Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Aug 16 2015 - 12:11 PM

Yeah I tried some of the others but they're even worse. There's no usable FFB. There's something of a bungee cord feeling for the self-aligning torque and two or three canned effects for road noise, grass and kerbs. And that's it. Couple that with some inexplicable damping which I hope only affects the direct drive wheels and you end up with something totally awkward to drive. The damping works against self-alignment so you can't throw the wheel around but always have to push through the molasses. The way the cars under- or oversteer without any feeling in the wheel or audible feedback is really off putting.

Also, the setup on the Ruf is so limited that I can't find a setup which lets me drive it properly. I'm no Stefan Rozer but there isn't a setup available which lets me slide it nicely in the right gears with the right torque. Highly frustrating!

I just want to drive it properly like Röhrl here, but I can't do it without using either 2nd gear half the time or 3rd with low, low revs..

https://www.youtube....h?v=tzx3zxW-5So

Edited by Remco Hitman, Aug 16 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#272 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 16 2015 - 12:45 PM

They adjusted the self aligning torque and damping in patch 1.2 and most people seemed to think it was an improvement, I assume you have the latest version 1.2.4?

If so, I guess AC just isn't for you :shrug:

#273 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted Aug 16 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hmm well I'm still trying to like it and have just done a 7:58 on the street tyres. I'll give it one thing and that is that it teaches you to NEVER enter a corner off the throttle. So that's kind of right.

And then I stumbled across a setting called MAX_FRAME_LATENCY and set it to 1. Then I went out for a few corners and already I could tell a huge difference in latency! That helps A LOT. The damping is still there but at least the steering now has an acceptable amount of input lag which means the car's much less of a hoovercraft.

Edited by Remco Hitman, Aug 16 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#274 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Aug 16 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Aug 16 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

Hmm well I'm still trying to like it and have just done a 7:58 on the street tyres. I'll give it one thing and that is that it teaches you to NEVER enter a corner off the throttle. So that's kind of right.

And then I stumbled across a setting called MAX_FRAME_LATENCY and set it to 1. Then I went out for a few corners and already I could tell a huge difference in latency! That helps A LOT. The damping is still there but at least the steering now has an acceptable amount of input lag which means the car's much less of a hoovercraft.

Ah yes, I've heard about that setting. Mine always seems to stay set to 1 but some people report that they keep needing to reset it after each update.

You also might want to try enabling gyroscopic effect on the wheels and tyres, it's experimental at this point but I've heard it can help some direct drive wheels. You'll find it in the "\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg" folder in the "assetto_corsa.ini" file:

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=0
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0

I didn't notice much difference on my G27 but they're refining the code for the next patch so that might improve it.

#275 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted Aug 16 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Aug 16 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Ah yes, I've heard about that setting. Mine always seems to stay set to 1 but some people report that they keep needing to reset it after each update.

You also might want to try enabling gyroscopic effect on the wheels and tyres, it's experimental at this point but I've heard it can help some direct drive wheels. You'll find it in the "\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg" folder in the "assetto_corsa.ini" file:

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=0
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0

I didn't notice much difference on my G27 but they're refining the code for the next patch so that might improve it.

Interesting! Thanks Rich.

#276 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted Aug 24 2015 - 04:35 PM

I found a way to get rid of any residual damping from the wheel's firmware and it has transformed how the car feels! The FF still has a distinct shock cord feel to it but it's drivable!

https://www.youtube....h?v=eHkPUl7DQLw

#277 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Aug 25 2015 - 02:43 AM

There's some stuff in this video about 10 minutes in:

https://www.youtube....h?v=miR3_FnsfSo

They're improving the sound for the next update and also he talks about problems with rear tyre graining which he has now fixed with a small patch (1.2.5 I think)... maybe that's been part of the problem with the Ruf?

Glad you've fixed the damping issue, there's absolutely no damping whatsoever on my G27 except when the cars are stationary (unless they have power steering)

Later in the video he also discusses the canned force feedback effects and how you should probably turn them right down, or turn them off completely... that may improve the feel of the cars further.

Edited by Fat Rich, Aug 25 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#278 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 02:11 PM

Has anyone tried out the 1.3 update with the new tire model?

#279 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 02:33 PM

Going by memory when I read the 1.3 update the Lotus has the same tires.

#280 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 03:04 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Oct 11 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

Going by memory when I read the 1.3 update the Lotus has the same tires.

yep the 49 still goes on v4; it is yet to be updated alongside the other historicals. The only one updated is the GT40 but it's still not polished in my opinion. v5 is yet to be done properly on vintage tires for me

I think other cars are pretty much fun and much better. The Ferrari F40 is glorious and the Ruf yellowbird puts a smile on my face at every corner. Also the new Countach is fun

Edited by leon_90, Oct 11 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#281 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 03:04 PM

Yup, most of my favourite cars still have the old tyre model, including the Lotus 49, Ferrari 312T, Lotus 98T and the Cobra, although these will be updated fairly soon. I believe these have been held back while Kunos try to get some better tyre data as they weren't entirely sure about the behaviour of these vintage tyres before.

