#1 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 07:56 PM

If some of the Track Builders are working on Warwick Farm, I think it will be a great help. If not, it is a good entertainment anyway.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XMVa38yQoDU

#2 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 04:39 AM

Good old Longers was making it.

Hasn't been any info on it lately AFAIK.

Good things often take time to mature properly!

It was a terrific track to watch open wheeler s and touring cars. I can remember watching Bartlett, Geoghegan Leo and Pete, Beechey, Matich, Manton, Foley etc scrapping around there in everything from 1310cc minis Lotus Cortinas, Chevy Novas and Mustangs to Formula 5000's. Sadly no more.

I did an advanced driving course there once with John Leffler and Peter Wherret. Blasting down the back straight, into Creek Corner and through the Esses, what a hoot that was!

Edited by Jim Pearson, Feb 23 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#3 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 10:29 AM

Yeah, the Tasman Series was a must in those good old days. I never understood why Bruce McLaren did race for BRM in 1968 if he already had his McLaren team. And actually he won at Teretonga.(sadly missed in GPL)

#4 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 11:23 AM

Was there ever anyone making Longford for GPL?  I remember this track being brought up from time to time, but I don't recall if anyone had actually started the project.

#5 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 11:34 AM

View Postchris skepis, on Feb 23 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Yeah, the Tasman Series was a must in those good old days. I never understood why Bruce McLaren did race for BRM in 1968 if he already had his McLaren team. And actually he won at Teretonga.(sadly missed in GPL)

On a seemingly unrelated subject, here's a picture of a triple screen setup  (since no one looked closely and got the hint last time I posted it ;) )

Posted Image

It's been given a preliminary check over by Ginetto who fixed a number of issues and gave me some invaluable trackbuilding information. There's still lots to do, plus I'm waiting for some info from one of the original Tasman trackbuilding team members that might throw new light on some areas of the track. This often seems to result in a redesign so don't expect anything anytime soon.

Edited by Fat Rich, Feb 23 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#6 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 05:16 PM

Rich,

Looking forward to your work, :woohoo2: thank you ! :up:

#7 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Feb 23 2015 - 05:19 PM

Well.....after seeing that photo above, I think I´ll throw my PC out the window and next I´ll throw myself out the window. Fat Rich enjoys life.....we don´t.

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 04:30 AM

@Fat Rich: Nice triple screen setup :)

View Postdbell84, on Feb 23 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Was there ever anyone making Longford for GPL?  I remember this track being brought up from time to time, but I don't recall if anyone had actually started the project.

Yes, we have a beta of Longford for GPL (including the build files).
It is of the gold old RCS days of the Tasman Team that has worked on the track.
As far as we know the Longford GPL version was used as a basis for the rFactor and other ISI versions of the track.

There is still a lot to do for the Longford GPL version.
Atm there is no one working on it as the track builder team is very small.
I hope someone will pick it up some day.

Some screens of Longford GPL (beta), as you can see there would be a lot of work to do.
Sry for going off topic.

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 24 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#9 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 06:33 AM

Stefan,

I for one would be more than happy to just have the beta version to play with for the moment, than hope one day to have the full track, which may never get finished. I understand totally why there were no beta releases of Spa67, but could an exception be made for Longford and Warwick Farm if there is no immediate prospect of anyone working on them?

#10 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 07:47 AM

If a beta is released it then would be difficult to release a finished version if it proved necessary in order to complete the track to change the trk file for the track such that it made the track slower, (since a faster but possibly still compatible version would always still be "out there"). At that point you then end up making another different release under another name, possibly with other changes being required to also prevent backward compatibility from the widely leaked beta.

If you are certain that all that remains is to make only graphical changes and that no further work will be done to alter the released trk file, i.e. that file is locked down and will not get touched again, then a public beta is fine as what you actually drive on will not change. If on the other hand to fix the significant cosmetic and clipping problems with the track, plus in this case to correct a couple of wrong placed traces and to reprofile a couple of the jumps to better match with reality then it would be better for that to happen before anything is widely circulated, i.e. that the trk is brought to its finally final state. If you intend the track to remain permanently in the state that it currently is, with no hope or incentive of getting completed properly as per the intentions of the previous team when the files were passed on privately to the Tasman Team then release what you have.

Rob

#11 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 08:37 AM

I had a vague plan to do the Tasman tracks in the following order:

Teretonga '67 onwards
Teretonga '64 to '66
Pukekohe (both versions)
Warwick Farm
Longford
(plus maybe the Sudschleife if still not finished)

If Longford is at a fairly advanced state I might be interested in doing that one next if you don't mind sharing the files. However the Teretonga versions are taking way more time than I was expecting, and Longford is a much longer and more complicated track, not to mention the Viaduct clipping problems which are unlikely to be solved by a halfwit like me :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Feb 24 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#12 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Stefan for the clarification on Longford.  That's a bit of a twist, a GPL track that was converted and released for rFactor, but never made it to release for GPL.  Obviously, a lot of new graphical work was done for the rFactor release as it is quite a terrific track in rFactor.

@Fat Rich:  Good looking Screenie you posted.  I look forward to your driving your track.  That's Teretonga in your screen shot?

Edited by dbell84, Feb 24 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#13 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 09:03 AM

Yup, that's Teretonga. It's taken forever to get the track this far as there seems to be very little info out there, I've trawled through all sorts of stuff trying to find out what it looked like.

It looks a flat and ordinary track on paper but I was very pleasantly surprised how nice it is to drive, even the very first version without any altitudes. It's got a really good flow to it and the 64 to 66 version has a tricky last corner leading onto the long start / finish straight (sadly it's gone in the 67 version). Also Timing Tower Corner (now called Castrol Corner) has a fairly awkward curved entry a bit like a smaller version of turn 1 at Mexico. A nice little track.

I did a quick version of Pukekohe expecting that to be fun too, somehow it seems a bit ordinary. Maybe with some more work it'll turn out nice but I'll focus on Teretonga for now.

Edited by Fat Rich, Feb 24 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#14 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 09:49 AM

@dbell84: NP. I think one of the former team members of the GPL Longford version moved on to rFactor. But I really don`t know much about that.
Anyway they had to invest a lot of work to get the track to rFactor standard.

View PostFat Rich, on Feb 24 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

If Longford is at a fairly advanced state I might be interested in doing that one next if you don't mind sharing the files.

Of course we would share the files! Rob (Border Reiver) said he will support you with help as much as he can. Afaik you are also in contact with Ginetto giving you support.
Great that you work on Teretonga and might pick up other tracks after that.

So something to look forward, even if it should be in some years. :)

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 01 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#15 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Feb 24 2015 - 11:47 AM

Rob is correct.. certain things can only be released when the fundamentals don't need to be changed later. Car graphics for example can be updated at any time, but physics not so. Same for tracks and the base files vs. regular texture updates.

This thread gives me hope.. Rob and the Tasman team (and those who started the tracks originally, e.g. Longers, who I can remember telling me about Lobethal) have done all they can so far. Surfer's Paradise recently was a great track release. Add in FatRich, who has started on the lone remaining track (Teretonga?) not yet in beta, and combine efforts, this helps all the tracks get done.. then comes physics for the carset.. and finally a full mod :shhh:.

That alone is many years' work, never mind in GPL time; however, to see light appearing over the horizon, makes me confident it's a destination (sunrise!) that can someday be reached :).

Edited by Iestyn16, Feb 24 2015 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links