- - - - -

Gpl V0.0.0.5 Pre-Alpha! Let's Start A Gpl Museum.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 02 2019 - 11:54 PM

View PostTvO, on Jan 02 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

Doesn't the finished GPL have head movement too? It's more subdued though

View PostLee200, on Jan 02 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

I can't see the driver's head move Tommie.  Maybe I need better glasses?

View Postginetto, on Jan 02 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

I thought that too; very little movement but is there; no? :unsure:

My impression is that there IS movement, but only in the cockpit view. Drive on the grass and the camera still oscillates up and down, but there are fewer, softer oscillations. Drive up the 'launch ramp' at Kyalami and you'll see it again, but it's subtle. In the F10 behind-the-car view it's gone entirely. Generally, that tells me the code is still there, but the values are either zero'd, or set to a low number.

Do you think that's something you would be able to have a play with Lee, code wise? Might make an interesting mod for the future.

#22 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 03:36 AM

I think it's there in F10 view too. Best viewed at Sebring with it's bumpy straight :) . You can see the head move up and down compared to the roll bar ;) .

I think it was Bob Simpson who brought this up years ago, been paying attention to it since I know it's there. Lee's bobblehead patch is a game changer though :)

#23 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 05:00 AM

Very interesting. Many thanks for doing it and share.

#24 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 06:14 AM

View PostTvO, on Jan 03 2019 - 03:36 AM, said:

I think it's there in F10 view too. Best viewed at Sebring with it's bumpy straight :) . You can see the head move up and down compared to the roll bar ;) .

I think it was Bob Simpson who brought this up years ago, been paying attention to it since I know it's there. Lee's bobblehead patch is a game changer though :)

Ah I see, there's a misunderstanding here. In terms of the movement of the driver's physical head, yes, it's in the final game.

What I was referring to in the demo was strong movement of the 'camera' whenever you hit a wall. Did you see that part of my video? (From 9:05)

#25 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 07:22 AM

Yes the F10 view head movement is gone. It was perhaps slightly silly anyway. A mirror would've made more sense ;)

#26 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 07:31 AM

I just took another look at the code and yes, there are lines of code that refer to head position and in one place to head rotation.

It really must be subtle though because I don't see it in either the cockpit or external views.  I used the basic gpl.exe.

To address PTRACERS thought about making the driver's cockpit view change dynamically, yes I had a beta patch that did that.  But our mod team testers didn't like the effect and it even made one slightly ill.  So I stopped working on it.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 03 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#27 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostLee200, on Jan 03 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

To address PTRACERS thought about making the driver's cockpit view change dynamically, yes I had a beta patch that did that.  But our mod team testers didn't like the effect and it even made one slightly ill.  So I stopped working on it.

Interesting, since that probably explains why Papy removed this feature after the demo.

#28 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostPTRACER, on Jan 03 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Interesting, since that probably explains why Papy removed this feature after the demo.

Maybe so, but more modern sims seem to have it.  Like any of my patches, it's easy to turn off with GEM+ if the player doesn't like the effect.  It's been a long time since I worked on it, but if I run out of things to do, I may revive it.

#29 Chris Amon

Chris Amon

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:GPL.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 11:20 AM

PTRACER,that must have taken an age to put together. Thanks very much for the education.

Edited by Chris Amon, Jan 03 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#30 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 03:12 PM

This might belong in the other thread but this video has sparked some memories for me. GPL came out three weeks after I turned 8 years old, but I only got to know about it when my dad got it from somewhere for himself to play around fall in 2003. Suddenly I was kept up late at night for weeks to the sound of a screaming V12 with intermittent cussing inbetween. After some time I finally had the nerve to walk into the room at the attic where the PC was located to see what all the fuss was about (having been playing GP3 and NFS2 for years I already knew never to walk in the door when somebody was playing a racing game :P , especially during cussing fits). It turned out he was trying to wrestle the Ferrari around the Nürburgring. I don't think he ever completed a single lap. I've seen him hit the tree at Adenauer Forst multiple times though...

Soon after that the roles were reversed. As a 13 year old kid I could barely see above the steering wheel (an old 'Boeder' wheel my dad got for us to play NFS2 with) and the pedals were too far away to drive comfortably. The ring was too hard for me, but I read the manual (we didn't have internet back then!) and found out the Brabham won the championship and Steve Smith said it was a good car although maybe not the best. My opinion was the driver was much more important than the car anyway, plus it won so couldn't be too bad. I picked Zandvoort and learned GPL through that car / track combo after practising for months. I was too chicken to even attempt a race back then :D . I never felt really in control though and after a couple of months I put it away.

I never forgot it though, even if I never even knew the game's name. Then in the winter of 2005 we finally got internet decent enough to visit Google without having to wait one minute for the page to load (not kidding, dial-up taught me the meaning of patience) and one day I found the game was called GPL. I found the box hinden away on the attic and installed it on my own PC which I had just gotten for my birthday. Got it to work very soon and got a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel with FF for christmas. All the stars aligned.

The FF did it for me, finally I was able to tell the car what to do. I broke the 1:30 barrier at Zandvoort and figured I was good enough to race to computer opponents. I was still racing the stock version so compared to Gran Turismo and GP4 the game looked like a Picasso painting, still there was something about racing the AI that captivated me. Seeing those newspapers after the races taught me about the top guns. Clark, Brabham, Gurney and Bandini were always up there. One day I cracked it and score the pole, obviously still at Zandvoort in the Brabham. I still remember the time, 1:28.23. I had never been more nervous but managed to get away well and fended Brabham off for most of the race until he finally faltered and was passed by Clark. I won the race 3 seconds in front. My heart was pounding :D . I did it!

