• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 06:51 AM

While watching this weeks car gp and practice/qualy at spa.
Always wondered why the start/finish in F1 begins before La Source than as it did in the sixties and some events today,down the hill by the old pits.
Is it something to do with health/safety or other?
Also when was the last time F1/gp used the old grid start down the hill.

TP:

#2 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 07:16 AM

1981 it was changed according to wiki.
I suppose for safety.
Better have some scrambling straight after a start for the turn when speed is low then unleashing a pack on a downhill section with high speeds. The turn is slowing them down and limiting the number of cars side by side.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 07:57 AM

Yes, but now they have even more speed going into Eau Rouge, and they're still bunched up going into it. I thought it had something to do with pit entrance? The old track pits weren't safe.

Did you know only 3 turns are the same as the old track? Spa is not Spa anymore.

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,474 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Mech for the info! Couldn't seem to lay my hands on the reasons.
Agreed Pete and you talk to people,fans ,drivers and media and they don't know about the old track or ignore its heritage.

TP:

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,474 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 11:14 AM

Yes Pete but I think last year on BBC coverage they had a bit on the old track.
One statement I am sure was the present track as the same number or maybe more corners ? As the old classic track?
Unless I misheard?
Probably because of the old and new track topography!
TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Aug 22 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#6 weldmetal12

weldmetal12

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:GPL, vintage racing SVRA, tinkering
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 22 2015 - 01:14 PM

I've been accused of being a MOTO (master of the obvious). :hithead:
So here goes.... driving say P&G cars on the new Spa, makes me appreciate both the lack of safety of the era in sims and the fine job the team made of Spa67.

It brings me back to GPL every time. The new Spa forces me into walls and finds me stuck in the sand, if I remember correctly. Flow= Fun. Right?

#7 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Aug 23 2015 - 06:29 AM

Spa had a major rebuild before they got F1 back in 83. New pits, rebuild Eau Rouge, propably bus stop not sure on the last one. There is a rule in the regs stating that pitlanes need to be flat or below a certain gradient, dont know if that would be in effect back in 83. But its the reason the current Silverstone pits seem to go into the ground.
Anyway I'm sure breaking up the back before they headed into Eau Rouge was the main idea behind that. You dont want interlocking wheels into that corner. Sportscars started down the hill for a long while afterwards which dont suffer from those issues.

#8 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Aug 26 2015 - 01:47 AM

I don't know how much of a relable source it's considered to be, but "Dossier Michel Vaillant: Spa-Francorchamps" by Jean Graton explains it pretty clearly.

The "old" Spa had a really distinct aura of a track so long and so fast that is was almost impossible to tame entirely: you could tame and master certain sections, but not all of it. It was called "The Motorsport University" because the preparation needed to even do a lap without hugging a tree or some bricks was the same you would do for an University exam. And, like a tough exam, separated the good drivers from the bad and the masters.
For example, Jacky Ickx and Jim Clark explained to Graton that the track was always greasy because of the leaves and the resin pouring from the trees, but some sections weren't (La Source, Masta Straight and kink, Stavelot) so one would think to "make the laptime" there. Wrong. They expalined him that this tactic makes you only lose time, because you'll go slower on the greasy parts: instead, they tried to work the laptime on the slippery sections, because they knew that almost everyone was slowing down there.
The track also was threatened by the project of a highway being built just 50 metres from the Masta kink, which (combined with the dangerousness of the track itself and the requests from Stweart's "syndicate" for safer circuits) led to the temporary shut-down from 1971 to 1979.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links