Building A Gpl 2016 Demo
Posted Sep 08 2018 - 04:34 AM
Q: How do you know those steps work with demo? A: been built up fresh GPL installation for years on demo version alone.
Q: Difference between CD full version and demo? A: only 10 tracks and game video are missing, some version with monza some with watkins, this guide 100% works on CD version too.
1. Get 1998 original Papyrus demo, install it somewhere.
(Q: Why 1998 original demo? A: To ensure that demo is as clean as possible to receive new updates of recent years without any conflict or unwanted/outdated files)
2. Download GPL_v220.127.116.11(US)all-in-one_2.3_patch.exe from ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=2621 ), install it, when asked GPL location, point it to your demo folder. (don't restart computer when the installer asked, also this patch comes with already updated gpl.exe, so it shouldn't matter which demo version you have got.)
3. Download Nigel's New Rasterizers from ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3727 ), unzip it, run gplrast_v2.5.exe and install it to your demo folder.
4. Go to your demo folder and find app.ini and open it with notepad, change rd3d7v2.dll to roglv2.dll and save.
(Q: Why use opengl over d3d7 for default? A: d3d7 is more likely to cause problem than opengl from my experience, such as bad frame rate or game crash etc.)
5. This step must be done to proceed further. Go to your demo folder and run gpl.exe, then create a new driver name, calibrate and assign contol, then exit game.
(Important note: Never ever delete players folder in your GPL demo folder, or else the next time you run GPL you will be forever stuck on the driver creation screen with Unable to save player information error.)
6. If you never installed GEM+ (otherwise skip this step, but make sure you have latest version 18.104.22.168 installed), download GEM+ from ( https://gem.autosims.../downloads.html ), install it (preferably to a non-system folder).
(Important note: if you have Windows Locale set on Asia language such as Chinese/Japanese, make sure to switch it to English, or your GEM+ will hang/crash/bug, details see here http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12448 , this is most common for people using Asia language version of Windows, or people who requires Asia Locale setting to run daily application.)
7. Download GPL__67_PATCH.zip from ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4875 ), unzip it, run 1967_PATCH_v1.3_Setup.exe, point GPL location to your demo folder.
8. Start GEM+, click Installs button at top-left, click Add, find your demo folder and select gpl.exe, click OK. Then select gpl.exe path from dropdown list beside Installs button. Last, hit Green Flag button (or Red Flag) to create gplc67.exe
And now, we have a GPL demo with latest patches (v22.214.171.124 for gpl.exe, 67 patch v1.3 for gplc67.exe), they can be run as standalone without GEM+. All cars/tracks/sounds are untouched (original flavor ). Next step will be adding extra mods and patches depends on preference.
Some notable patches and mods, like others mentioned, are:
lee's No Letterbox Patch ( http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11015 ), Tire Pressure Bug Fix, and other lee's great patches.
GPLshift V0.7.9.0 ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5949 )
Pribluda Version 126.96.36.199 ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5835 )
4Gb Patch ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9957 )
All GPLEA's 67 car updates and various texture mods from others.
'67 Complete Soundset ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8325 )
1967 Historical Gloves Set ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9767 )
GPL-67 Historical Mod ( http://srmz.net/inde...p?showforum=186 )
Original Papyrus track updates:
Monza Dat Addon ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=2803 )
Watkins Glen In Fall ( http://srmz.net/inde...p?showtopic=573 )
And some of the great recent tracks like SPA67.
All those patches and mods, once patched and activated mod in GEM+, can be run via generated corresponding exe as standalone without GEM+. Just zip it and it's ready for distribution!
Also about community track selection, I think it will be good to provide them as an extra trackpack, just pack tracks in a zip with season.ini. To install, just unzip and override into demo folder.
Let me know if there's any error in the guide, thanks.
Edited by SV3000, Sep 08 2018 - 04:48 AM.
Posted Sep 09 2018 - 03:00 PM
Posted Sep 09 2018 - 06:38 PM
All the other functions and extra features may be provided as addons (with premissions and documents), either through complicated and scripted All-in-one installer (which is a lot work and concerns). Or just ZIP those pre-installed files as separated addons, and let end-user unzip/override to game folder, which is simple and easy to make and maintain, and if there's any problem (like premission issue ) just replace or remove. Even GEM+ patches/mods can be pre-generated as "exe" and zip-saved for later quick swap, end-user isn't required to install/know GEM+ at all.
Too many choices/options is unnecessary, and people have different preference (some well-formatted basic helping documents/checklist is better, which already exist). In the end new players will learn how to install GEM+/MODS/TRACKS on their own, no need to overthink.
I can't resist to add, and sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, since Michkov's detailed checklist on page 8 is looking good enough as a guideline (thanks to Michkov and Stefan and others who still trying to push this forward with their limited time), and there were already many constructive thoughts, but nothing progressed in the past 2 years (I'm pretty sure there are more than enough experienced players here who can handle the task), is it because lack of approval from community (if so then please make a poll or something to move this forward), or legal issues (if so then please someone make a statement and we stop here right now), or simply because not many care..........
Edited by SV3000, Sep 09 2018 - 07:26 PM.
Posted Sep 10 2018 - 04:58 AM
Posted Sep 10 2018 - 07:53 AM
SV3000, post #137 is too valuable to eventually be lost in this thread.
Perhaps open a new well-tagged thread on the need help forum?
Why not start with the 2004 Demo?
BTW, Anyone, can a demo version be used as an iGOR/VROC race server?
