#1 manu

manu

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 08 2011 - 04:37 AM

Historical details of each real track of the 50's or 60's (closed or modified today for the most part of them) are for me a great part of the pleasure to play with GPL. I have my favourite real tracks but what about you ?
Vote for the most realistic track in Grand Prix Legends (historical accuracy of the layout and environment, quality of graphics, etc.).
Me, I vote first for MONTJUICH, 2nd MONACANE, 3rd ZANDVOORT and 4th NURBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE.

#2 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted Jan 08 2011 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn't call Monacane among the most realistic. It's more real-life-like than GPL's default Monaco (since you can't straightline the chicane any more), but Mark just wrote it as a quick hack by extending the guardrail. IRL, it looked pretty different visually.

Zandvoort was pretty decent given Papy's lack of resources but it isn't entirely accurate either (even with the patch I made to put the real-life dunes to the left of the straight, which was a quick hack as well), if only for the lack of sand on the track.  :dont_mention:

Montjuich I'd say is probably pretty accurate since such a lot of research and input from local guys went in it. (Although at the moment I'd say the rFactor version is even better - been updated with high-res textures by texture expert Culmone, which makes it one of the few converted tracks which looks better than its GPL original  :thumbup: ).

Nordschleife is off in several places in GPL, that's well known, so I wouldn't nominate that one either. Updated Mosport is probably closer to the real thing.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Jan 08 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#3 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Jan 08 2011 - 07:57 AM

Pants!

:lol:

#4 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted Jan 08 2011 - 04:01 PM

.....(historical accuracy of the layout and environment, quality of graphics, etc.)

This is impossible to vote on, unless you have intimate first-hand knowledge of those circuits - and remember that very few of them exist now as they did back then.
The Nurburgring is one of few exceptions, as the route today follows the same path as it did in the 1950's. But is the surrounding infrasructure the same now as it was then?

No photographic record exists of every track - or even of every metre of any one track - so how do you compare?

There are definitely sections of circuits which have excellent photo records; The start/finish and pits, certainly.
The only other well-recorded locations are those at which the photo-journalists were located.

So how could you say, for example, that Spa is any more or less realistic than Rouen, or that the Targa Florio is more historically accurate than Dundrod?

Impossible. :)

Bruce

Edited by Bruce, Jan 08 2011 - 04:02 PM.

#5 Otavio Silveira

Otavio Silveira

Keyboard nutter

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 11:36 AM

particularly I don't think the Nordschleife is so much realistic, at some Youtube videos the forest seem to come closer to the track than designed in GPL. It is pretty acceptable once the already cited lack of good material to know every point of circuit prevents accurate layouts, so in GPL it is a bit simpler than real.

the question should be "what track in GPL gives us the most similar feel to the real version?" so it gets hard, how to choose only a very few tracks?
I could tell about Spa, where is possible to feel all the danger through those 14km.
Still about feel, Jarama is surprisingly good, close to reality.
Dijon allows great fights in GPL version, similar to F1 with Villeneuve and Arnoux.
Montjuich was aproved by Jack Stewart, so it must be very real, he was there and knew the whole circuit.

(sometimes being a TotalRanker is more confusing than helpfull, anyway that's what I remember now)

could tracks like Tasta or Cerne's Wood be considered realistic anyhow?

#6 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostBruce, on Jan 08 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

.....(historical accuracy of the layout and environment, quality of graphics, etc.)

This is impossible to vote on, unless you have intimate first-hand knowledge of those circuits - and remember that very few of them exist now as they did back then.
The Nurburgring is one of few exceptions, as the route today follows the same path as it did in the 1950's. But is the surrounding infrasructure the same now as it was then?

No photographic record exists of every track - or even of every metre of any one track - so how do you compare?

There are definitely sections of circuits which have excellent photo records; The start/finish and pits, certainly.
The only other well-recorded locations are those at which the photo-journalists were located.

So how could you say, for example, that Spa is any more or less realistic than Rouen, or that the Targa Florio is more historically accurate than Dundrod?

Impossible. :)

Bruce
Actually its not impossible, but quite improbable, a bit less improbable for the original 11. His question is about historical accuracy, and not map accuracy as one post made note of. You would have had to have been alive in 1967, and at every race with either a photographic memory or a camera. Or have a huge photo archive of these races with complete coverage to do a real judging. If you can get those things, then at least the 11, and if you took some time lots of other tracks in gpl could be scrutinzed. Have at it :)Personally, I like nurburgring with xkellas add ons and the new things nurby yogi is making from photos in 67. Historical accuracy is cool.

