• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 dathyr1

dathyr1

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Installing GPL again on my new gaming computer and Wanted to get a few more tracks for GPL.
  • Sim interest:Nascar

Posted Nov 19 2018 - 12:28 AM

Thanks AbidingDude  for your info on using Vorpx and VR with GPL.  I dont have Vorpx yet but do plan on getting it for non-VR games. When I do get
Vorpx, I will give it a go with GPL and also Nascar 2003.

I also have the Oculus Rift and use it with many other popular racing apps such as Project cars 2(PC2), Assetto Corsa, and RaceRoom to name a few.
First time I put the Rift on with PC2 in a F1 car at Indy track was kind of a Wow factor, True VR puts me right in the drivers seat and can look all around inside and outside the car. If I had enough room I could get outside the car and walk all around it.  First lap around Indy I spent more time looking at the scenery around me than concentrating on the driving.  hehe.  

The only thing I see with the Rift far as a downside is the graphics Resolution of the lenses. I am used it and once I start racing online I dont pay much attention to it.  But VR does need to get to the next level of Graphics Resolution.  As you all know cost is a big factor also.

Vorpx gives more of the 3D effect on non-VR supported games.  May not actually be in the drivers seat with Vorpx, but it does get us closer to enjoying the racing apps with VR that is not supported. Now I could go one step farther and use my Trackir 5 with VR-Vorpx to get the headmotion I need.  

Last thing I found out, some racing apps have the feature called "Look to Apex" which one in particular I have is F1-2018.  What this does is the camera view works/pans off of how much your steering wheel moves left and right. This give kind of the impression of head movement by the camera view looks in the direction I am turning.  It can be adjusted for how much you want the effect.  I tried it and it works fairly good with F1-2018.  Add that with Vorpx-VR and may make a good racing experience since F1-2018 is also a non VR racing app/.  

take care,
Dave

#22 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 19 2018 - 07:01 AM

Dave and all,

GPL Glance offers similar function as "Look to Apex."

:D

#23 dathyr1

dathyr1

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Installing GPL again on my new gaming computer and Wanted to get a few more tracks for GPL.
  • Sim interest:Nascar

Posted Nov 19 2018 - 12:45 PM

Thanks John, I will try GPL Glance  out.

Edited:
I tried out GPL Glance and works great.  I need to now try it with Vorpx which I just got a couple days ago.  Testing
AbidingDude's configuration with Vorpx at this time.

Also setup Nascar2003 with Vorpx since it is also an Opengl older type game.  I got it to now work in 3D similar to GPL.
When I go back to the menus in Nascar2003, there is no flickering. GPL I get flickering and have to turn off 3D.

take care,
Dave

Edited by dathyr1, Nov 22 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#24 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted Nov 29 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hopefully someone will someday figure out how to get to the base code and re-code the entire engine to work natively with VR. That would be awesome.

#25 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Nov 30 2018 - 05:50 AM

View Postisamu, on Nov 29 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Hopefully someone will someday figure out how to get to the base code and re-code the entire engine to work natively with VR. That would be awesome.

:duh:
It would be easier to start again from scratch.

#26 Tormentor

Tormentor

Jackie Stewart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted Dec 21 2018 - 10:38 PM

Does'nt work for me.
Purchased vorpX, installed it, imported the profil and set the gpl.exe for it. GPL starts with vorpX in the backround, but not in VR. It's more like playing in a gigantic theater, and the screen is fixed to your head. When i am moving my head to the left, i am not looking to the left, but the whole screen moves to the left. Any idea whats going on here?
Using a Samsung Odyssey+ WMR headset which is awesome in AC and RRRE.

Edited by Tormentor, Dec 21 2018 - 10:40 PM.

#27 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted Dec 24 2018 - 06:31 PM

I tried it with VORPX once and the experience was exactly like you described Tormentor. It doesn't give you a true VR experience at all, and more like a big theater one. Someone is going to have to really dig deep into the game's code and figure out how to make it deliver a real, natural 3D experience that is compatible with VR headsets. If it ever gets done it's going to be huge for the GPL community.

#28 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Simracing, and snooker for some reason.
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Dec 25 2018 - 09:31 AM

Ah, that's a shame. I had some hopes for VorpX. Luckily it works pretty well with triples.

#29 Ted Meat

Ted Meat

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix 1-4 by Geoff Crammond, Grand Prix Legends and the other Papyrus games, iRacing, Assetto Corsa

Posted Feb 11 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostTormentor, on Dec 21 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Purchased vorpX, installed it, imported the profil and set the gpl.exe for it. GPL starts with vorpX in the backround, but not in VR. It's more like playing in a gigantic theater, and the screen is fixed to your head. When i am moving my head to the left, i am not looking to the left, but the whole screen moves to the left. Any idea whats going on here?

I did some testing myself with vorpX and the problem is that the head tracking of a VR-headset does not agree with GPL. I have Oculus Rift and I couldn't figure it out no matter what I tried.

However I did get it to work. Kinda. The workaround is to use a combination of a VR headset and TrackIR. With a VR headset you get the stereoscopic 3D and all that while TrackIR takes care of the head movement. It takes a LOT of fiddling around with the TrackIR settings to get the head movement feel natural inside VR. Might be possible to pull it off but I decided to give up.

The main reason why I gave up was that even if the head movement would feel ok, the performance of the game was awful in VR. Got around 17 FPS. You get nothing more than a headache with frames like that. Also VR doesn't feel quite right, you don't get the feeling that you're actually sitting inside the cockpit.

But at least there's the workaround for the fixed screen if someone wants to take it further. Or if someone really gets the head tracking to work with just a VR headset then congrats and plz tell how :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links