• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 19 2019 - 03:46 PM

masterpiece ~   i feel sorry/sad for all those GPL'ers that left the sim..
thanks Mr. Pearson!

#142 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,550 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jun 19 2019 - 06:09 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Jun 19 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

masterpiece ~   i feel sorry/sad for all those GPL'ers that left the sim..
thanks Mr. Pearson!

share your feeling,Bruce

#143 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Jun 21 2019 - 04:07 AM

CTD in pit stall when loading the track

I started getting a CTD when pressing the green button to "jump into the car" (so track has loaded repay window playing ok).  Screen goes black and briefly hear the pit sounds, then CTD.  No in cockpit view.  Happens every time (this is with 1967 F1 cars).

After trying lots of options (see below for details), loading the track with a different start position worked.  Similar (but a bit different) problem to Liggy64 in post #87 http://srmz.net/inde...#entry140311    I tried both the original and v1.1 pit stall positions, getting the same CTD.

What I think is happening is that in the time it takes to jump into the car, my car has rolled into the wall somehow causing the CTD.

SOLUTION -- Put your foot on the brake when you press the green button to stop you car rolling before cockpit view is loaded.  So no problem, nothing needs fixing, just reporting it in case anybody else has similar problems.

Not quite sure why this started happening.  I installed v1 of the track and everything seemed fine.  Then I have had a disk crash, which resulted in having to do a Windows reset/re-install (didn't affect my GPL set up fortunately).  So took me a while to try IOM v 1.1.  As part of recovering my PC I installed the IOM v1.1 update.  Then got a CTD every time.  I tried a full fresh v1.1 install, same CTD.  Went back to a saved v1 folder, same CTD (so now, as far as I can tell, nothing has changed with my GPL install).  Tried removing all options with Options manager, no change.

Then tried different track start position and that pointed to the problem.  Starting in the pit stall.  But I was getting the CTD with both the v1 and v1.1 pit stall positions.

So still a bit confused as why it went from always loading to always CTD (unless I use the brake pedal).  The only thing I can think of, from the Windows 10 reset that could affect GPL, is that I have re-installed steering wheel drivers.

Thanks again to Jim. The track is a masterpiece.  Completely overawed with what you have achieved here.

Edited by webfoot, Jun 21 2019 - 04:26 AM.

#144 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,967 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 21 2019 - 05:18 AM

View Postwebfoot, on Jun 21 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

What I think is happening is that in the time it takes to jump into the car, my car has rolled into the wall somehow causing the CTD.

SOLUTION -- Put your foot on the brake when you press the green button to stop you car rolling before cockpit view is loaded.  So no problem, nothing needs fixing, just reporting it in case anybody else has similar problems.

Not quite sure why this started happening.
So still a bit confused as why it went from always loading to always CTD (unless I use the brake pedal).  The only thing I can think of, from the Windows 10 reset that could affect GPL, is that I have re-installed steering wheel drivers.

It's interesting that you've found this problem but then also solved it by using the brake pedal - a good find.

I remember reading somewhere that when you go to the track, GPL normally applies a kind of 'parking brake' to your car. This would be useful at Spa for example, where the pits are on a hill. However, if the driver even slightly touches the brakes or throttle, this cancels the parking brake, and the car can begin to move.

You say you reinstalled the drivers for your controller - did you calibrate the pedals properly in GPL after you reinstalled? What could be happening is that the brake/accelerator axis may not be 'centred' exactly, so when you enter the track, GPL thinks you're pressing the brake or accelerator and cancels the 'parking brake'. This then allows the car to roll, and causes the CTD.

Try re-calibrating your pedals. Also, if your software allows it, try setting up a small 'dead zone' in the middle of the brake/accelerator axis. This may prevent GPL from thinking that you're touching the controls when you go to the track, and it should keep the 'parking brake' on.

I hope that helps. Good luck! :crossfingers:

#145 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 21 2019 - 07:43 AM

The Pits has a gradient of 2.3 degrees down, so your car will roll forward there without any brakes, GPL Park or otherwise.

Just so you know, there is another issue that MIGHT be relevant.to cars wandering just a little bit in the Pits.

There may be a slight issue generally, or just on some systems, with accurately plotting the position of moving and stationary cars. In TRAINING MODE, Pit Stall_0 is close to a wall which then creates a potential problem. For any other Start Position that is not in the Pits, when using the Options Manager, your car will not be placed near a wall.

In GPL and at least some other sims where I have seen this discussed, the further cars are away from World Center, the more trouble the game engine has plotting the position of moving objects [ cars ] in real time at 36 /60 FPS. Nothing to do with the size of the horizon, its the driving surface.

