• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Nov 04 2018 - 12:57 PM

"...just floor the throttle once to set the telltale."

:D

Indeed, yes, yet another winner from the talented pen of Lee Bowden.  As mentioned above, I praise this patch as it now works across the board with assorted mods AND frees up use of the Pit Stop Patch to be employed alongside it for refueling.

On the subject of telltales, ever hear the story of Innes Ireland and the magnet?  Priceless!  :)

#32 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,055 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 04 2018 - 02:21 PM

I heard that Chapman ... had a lot of brass.  ;)

#33 MK3424

MK3424

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Gaming

Posted Nov 05 2018 - 07:30 AM

Neat mod! But for some reason.. it doesn't work in multiplayer...

#34 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Nov 05 2018 - 10:29 AM

Does it work offline?

#35 MK3424

MK3424

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostLee200, on Nov 05 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Does it work offline?

Yes, without a hitch! I love it, kinda makes me having to anticipate when to shift because of the tachometer being behind.

#36 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,055 posts

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 05:21 PM

I just tested the 65Mod both offline and then online.  This was connecting with iGOR to a server.  Offline the impulse tach works as advertised.  Online the tach works like a standard mechanical linkage.  :(

#37 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Nov 06 2018 - 05:44 PM

Well that's weird.  :)

#38 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 08:57 AM

I may have been wrong about the type of tachometers that were used on some F1 and sports cars in the '60s.  From my initial research, mechanical tachometers were relatively smooth, but electronic impulse type tachometers were jerky.  As we know, tachometers of that era were jerky as seen in previous videos.

Further research reveals that at least some racing cars in the '50s and through the '60s used the chronometric mechanical type tachometer which was jerky too.  This type of tach was invented by Jaeger in France then brought to England by Smiths.  VDO also used this type of tach as seen in this video of the Porsche 908 and 917:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

The chronometric type tach was essentially a clock that timed the number of revolutions of a mehanical cable that was connected between the engine and the tach.  It really was a clever device.  Here is a video that shows its internal movement.  While the video shows a speedometer, a chronometric speedometer and tachometer were basically the same:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Here are some links to more information about how the chronometric speedometer and tachometer work:

http://archives.jamp...tric_Speedo.pdf

http://www.hells-con...c mechanism.pdf

The first link indicates that the tachometer updates every 3/4 of a second.  My tachometer patch updates every .6 seconds which is probably close enough.

Edited by Lee200, Nov 07 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#39 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 09:55 AM

On an academic note : these tachs. updated a lot faster than every 5 or 6 secs.  An actual update every 0.5 or 0.6 seconds has been achieved, according to my stopwatch. :rockon:

#40 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 11:43 AM

Uh, Maddog we know that.  Where did you see 5 to 6 seconds?

#41 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:19 PM

When working offline, does it only work for the player car or do the AI also show the same intended jerky tachometer effect?

I have a slight vague memory from way back from when Amir Kamal was working on the updated Pribluda version he made that some of the memory addresses are different for online and offline for the display of some of the car parameters and I wonder if you need to intercept some different addresses when the game is running in "online mode"?

My instinct would be that for offline all will be well, including AI, since I think that also was fine for Amir with the first version of Pribluda he made, but that for online the 20 cars involved get their "numbers" written to a different memory table and that needed some other logic to get added to figure out when that was required.

Rob

#42 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,055 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:34 PM

The new electronic impulse type tachometer Patch only works for the Player car.

#43 MK3424

MK3424

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:44 PM

Okay, i've made a short cinematic trailer of this mod, for those who wonder how it looks like ingame:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2XfQJHWRdO8

#44 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Nov 07 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

The new electronic impulse type tachometer Patch only works for the Player car.

Thanks Greg.

In which case I would reckon it is down to memory addresses then since online the stuff about "your" car is not in the same place it would be when offline unless you happen to be the server.

EDIT: OOOooo, actually how does the speedometer patch work? That also intercepts a number and displays it to a cockpit gauge and I assume also has these different locations for online and offline car data too? I am pretty sure that one does work in all cases, so is there a similar trick or fix that could get used here too?

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Nov 07 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#45 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Nov 07 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

When working offline, does it only work for the player car or do the AI also show the same intended jerky tachometer effect?

I have a slight vague memory from way back from when Amir Kamal was working on the updated Pribluda version he made that some of the memory addresses are different for online and offline for the display of some of the car parameters and I wonder if you need to intercept some different addresses when the game is running in "online mode"?

My instinct would be that for offline all will be well, including AI, since I think that also was fine for Amir with the first version of Pribluda he made, but that for online the 20 cars involved get their "numbers" written to a different memory table and that needed some other logic to get added to figure out when that was required.

Rob

Well GPL is always mysterious.  I've no idea at this point why the new tach code doesn't work for the online player.  I don't believe it's a memory location issue; rather I think the code section for displaying the tach needle is different for online versus offline.  It's the same issue for the AI.

I am sure that Pribluda isn't the issue as I don't use that.

EDIT:

Rob, the speedometer patch works entirely differently.  In this case there are known memory locations that work for the player and AI.  These locations contain the car speed along the x, y, and z axes.  (You'd think that GPL would have a simple, forward speed memory location, but I've never found one.)  The speedometer patch computes the car's forward speed based on these individual speeds.

Edited by Lee200, Nov 07 2018 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links