own setups, especially when faced with a track for which you can find no setups.  Even which steering wheel you use can make a difference in the setup.  There are many threads here and elsewhere on handling and setups and you will find creating a base setup for the car that works for you and can be taken to any track with minor changes is easier than you think.

Consider in the real world, you have your car seat and steering wheel adjusted for your comfort, loan your car to a friend and they adjust everything to their satisfaction, you get the car back and it is not "right".  Now imagine those personal preferences extending to tire pressures, spring rates, gear ratios, etc.

And be wary of hotlap setups;  they are, obviously, optimized for hotlaps - a light fuel load and relatively cold tires.  Put in even enough fuel for a thirty minute race and get the tires fully warmed up and you typically find the handling ...disappointing.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,825 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Yesterday, 03:41 PM

I've always preferred to do and find my own setups. No matter how hard it can be. I love the challenge and the immersion of finding my own. I feel better if my setup gives me a good time. It's just fantastic to learn too the art of racing and the black hearts of setups.

I would rather finish last in a race and we'll off the pace, with my own set up, than using online ones. That goes for all my sim racing games. I love it and it gives me an enormous mount of enjoyment to try and try find the secret ingredient.  For me It's part of the fun.

TP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links