Edited by John Woods, Sep 10 2018 - 08:02 AM.
Posted Sep 10 2018 - 10:23 AM
Also no worry about my guide post, its just a rephrase of the old way of installing GPL back in days, which somewhere in the forum must already have similar guides.
Edited by SV3000, Sep 10 2018 - 10:29 AM.
Posted Sep 10 2018 - 04:41 PM
That is also the main hangup from my side, since I havn't really updated the cars for the past 10 years. I'm happy with the GPLEA cars. I got no answers when I posed the question in the thread earlier. Since the idea was to show off GPL graphic updates are must from where I stand. Good thing is changing the graphics is easy if they already exist. So I'm going to see if I can get a reliable installer based on your laid out plan, and the rest of you deliberate on the best gfx set for the seven original cars Watkins Glen and Monza, sound like a plan?
Posted Sep 10 2018 - 06:49 PM
But I'm not representative here, better having a poll voting, or find a representative to decide where to go and proceed the plan (and sorting out permissions).
Edit: the plan is good enough for me: GPLEA cars + track updates for watkins and monza + 67 Complete Soundset maybe + new rasterisers & 1.3 patch & some essential patches + documents and permissions.
Edit2: since 1.3 patch and other GEM+ patches involve modifying exe and redistribution, not sure if it's legal or not , if not, then we have to give up those extra patches and put in a simple guide on how to install GEM+ and patches (if the player decides to try new tracks/mods that requires 1.3)
Edit3: if 1.3 patch can't make into new demo, then maybe better just stick with 2004 demo, but do some minor updates & fix (graphics, sound), including new rasterisers (important), revise old documents (remove outdated information) and add a quickstart guide. This however is probably the easiest solution.
Sidenote: MD5 check of gpl.exe from 2004 demo is different compare to the ones found in GPL_v188.8.131.52(US)all-in-one_2.3_patch or GPL_v184.108.40.206(UK)all-in-one_2.3_patch (they are all version 220.127.116.11), not sure if it is necessary to replace it if we decide to use 2004 as base.
B63573B8EA3658F2D5064D81028913B0 | gpl.exe (2004 demo)
35E70B46719E9259619B613A95EA099F | gpl.exe (GPL_v18.104.22.168(US)all-in-one_2.3_patch)
6377EAAA7F2F1397EC2152B72C7445A8 | gpl.exe (GPL_v22.214.171.124(UK)all-in-one_2.3_patch)
Edited by SV3000, Sep 11 2018 - 04:19 AM.
Posted Oct 08 2018 - 07:39 AM
Please read or re-read the Modder's Manifesto, somewhere here...
Not a criticism...trying rather to be encouraging.
If everyone had in the past waited on consensus we would have half of one unfinished track in the add-on database.
Well maybe two and half but no database.
How about a full spectrum YT Grand Prix Legends 2018 Demo Video featuring all Mods, all capabilities, and all resources? A Demo movie could take the whole scope of GPL load off the Demo.
Then a dedicated as discussed here 2018/19 Demo, (enhanced 2004), and a download site featuring links to select add-ons?
That could be a nice belated birthday present.
Edited by John Woods, Oct 08 2018 - 08:02 AM.
Posted Oct 09 2018 - 05:11 AM
The reason I mentioned "representative" stuff was because GPL community has far greater amount of very experienced and capable modders (all the great works modders made in the past 20 yrs) who can definitely make this demo dream come true (and perfectly with years of experience), but still this demo thing hasn't progressed at all. So all I can think of is the few reasons (don't mean to against anyone):
No one cares, or have the time;
Everyone is waiting for the big guy to do it;
Afraid of legal issue if there's any;
The long-troubled-historic modding permission controversial that made most people not willing to deal with;
Secret project has already been undergoing (best wish).
PS: Really do hope new demo could be made possible. Recently I made a full length GPL installation and configuration guide for the Chinese community, and there are people interested in, even though only a few, also did bring out a few silent die-hard GPL fans .
Also if anyone interested, this is my Chinese GPL guide: http://bbs.srfc.com....read&tid=182128
Edited by SV3000, Oct 09 2018 - 05:38 AM.
Posted Oct 11 2018 - 03:17 AM
1. The new demo is definitely gonna need car updates, and since most car updates are built upon GPLEA's base, so it inevitably requires permission from GPLEA (consider so many years have passed, don't know how hard is it to do this, I'm not optimistic on this one.)
2. Same reason as above, if new demo is based on 2004 DEMO, a full permission from GPLEA is maybe needed.
3. (speculation) Since manipulating original game files is considered not legal, it's gonna be quite impossible to integrate 67 patch 1.3 and other essential patches that greatly enhanced GPL experience, UNLESS somehow someone developed a patching program to do the same thing as GEM+ does. Otherwise "extract and play" user friendly demo is impossible, too much to give up.
4. If somehow all the above are not issues (maybe no one owning GPL rights any more and no one cares about copyright), then all we need is a list of things (yes this was discussed and repeated many times already in this thread) required and to be done to make the demo happen, as simple as that. And this would require community input, especially from experienced players and modders. So if anyone interested in a new demo, or willing to help get more new players into GPL, please don't remain silence, and say something (people like to share things they love, that's why this game is still alive, right?).
Not much left to say. If this thread still managed to sink Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas, then it just further proved my point in the previous post (prove me wrong ).
Edited by SV3000, Oct 11 2018 - 03:18 AM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users