#7 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 12:36 PM

Eläintarhanajot  1963

Not possible for me to vote anything else, since Eltsu is the only track I visit quite often. Though its not a track anymore, the surface still exists and many of the surroundings (Olympic Stadium, City Winter Garden etc...) are still there as well. The GPL version looks believable to me.

#8 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 01:04 PM

is everyone becoming blind, here....  :P  

Simply the TARGA FLORIO !!  :duh:

:realbighug: :drive1: :applause:  
to Ginetto, Sergio Loro and all contributors

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 09 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#9 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 01:08 PM

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Jan 08 2011 - 07:28 AM, said:

I wouldn't call Monacane among the most realistic. It's more real-life-like than GPL's default Monaco (since you can't straightline the chicane any more), but Mark just wrote it as a quick hack by extending the guardrail. IRL, it looked pretty different visually.

Zandvoort was pretty decent given Papy's lack of resources but it isn't entirely accurate either (even with the patch I made to put the real-life dunes to the left of the straight, which was a quick hack as well), if only for the lack of sand on the track.  :dont_mention:

Montjuich I'd say is probably pretty accurate since such a lot of research and input from local guys went in it. (Although at the moment I'd say the rFactor version is even better - been updated with high-res textures by texture expert Culmone, which makes it one of the few converted tracks which looks better than its GPL original  :thumbup: ).

Nordschleife is off in several places in GPL, that's well known, so I wouldn't nominate that one either. Updated Mosport is probably closer to the real thing.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)
  When will you stop your R Factor crusade, Rudy .We know that you know that we know that you like R Factor .

Are you commissionned for a special force mission to promote R factor, that don't really  need to be advertised ?

:wave:

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 09 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#10 JohnnyAck

JohnnyAck

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 09 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 09 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Targa is incredible actually. You can go to google maps and street view, and I can usually recognize where im at, and the curves seem very accurate in radii and width. It gotta be one of the top ones for sure.

#11 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Jan 10 2011 - 05:46 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Jan 09 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

No, i'm not but i did just got me a pair of reading glasses  :P

I agree though: Targa is absolutely amazing.
The few times i was actually able to drive i really liked the experience.
Just after driving a couple of seconds you are already immersed :)

Good call Michel :thumbup:

Edited by MECH, Jan 10 2011 - 05:48 AM.

#12 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted Jan 10 2011 - 06:06 AM

Targa for ever!  :applause:

#13 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Jan 10 2011 - 06:12 AM

I believe that Dundrod, Targa, Montjuïc, Clermont Ferrand and most other tracks ...

Forget it :D
I believe the question is very misleading as most addon tracks, even the originals, had been created with historical accuracy in mind. It's a shame taking historical in it when so much hours of work has been invested in them. Research and trying to build this with the tools available as well as what GPL can offer.

If you would ask for most fun to drive or most challenging or great racing it would be easier to answer from a personal view but asking for historical stuff also ...
One of my favorite is Jobs Siffert ;)

The Targa would be high on the list but I don't have the time to do laps or even one lap there ;)
Even Falkenberg is a great, fun track.

#14 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Jan 10 2011 - 06:14 AM

i think the new spa'67 will be giving it a run for it's money.

however nothing can touch the targa as a sheer unimaginable task. i can't think of how starting to work on the targa must have felt.

#15 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jan 10 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Jan 10 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

I believe that Dundrod, Targa, Montjuïc, Clermont Ferrand and most other tracks ...

Forget it :D
I believe the question is very misleading as most addon tracks, even the originals, had been created with historical accuracy in mind. It's a shame taking historical in it when so much hours of work has been invested in them. Research and trying to build this with the tools available as well as what GPL can offer.

If you would ask for most fun to drive or most challenging or great racing it would be easier to answer from a personal view but asking for historical stuff also ...
One of my favorite is Jobs Siffert ;)

The Targa would be high on the list but I don't have the time to do laps or even one lap there ;)
Even Falkenberg is a great, fun track.
Hallo Bernd
One thing is very said :(  with sush a beautiful track like Jobs Siffert , if you want to have a good race against the AI you must set the dlong_speed_adj_coeff to high and because of that a lot of AI drivers crasses/flying out of the turns .

Now that you mention the third track Falkenberg ....suuuuuuuper good AI and a nice little fast track .
greets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links