In other words, rounding errors in calculations mess things up as these 3d X,Y  [ North / South - East / West] and Z [ up / down ] co-ordinates plotting distances increase. Not a problem with short tracks; a real issue with biggies! Nigel Pattinson determined the cause of this effect after we both noticed the cars jumping about at some locations, but not others when I was making test tracks for his Long Tracks code enhancements all those years ago.

Because of this effect I started making this track with the World Center near the Bungalow, not the S/F line. The Pits are 1000m X axis and 9000m Y axis removed from the Bungalow, close to the maximum distance of any point on this track to World Centre.. If I had placed World Center at the S/F line close to the Pits, your car would shake quite a bit, with random lateral movements, increasingly from about Kirk Michael all the way to about Ramsey then diminishing and returning to normal stable behavior around Mountain Box to the end of a lap.

Even with World Center optimized for this track in GPL, there can be some slight "shimmy" with cars at the actual extremities of this "World", like at The Pits, Ballacraine, Rhencullen and Ramsey. I.E. these are the locations with the biggest X,Y, distances from World Center, as constructed.

I believe Targa is probably also made this way and although it is longer, at 74km than IOM MC, at 61km, because it twists and turns back on itself so much, its overall "footprint" or World Size would be similar, possibly smaller.

If there is a continuing problem with this CTD in Practice / Qualifying mode, where you can be placed in any Pit stall, not just Pit Stall_0  [ which is always used for the TRAINING MODE Pit Stall ], then one simple solution may be to move all the left hand side Pit stalls closer to the center of the pit lane; i.e further still from the left Pit Wall.. At present I have these staggered with different lateral positions, to replicate real life where cars in Pits never line up perfectly, but you could try 16.0 meters for all the left side pit stalls [ every second entry ] by editing your Track.ini in your AAIOM Folder.

Cant move them a lot, or the AI wont be able to exit the Pits

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 21 2019 - 07:45 AM.

#146 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Jun 21 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostSaiph, on Jun 21 2019 - 05:18 AM, said:

Try re-calibrating your pedals. Also, if your software allows it, try setting up a small 'dead zone' in the middle of the brake/accelerator axis. This may prevent GPL from thinking that you're touching the controls when you go to the track, and it should keep the 'parking brake' on.

Thanks Saiph.  Good shout, haven't done that during the pain of re-installing everything back into Windows.

View PostJim Pearson, on Jun 21 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

The Pits has a gradient of 2.3 degrees down, so your car will roll forward there without any brakes, GPL Park or otherwise.

Just so you know, there is another issue that MIGHT be relevant.to cars wandering just a little bit in the Pits.

There may be a slight issue generally, or just on some systems, with accurately plotting the position of moving and stationary cars. In TRAINING MODE, Pit Stall_0 is close to a wall which then creates a potential problem. For any other Start Position that is not in the Pits, when using the Options Manager, your car will not be placed near a wall........

Jim.  Interesting background technical info.  Nice to understand possible reasons and  potential work a rounds.

#147 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Jun 22 2019 - 10:37 AM

I noticed my car having some odd left/right lateral movement while sitting in the pitstall before I got moving, but I thought it was just GPL's dodgy tyre code. The car does seem to 'shudder' somewhat past the middle of the lap too but I thought this was maybe the bump map of the track surface.

Anyway, it doesn't "affect" the enjoyment of this at all. I've even had a few CTDs while crashing the car, but rather than complaining, I'll simply try not to crash my car since it only happened when I started bouncing off walls at 170mph+.

One thing that does interest me though...Did you leave us any Easter Eggs?  :bgrin:

#148 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 22 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostPTRACER, on Jun 22 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

I noticed my car having some odd left/right lateral movement while sitting in the pitstall before I got moving, but I thought it was just GPL's dodgy tyre code. The car does seem to 'shudder' somewhat past the middle of the lap too but I thought this was maybe the bump map of the track surface.

Anyway, it doesn't "affect" the enjoyment of this at all. I've even had a few CTDs while crashing the car, but rather than complaining, I'll simply try not to crash my car since it only happened when I started bouncing off walls at 170mph+.

One thing that does interest me though...Did you leave us any Easter Eggs?  :bgrin:

NO, only Lee and Ken are in the track, plus that nosey little Cessna that pops up at the Cronk MMile Windy etc, plus some birds at a few places that are sometimes best seen in TV cams, and the Wind Sock at Mountain Box..So just mainly anims.

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 22 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#149 Jack B Nimble

Jack B Nimble

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Absolutely beautiful work.  Well worth the wait.  Love it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Velo

Sim Racing Links