Treetop64

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing, biking, historical aircraft
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 07 2017 - 09:56 AM

Just got back into the game after some hardware difficulties.  Using the 2004 Demo as I lost my GPL disk many years ago...

Currently using the 1965 and Patched 1967 mods.

Questions are:

>  Is there any way to adjust the driver's eyepoint in the cockpit, without offsetting the driver's head/helmet position on the car's 3D model?

By default the position of the driver's head on the external 3D model is fine, but his eyepoint in the cockpit is a bit too high and far back in the cockpit (IMO) and I've always wanted to move this to a more realistic viewpoint.  There was a tool I used for this (can't remember which) which worked except it moved the driver's external 3D head as well, the result being the helmet looked "off" and the face disjointed.

>  What can be done about reducing the tank-like durability of the player's '65 and Patched '67 car, specifically in engine reliability and in collisions?

The 65 mod is fantastic, and I only discovered just yesterday the improved '67 hi-res car textures at the GPLEA site.  However, there is one thing the default '67 cars that come with the 2004 demo represent better than either mod, and that is the player's car is appropriately delicate.  The engine is a lot less tolerant to over-revving (and it's more likely to fail anyway even when treated well), and the car actually breaks in a collision.  On the other hand, with the '65 mod for instance, I've had situations where I lost the car and smacked into something at moderate speed, but was able to just back out with minimal - if any - adverse effects and continue as though nothing happened.  This was during a full-length GP at "realistic" difficulty.  It takes a massive accident at high speed to break the car enough to force a retirement.  Also, out of the countless races I've had in the 65 mod I've not once experienced a failed engine, even in sufficient accidents or when abusing and over-revving it during full length races.

I'm reasonably careful with driving and don't expect to win absolutely every single race as there needs to be some plausible challenge.  There needs to be consequences for mistreating the car and bad driving.  The arcade-like damage model on the 65 and Patched 67 cars is far too forgiving.

I love this gem of a sim, even my poor trimmed down demo version, but these are two things that have bugged me since forever.

Thanks!

:wave:

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 07 2017 - 10:21 AM

GPLSA is the old app you speak off, but it has also an option not to change the helmet position. Most handy is using GPLShift (not for getting less neutal shifting time, since it gives an unfair advantage) for driving view. Then you have to adjust everytime you load GPL using a cursor (up/down) + Shift/Ctrl to find the right driving view, combined with the FOV you like to use.

It's true mods are less sensitive to damage, but I'm not sure what you mean by patched 67 having less damage sensitivity, it's not my experience...just run the Pro damage models. That's the only way having the most damage sensitivity for each mod...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jun 07 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,107 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jun 07 2017 - 12:19 PM

GPLSA fixed head position routine seems to not always work.
Easy fix has been to copy/overwrite a saved car file back into install folder.

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jun 07 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Jun 07 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

GPLSA fixed head position routine seems to not always work.
Easy fix has been to copy/overwrite a saved car file back into install folder.

It works well here, actually I use GPLSA only for 67s and GPLShift for all the mods.

With 67s and GPLSA I have put back al driving views back to default with "Adjust Driver Head" checked clicking "Next". Then I put back my preferred parameters back and unchecked "Adjust Driver Head" and clicking "Next". This way you have the preferred driving view, and still the driver head is in it's original place ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jun 07 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#5 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Jun 10 2017 - 01:50 PM

The durability of 65 cars was discussed many times, one has to remember however, that in 2006 (IIRC), modders just barely learned how to change just basic physics stuff (engine capacities, power curves, chassis weights, tyre grip) and any unforseen side effects caused by these cracks/edits of the original code were completely unknown - engine durability was one of them. It still might be, actually.

One could wonder if '65 mod, being the very first and oldest of them all could be reworked again like 69 was. But with literally a handful of people on the planet knowing how to reverse-engineer the GPL physics code (or rather fragments of it), I don't think you'll find volunteers for the job.

Edited by Art-J, Jun 10 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#6 Treetop64

Treetop64

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing, biking, historical aircraft
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 10 2017 - 11:46 PM

Tried GPLSA again (that was the old utility I mentioned that I couldn't remember) but the same graphical offset problem persists.  When offset is checked the driver's face polygon stays put but the helmet poly moves to match the changed eyepoint.  The result looks strange...

GPL Shift is very handy and easy to use, but the helmet moves when the eyepoint is changed.  Not an issue if you only move a small number of keystrokes, though.

The rest of the 65 mod is so well done that I can live with the durability.  If I shunt hard enough I just remove myself from the race.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links