Pretty much all of the other cars are on the new tyre model and it's a very nice improvement in my opinion, cars are much more lively and slidy, while at the same time being a little more chuckable and catchable. The cars seem to respond better to throttle inputs mid corner, not as much as GPL which seems like an exploit sometimes.

Some of the grippiest and dullest cars to drive have come alive with the new update and are much more fun. They've also fixed some spooky behaviour with some of the 4WD cars apparently, haven't tried them myself yet.

Leon, if you loved the Sauber C9 before you'll be besotted now..... tremendous.

And the GT40 MKII is awesome, although it's glaringly obvious some of the dials don't work after driving the same car in GPL's GT mod for so long. It also looks like it's on some kind of slick tyre which doesn't seem quite right either for the mid sixties.

It's the usual thing with Assetto Corsa, some of it is brilliant, but other bits need work or are just unfinished: AI is improving but not there yet, working dials, proper race starts with flag rules, pitstops in single player, long races..... it has the potential to be the best racing sim ever but it seems to be aimed more at the Forza / Gran Tourismo / Project Cars market, which is a bit disappointing. Still a fun driving experience in my opinion.

#282 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Oct 11 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Leon, if you loved the Sauber C9 before you'll be besotted now..... tremendous.

I know, I know :D :D tried it out for just a bit and loved it. I'll come back to her in due time to fully appreciate it :)

And the GT40 MKII is awesome, although it's glaringly obvious some of the dials don't work after driving the same car in GPL's GT mod for so long. It also looks like it's on some kind of slick tyre which doesn't seem quite right either for the mid sixties.

I agree. I think it is because they wanted to release it on v5 just because it was in a payed DLC but it is yet to be properly updated. It'll be when other classic cars will be sorted out for the new tire model. For now it is on some sort of v4/v5 mixed tire model, which is odd. But shows potential for the car.
It is the MKI however, if I am not mistaken.

It's the usual thing with Assetto Corsa, some of it is brilliant, but other bits need work or are just unfinished: AI is improving but not there yet, working dials, proper race starts with flag rules, pitstops in single player, long races..... it has the potential to be the best racing sim ever but it seems to be aimed more at the Forza / Gran Tourismo / Project Cars market, which is a bit disappointing. Still a fun driving experience in my opinion.

They never made it a secret that they wanted to develop an easy pick and race sim. If you look at it from that pov, it does a tremendous job at it. From a pure simulation looking, it lacks yes. But it is not what they aimed for, and it has been so since the beginning. rFactor 2 is still and will be (until the "Senna" game will be released) unrivaled.
However, since 1.1 they are doing many improvements which are enrichening the game and the experience in my opinion.
Still Assetto Corsa is Assetto Corsa, with it's pros and cons.

Edited by leon_90, Oct 11 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#283 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 03:22 PM

I lost interest in it. It seems aimed at the hot lapper more than the racer.

#284 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Oct 11 2015 - 03:46 PM

View Postleon_90, on Oct 11 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

They never made it a secret that they wanted to develop an easy pick and race sim. If you look at it from that pov, it does a tremendous job at it. From a pure simulation looking, it lacks yes. But it is not what they aimed for, and it has been so since the beginning. rFactor 2 is still and will be (until the "Senna" game will be released) unrivaled.
However, since 1.1 they are doing many improvements which are enrichening the game and the experience in my opinion.
Still Assetto Corsa is Assetto Corsa, with it's pros and cons.

Yup, it's delivered (most of) what they promised and more, it's just a bit frustrating that it could take that extra step and be a great hardcore sim too. It's an odd mix of beautiful licensed cars, accurate laserscanned tracks and seriously lacking race options - both online and against the AI.

View PostPete Gaimari, on Oct 11 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

I lost interest in it. It seems aimed at the hot lapper more than the racer.

I know what you mean, racing the AI in GPL is so much more satisfying. Hopefully one day they'll get it sorted, it was ambitious having the AI drive the cars using the same physics and steering / pedal inputs as a human driver.

Maybe give it another try when the Lotus 49 is on the new tyre model :shrug:

#285 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Oct 14 2015 - 12:57 PM

View Postleon_90, on Oct 11 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

It is the MKI however, if I am not mistaken.....

You're right, it is the MK I :)

Must admit I've been having a huge amount of fun with AC these past couple of days, the new tyre physics are stunning. Adding in improved FFB, enabling gyro effect on the wheels and getting rid of all canned effects and the improved tyre squeal algorithms and it's hard to imagine a more fun and yet realistic game. Some of the cars I didn't much care for have come alive and are now a lot of fun.

I've even had some really good races against the AI, they're a little timid sometimes and give the player too much racing room but the developers are working on that, and will probably add more character to each driver and have them slide around a little more realistically. I reckon if they're successful it could turn out to be a very good AI indeed, they're already better than I thought.

Interesting times for sim racers! :woohoo2:

Edited by Fat Rich, Oct 14 2015 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links