I had always figured GPL had been abandoned a long time ago, but then my dad told me about the GPLEA. That was just the start. Soon enough I installed the 1969 mod, and found Stefan Roess online in my first iGOR online pickup race. I was invited to join GPLRACER for their new 1969 season, and got invited to help develop the 1966 mod through Stefan. Just before that I completed my first textures, for the BRM P139, using an old PSP8 copy I got from school, and Paul Skingley was kind enough to add them to the 1969 mod Part 3 :) . GPL has pretty much been my main hobby after that.

Even after 13 years there is just something that clicks in my mind seeing those old Papyrus cars. I can still see myself on pole at Zandy nervous as hell all those years back. I wonder what would have happened if my dad had chosen to go straight home that one day and not stop by the store to find GPL in some kind of discount bin. Most probably I would have never become an engineer. I'd have been lost forever!

Tommie

Edited by TvO, Jan 03 2019 - 03:13 PM.

#31 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostTvO, on Jan 03 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

This might belong in the other thread but this video has sparked some memories for me. GPL came out three weeks after I turned 8 years old, but I only got to know about it when my dad got it from somewhere for himself to play around fall in 2003. Suddenly I was kept up late at night for weeks to the sound of a screaming V12 with intermittent cussing inbetween. After some time I finally had the nerve to walk into the room at the attic where the PC was located to see what all the fuss was about (having been playing GP3 and NFS2 for years I already knew never to walk in the door when somebody was playing a racing game :P , especially during cussing fits). It turned out he was trying to wrestle the Ferrari around the Nürburgring. I don't think he ever completed a single lap. I've seen him hit the tree at Adenauer Forst multiple times though...

Soon after that the roles were reversed. As a 13 year old kid I could barely see above the steering wheel (an old 'Boeder' wheel my dad got for us to play NFS2 with) and the pedals were too far away to drive comfortably. The ring was too hard for me, but I read the manual (we didn't have internet back then!) and found out the Brabham won the championship and Steve Smith said it was a good car although maybe not the best. My opinion was the driver was much more important than the car anyway, plus it won so couldn't be too bad. I picked Zandvoort and learned GPL through that car / track combo after practising for months. I was too chicken to even attempt a race back then :D . I never felt really in control though and after a couple of months I put it away.

I never forgot it though, even if I never even knew the game's name. Then in the winter of 2005 we finally got internet decent enough to visit Google without having to wait one minute for the page to load (not kidding, dial-up taught me the meaning of patience) and one day I found the game was called GPL. I found the box hinden away on the attic and installed it on my own PC which I had just gotten for my birthday. Got it to work very soon and got a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel with FF for christmas. All the stars aligned.

The FF did it for me, finally I was able to tell the car what to do. I broke the 1:30 barrier at Zandvoort and figured I was good enough to race to computer opponents. I was still racing the stock version so compared to Gran Turismo and GP4 the game looked like a Picasso painting, still there was something about racing the AI that captivated me. Seeing those newspapers after the races taught me about the top guns. Clark, Brabham, Gurney and Bandini were always up there. One day I cracked it and score the pole, obviously still at Zandvoort in the Brabham. I still remember the time, 1:28.23. I had never been more nervous but managed to get away well and fended Brabham off for most of the race until he finally faltered and was passed by Clark. I won the race 3 seconds in front. My heart was pounding :D . I did it!

I had always figured GPL had been abandoned a long time ago, but then my dad told me about the GPLEA. That was just the start. Soon enough I installed the 1969 mod, and found Stefan Roess online in my first iGOR online pickup race. I was invited to join GPLRACER for their new 1969 season, and got invited to help develop the 1966 mod through Stefan. Just before that I completed my first textures, for the BRM P139, using an old PSP8 copy I got from school, and Paul Skingley was kind enough to add them to the 1969 mod Part 3 :) . GPL has pretty much been my main hobby after that.

Even after 13 years there is just something that clicks in my mind seeing those old Papyrus cars. I can still see myself on pole at Zandy nervous as hell all those years back. I wonder what would have happened if my dad had chosen to go straight home that one day and not stop by the store to find GPL in some kind of discount bin. Most probably I would have never become an engineer. I'd have been lost forever!

Tommie

Lovely story Tommie! Thanks

My first win was at Zandvoort too :thumbup:

Edited by leon_90, Jan 03 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#32 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 04:52 PM

I'm not the only one who gets serious pre-race nerves then, even against the AI.

This is truly what makes GPL special.

#33 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 03:52 PM

Great story Tommie!

I have some similar memories. Like my mum calling me for dinner and me saying "I'll be down after I finish this lap!" Nearly 10 minutes later she would call again, saying "You told me you'd be down after you finished that lap!" to which I replied honestly, "I'm still on the same lap, I'm driving the Nurburgring!"

-----------------

One more historical fact. The first ever GPL mod was made only 5 days after the demo was released!

It was a Ferrari skin for the Brabham: https://web.archive....om:80/news.html

#34 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Feb 02 2019 - 02:04 AM

It's effectively a really nice story Tommie :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links