#21 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:26 PM

GPL may be outdated by now in terms of graphics and physics, but I guess for mere mortals (i.e. nearly all of us) it'll probably never be outdated in terms of pure challenge.

(Staying on the track at speed is tough enough in most cases!  :yeah:  )

Yes, I've been saying for years that some modders better get a move on before their stuff is outdated at launch, but that doesn't make it worthless per se. As long as there are people to drive it. In case of GPL potential driver numbers have dwindled for some years though. There is kind of a spin off effect though because many GPL cars and tracks tend to be converted and used again in newer sims later on.

On the other hand, with the newer sims you see kind of the same as with GPL when it came out: looks great, but the system requirements are so heavy (certainly in case of pCars) that many people won't be able to run it smoothly (I have a dual core i5 and I strongly doubt it'll be enough).

Regards, R

#22 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostSwiftyOne, on May 13 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

You know what?...Think I just will do that :)...Where would be the place to purchase GPL?

EDIT: Just placed a bid on eBay for GPL, cool ;)

Cheers...
Swifty

Just go to, one of our sister sites, the alternative GPL track database and get the new installer to get you going when you get your CD (use this instead of the installer on the CD as it will improve your GPL immediately.). Then use the links there to get all the stuff you want including GEM, a must to run the mods and extra patches,  and of course the extra tracks.

:yinyang:

#23 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi Swifty,

If you do not get that disc from Ebay, you can get it direct from http://www.sold-out.co.uk/ for £5.10

http://www.mastertro...roductLabelID=1

Edited by dangermouse, May 13 2012 - 04:02 PM.
placed direct link

#24 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:30 PM

When I first bought GPL I did not update it for a few months, so it was original awful graphics. I dont suppose anyone bought GPL for the graphics, its all about the physics. If c.a.r.s churn out some standard easy to drive physics then I will probably not buy it.

#25 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:43 PM

well i guess we did get it for the graphics back then. you gotta remember that GPL is 14 years old now. in words. fourteen! :shock:. we will see how long any of its potential "successors" will be around. i'm eagerly awaiting the day one of the proper old tracks is done for pcars (aside those in it like rouen).

#26 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 13 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the GPL heads up guy's :)8 days left on eBay £2.00 ;)

@ sky... "I'm eagerly awaiting the day one of the proper old tracks is done for pcars" (You probably know about these planned tracks?)

Planned/Confirmed Tracks for pCARS

- Solitude Rennstrecke
- Nordschleife
- Brands Hatch
- Oulton Park
- Snetterton
- Cadwell Park
- Monaco
- Milan Oval
- Old Spa 1967
- Monza (1967 GPL2)

Cheers..
Swifty

Edited by SwiftyOne, May 13 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#27 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted May 14 2012 - 06:57 PM

Mmm... can`t wait for Old Spa...

:drool2: :woot:

#28 GORDON_S

GORDON_S

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 232 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 08:53 AM

Posts #16 and #17 make me feel that there is still a lot of future for GPL.

Thank you Ginetto and Martin.:thumbup:

Gordon

#29 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 15 2012 - 02:02 PM

I can't wait for Solitude Rennstrecke...Been playing that in Nascar2003..HeHe Be a great track to race with :)

#30 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:36 AM

View Postbenzman, on May 12 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I have  gone to the Project Cars website and trawled through the screenshots in  all of the galleries and a couple of thoughts spring to mind.  For how  much longer will we be able to regard GPL as being the King of the  racing sims?  I think we all agree that the physics of GPL are what  makes it so difficult and satisfying to master, but I think we also  realise that graphics-wise it is showing its age.  Are we so fiercely  loyal to GPL just because it is the only sim that well represents our  favourite era of racing?  I also feel that it must be rather depressing  for mod team members.  GPL mods take such a phenomenal amount of work  and time to complete that there is a real danger that by the time the  mod is ready for release it has already been made obsolete by some other  sim.  Without mentioning any names, I feel quite sure that some of the  GPL mods either mooted or in development have already been well  surpassed by existing mods on other sims.  And now I will sit back and  wait for the flames to arrive!

Oh, Benzman, I see some frustrations in your analysis.

What you say maybe completely true, but what will you try to convince others that are alls at least as aware as you of many others mods on others platforms, and their qualities ??

