• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#101 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jan 26 2012 - 10:08 PM

View Postjgf, on Jan 26 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I believe the GPL version is about "half size" at 15mi;  according to http://en.wikipedia..../Isle_of_Man_TT the full course was/is 33mi.

Now, two words for you:  Targa Florio
yes man ..... Targaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Florio , the King of them all :thumbup:

#102 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Whatever
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 26 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postisamu, on Jan 26 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Hi. So if I understand this correctly, the current Isle of Man track is NOT the full version? If so, what percentage of the full version does this current version occupy? Is it around 75% of the full version? I just took a couple laps around the current version and man....is it huge but VERY fun!!

Read this page from Jim's site, Isamu.  It'll explain why he built the abridged version.
http://jrpearson.hom.../IsleOfMan.html

It's a 40% scale version of the IOM.  40% in both length and altitude variations.

Dave

#103 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted Jan 27 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thanks guys, and don't worry I'm already hip to TF...nothing tops that in scale. It's MASSIVE!!!!!  :shock:

Edited by isamu, Jan 27 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#104 stenyak

stenyak

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sims

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:02 PM

Nice to see the full course is still progressing :-)

I just installed GPL for the first time in many years, and wanted to give the abridged version a try again. It's one of my fondest memories from GPL  :clap2:

Unfortunately I'm unable to find a working download link. Tried googling, tried searching this and other forums, tried the GPL Track DB, but it links back to Jim's website, in which I'm unable to find the correct download link... Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!

#105 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:11 PM

View Poststenyak, on Mar 08 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Nice to see the full course is still progressing :-)

I just installed GPL for the first time in many years, and wanted to give the abridged version a try again. It's one of my fondest memories from GPL  :clap2:

Unfortunately I'm unable to find a working download link. Tried googling, tried searching this and other forums, tried the GPL Track DB, but it links back to Jim's website, in which I'm unable to find the correct download link... Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!

http://jrpearson.hom...MDownloads.html

Top download  :hat-tip:

#106 stenyak

stenyak

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sims

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Posttooncheesef1, on Mar 08 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

For some reason I was having a brain melt and couldn't see the "downloads" link... Thank you kind sir!

#107 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 26 2012 - 07:10 AM

A must see movie!

Closer to the Edge
Official Trailer [HD]

http://www.amazon.co...D/dp/B005CHE59S

Posted Image

Edited by Stefan Roess, Mar 26 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#108 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 03:02 AM

Hi Jim.

How are things going?
Any news on the track? :)

Regards
Stefan

#109 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hi Stefan

Not really in a position yet to show anything other than the contents of this thread " Had To Share This.... My Sort Of Inspiration : ) "
which is a few pages back now.

Have just finished refining/populating a difficult sector of the track with an average of 1000 objects per kilometre.

Still looks pretty good; well at least in my opinion ;) and I hope soon to make a second video showing further fully completed work. Perhaps also one showing the intermittent fog patches in the low lying areas you can get early in the mornings there. That works best at higher monitor resolutions, so I'm not sure a half res video will show that very well. We'll see.

All I can say is that this is very exacting work for me and I make progress when I can.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheerio

Jim

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 07 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#110 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,276 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 07:08 AM

Good on ya, Jim!

Been watching the itv SPORT coverage of the 2013 TT week here in the US.  First time for me.  Those fellows are totally amazing!!  I just cannot imagine the skill, bravery and utter concentration needed to drive that Mountain Course.  I don't know what is more thrilling... the images from the on-board bike cameras or the helicopter shots as they wind through the villages!!  The sensation of speed and finesse blows me away!

I have been thrilled each evening (we get the 1-hour long coverage at 22:00) and greatly anticipate the Sr. race.

Edited by gliebzeit, Jun 08 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#111 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Growing Vegetables.

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jun 07 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Good on ya, Jim!

Been watching the itv SPORT coverage of the 2013 TT week here in the US.  First time for me.  Those fellows are totally amazing!!  I just cannot imagine the skill, bravery and utter concentration needed to drive that Mountain Course.  I don't know what is more thrilling... the images from the on-board bike cameras or the helicopter shots as they wind through the villages!!  The sensation of speed and finesse blows me away!

I have been thrilled each evening (we get the 1-long coverage at 22:00) and greatly anticipate the Sr. race today.
   Agree with gliebzeit;  Awesome outright lap record by John McGuinness set this week; can't wait for the Senior later

#112 Miguelito

Miguelito

Harde baas

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 09:31 AM

Too bad it wasn't live today, but I guess that has to do with the problem of transmitting camera signals along this immense track.

#113 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostJim Pearson, on Jun 07 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

the intermittent fog patches in the low lying areas you can get early in the mornings there

That sounds great, the atmosphere of this track is going to be amazing. I have no doubt that if it looks good in your opinion Jim, it is going to look fantastic in my opinion.

#114 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Life

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for your interest.

And thank you for the update Jim!

#115 GrandPrixLegend

GrandPrixLegend

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted Nov 25 2016 - 04:50 PM

Long time no see :)

Just watched the full onboard lap of Mark Higgins in 2014 in a Subaru. Given the limitations at that time, i still admire what Jim Pearson created with his first, abbreviated version of the IOM circuit. All parts are easily recognizable and i could virtually tell what's up next :thankyou:

I hope you didn't stop developement and we'll see the release of the full version one day :D

Edited by GrandPrixLegend, Nov 25 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#116 pmc40

pmc40

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Dec 01 2016 - 03:33 PM

Many years have passed and I'm still yearning for the Full version :andale:

#117 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 04 2016 - 08:41 AM

It's not a good sign when there's no news in over 3 years. Jim might be into other projects now.

To be honest. I'm surprised we're still getting new stuff for GPL in what is almost 2017.

#118 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,014 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 04 2016 - 09:38 AM

That's true :)

#119 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Dec 04 2016 - 09:51 AM

we know it's a mammoth task & going by the videos & this statement

Have just finished refining/populating a difficult sector of the track with an average of 1000 objects per kilometre.

I'm happy to wait patiently :coffee:

I agree totally with Pete though, credit to you gratfers :realbighug:

#120 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Dec 09 2016 - 06:38 PM

There have been more recent updates from Jim in another thread.  Most recent one I remember was earlier in the year where Jim stated progress was slow and that he hadn't worked on it much recently, but he was still hopeful it would be released one day.

edit;  Found Jim's most recent update from January of this year in this thread:  http://srmz.net/inde...opic=10145&st=0

Jim's post #50 in the thread:

"Posted Jan 30 2016 - 03:35 AM
I have been reluctant to post here as there is nothing much to say really, so though it best if this thread just receded quickly back into the past where it belongs. However the question deserves some response.

I have made a little progress this last year or so, but its very taxing work, lots of balls in the air at once, so I only get back to it occasionally these days and then I stop again when it ceases to be fun. After all, whatever our level of involvement and specific field of interest in Sims, it is still a hobby; the journey is supposed to be enjoyed, n'est-ce pas?

This is not a work of construction that has been shared. All the development methods and vision for its future are in my head and cant be "parsed out".
As some of you know, its taken me over 10 years so far, given I started in early 2005 yet I do hope you will be able to drive it one day.

I understand that sort of answer is frustrating for some of you and I'm sorry for that. It may also be irritating for others working in other sims who want to rip it off as soon as its out, which is something of a demotivator for me ATM. But that still wont stop me.

For now, I know you will enjoy the great and prolific works of the many fine contributors like Ginetto, Lee and the other Mod builders, who really ARE the ones keeping this old sim fresh and deserve the community's praise and attention."

Edited by dbell84, Dec 09 2016 - 06:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links