- - - - -

Grand Prix Legends 15 Years Old This Month ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 18 2013 - 10:38 PM

I was wondering when GPL was released in 1998? This link shows the US release date of
Sept. 27th 1998 :think:

http://pc.gamespy.co...d-prix-legends/

I dabbled with the demo back in 2006, then in June 2011 received the CD of the game, so I'm
really a newbie compared to most of you here. When did you begin driving this great sim ? :D

Edited by davef, Sep 18 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#2 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Sep 18 2013 - 11:13 PM

Somewhere in 1999 :)

#3 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 12:22 AM

The year Targa Florio was released, that would be 2009.
In the Netherlands we say "I fell with my nose into the butter", which means I was very lucky!!

Greetings, Marcel

#4 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 01:24 AM

GPL was rushed to market for the '98 Christmas season, it was in stores in September.  To see how rushed, somewhere in these forums you can d/l the "pre-alpha" version, dated April '98 - a couple of cars, a few tracks with little or no TSOs, 4-speed gearboxes.  Left out in the rush was variable weather, a career mode (you would start in F3 and must display a certain level of performance to "unlock" F2, etc.), and the trainers were never finished (they were developed enough to be included "as is").

(This pre-alpha is from my archives ...that's how long I've been playing ...I wish my performance was indicative of all these years.)

#5 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 03:35 AM

Review site Gamespot that was up and running during that time notes October 31, 1998 as the release date. Metacritic and GameFAQs have the same US release date. SImRacingWorld.com has November 1, 1998 as the release date.

Some of the reviews from that date:
Game Revolution: "Grand Prix Legends is truly Revolutionary"
Gamespot (Review score 8.9 GREAT): "Grand Prix Legends will reward you with arguably the most intense racing experience ever seen on a personal computer"
GameFAQs (Review Score 10/10): "The feeling, The realism.. WOW"
Computergames.org (Review Score 9/10): "Unbeatable so far and Recommended"

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 03:50 AM

I remember seeing a news clip in PC Gamer magazine sometime in early 1998 (EDIT: Must have been even earlier than that, as I've just dusted off my old mags collection and can't find it!) announcing that Papyrus were working on GPL, and my mouth was watering from that day to release date. The single-car Monza demo was released around Sept-Oct time in the UK, and when I did a 180 spin just accelerating out of the pits, I knew that GPL would be a "real" sim, and not one of the computerised Scalextric sets which were around at the time. I knew that Papyrus had superseded Geoff Crammond and his "Grand Prix" series. I got my release copy of the game in November 1998, and I haven't stopped playing it since. And since I discovered RaceSim Central/SRMZ/GPLRank in 2004, it made the sim even better.

Edited by Saiph, Sep 19 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#7 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 05:55 AM

Late 1999 :)

#8 Lalethor

Lalethor

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 268 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 07:42 AM

I buyed my first cd of GPL in november/december 1998, and for that event I also bought my first pc   :up:

#9 MrDarkSide

MrDarkSide

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 10:36 AM

January 2013.
However, I first read about GPL sometime in the early 2000's, a motor sport or game magazine described it as an "amazing experience, to drive with Jim Clark and Graham Hill" or something like that. I talked to my dad about getting it and was really excited about it. However, nothing became of it (I think my dad forgot about it) and soon the memory of that picture of the Lotus 49 from GPL began to fade as well. And so, the years went quietly by. But then, in late December 2012, on my YouTube channel I saw the words "Grand Prix Legends", it was GPLaps' videos. A flashback occured, I remembered how much I had wanted that game as a child and was enthralled by the beauty of these racing machines of the 1960's. Within minutes, I was searching the web for this gem and found it, for 30 SEK (that is about $4). Best 30 SEK I ever spent in my entire life.

Anyway... :blahblah:
:beatdeadhorse:

The animal (a horse?) is me, the man is the world trying to beat the memory of that GPL review back into my mind.

Edited by MrDarkSide, Sep 19 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,319 posts

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 12:14 PM

I had some knee surgery in Nov 2000 and as a treat to myself, I got my first home computer.  It was mostly because I wanted to do a car racing simulation.  I was sure there was something out there fairly realistic and when I got GPL off of eBay in December along with a steering wheel and pedals, I was not disappointed.

At the time I felt that I was way behind the veterans who had started a year or two earlier and I was amazed at how much configuration file fiddling was necessary to get GPL running well, after my short experience with Ninetendo gaming boxes.  I kept seeing the same questions coming up over and over and over about how to fix GPL problems and I put together an FAQ so that veterans wouldn’t get so pissed off at the same questions coming up.

#11 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 12:20 PM

davef, on Sep 18 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

When did you begin driving this great sim ? :D

I got it in early 1999. I drove it a few times and quickly got frustrated and set it aside and forgot about it. In 2011 I reinstalled Viper Racing and it reminded me I had GPL so I gave it another try. It's the only computer driving I've done since.

#12 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 12:38 PM

I bought it in november 1998 before my first computer which cam for Xmas, 15 years of passion and many more to come :)

The advertisement I saw in a magazine in october 1998 and my original box (it's still standing on my desk, the advert is hanging under glass) :

Attached Files

Edited by Remy, Sep 19 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sometime around Bob's time. I remember we were both rookies in a league together.

#14 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 04:01 PM

Check  the properties in the dat :   :fireworks1:

Friday, ‎September ‎04, ‎1998, ‏‎9:52:02 AM

Belated best old girl.

Bob

Edited by Royal, Sep 19 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#15 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 04:19 PM

+1  :oops: :cake: :bowing:

Edited by davef, Sep 19 2013 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links