As a loyal old GPLer afficionados, why suddenly  you  seems to have a revenge toward the great game ?

We all welcome the SwiftyOne infos and I am sure we wld alls try and play a sixties /seventies mod on Project cars platform.

After all, we don' t know of modders and alls that stay here  maybe play more "sophisticated ' games in parallel .

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 16 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#31 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:40 AM

[

You know what?...Think I just will do that :)...Where would be the place to purchase GPL?

Cheers...
Swifty

hey, that 's a positive reaction.

Thks to try our very old game... One advice only : be warned not to become an addict, with so much things to try inside the GPL world !

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 16 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#32 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:50 AM

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 16 2012 - 04:51 AM.

#33 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 05:02 AM

View Postsky, on May 13 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

well i guess we did get it for the graphics back then. you gotta remember that GPL is 14 years old now. in words. fourteen! :shock:. we will see how long any of its potential "successors" will be around. i'm eagerly awaiting the day one of the proper old tracks is done for pcars (aside those in it like rouen).

Ths for the info Roman . So I will try this game and Rouen

#34 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted May 16 2012 - 05:04 AM

michel, i didn't see it as a "flame" as such or as vengeful or whatnot. it is a cool assessment of what is happening. as i have said before, i am involved in both GPL and pcars. so i know both sides of the fence - and i keep modding gpl. why? because it is a challenge. also i find it very rewarding when you see something you did. of course, i would really love to see a 330P4 in pcars, just so i can recreate my own skins again knowing they will leave our GPL P4 far behind in the dust and probably look like photos. however the driving still feels different. i am not going to say it feels more realistic in one or the other as i have no real world comparison that would enable me to make objective assessments of that. it is a gut feel, i guess. and everyone is entitled to his or her opionion. and that is his, and it is valid as far as i can tell. it is a question we may have to ask ourselves (or have asked already ;))

GPL has been left behind in regards to graphics ages ago. rfactor1 already had way better graphics and still GPL is going strongish. but as has often been quoted it is the package, the sum of all its components that makes it survive - so far. the era, the cars, the tracks - it all matches. that is lacking with almost every other title out there. or if it's there, then the driving sensation is bland.

if you ask me, i prefer the details of pcars over those of GPL. i have never shied away from voicing that. however i am always quite impressed with what we can squeeze out of the limited resources we have. i could quote polycount number comparisions of pcars vs GPL and you'd probably go :o. that just shows the technological evolution that has happened in the past 14 years. something we could probably overcome with an engine rebuild based on current day technology or better with cutting edge technology so as to ensure it will stay with us for quite a while longer.

again, these are MY opinions, not those of the team :)

#35 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 16 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on May 16 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

[

Cheers...
Swifty

hey, that 's a positive reaction.

Thks to try our very old game... One advice only : be warned not to become an addict, with so much things to try inside the GPL world !

Yes it is that :) Six days 23 hours left...God! Time takes forever when your waiting ;)

Swifty

#36 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 17 2012 - 09:05 AM

7 days have passed since the last Community Gallery and for all of you waiting for more Project CARS glory, here’s the latest batch of previews made by our talented members.

This week, the gallery comes with 36 stunning shots, showing off both new content that was added during the last few weeks as well as old faithfuls Project CARS members have been enjoying for months.

As usual, the shots show purely in-game footage that has not been made in any special photo mode with no post-processing or filters that aren’t available during the actual gameplay – What you see in the gallery is what you experience while driving!

Creative users can make usage of various tools, including a free roam camera and a depth of field editor, making Project CARS the perfect choice to create stunning videos or screenshots like the ones in this weeks gallery ...Enjoy! ;)

http://www.wmdportal...ity-gallery-19/

#37 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 21 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi guy's

Just a snip of news...
Project CARS Raises Over 1,000,000 Euros!
From Community Funding: http://www.wmdportal.com/

Swifty

#38 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted May 21 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hi Swifty :)
I didn't raise any Euros and I feel quite proud of myself ;)

#39 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,370 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted May 22 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostGinetto, on May 21 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

You can be proud on your self Ginetto!
This is another opportunity to thank you for your benefit free work.

#40 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 22 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostGinetto, on May 21 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

And so you should...You have much to be proud of :)

Swifty

eBay..21h 23mins...GPL is coming :)

Edited by SwiftyOne, May 22 2012 - 01:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links