• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 05 2019 - 05:54 AM

I've been thinking (sometime this year) to upgrading to a new gaming Dell laptop. Bit pricy, but would love more power, for my games. It as been given a decent rating too.

I know that some people, frown against laptop's for gaming. But I think they are getting better. Can't unfortunately (due to personal reasons) go for a desktop, although I'd love one one day.

Here are the specs for the laptop that I've seen. What do you all think. I would upgrade ram immediately (which you can) from 16-32. Or would that be overkill and a waste of extra cash. I think you can also upgrade the SSD from 5200 rpm to ? to get a better speed 🤔
Also Windows 10 (Sometimes GPL issues) and is it okay, for GPL. I believe single core, CPU and GPU are important for GPL 🤔

Technical specifications for DELL G5 15.6" Intel® Core™ i7 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop -
Type    Gaming laptop
Operating system    Windows 10 (64-bit)
PERFORMANCE
Processor    - Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor
- Hexa-core
- 2.2 GHz / 4.1 GHz
- 9 MB cache
RAM    - 16 GB DDR4
- 32 GB maximum installable RAM
Graphics card    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
- 6 GB
Storage    - 1 TB HDD (5400 rpm)
- 256 GB SSD
SCREEN
Touchscreen    No
Screen size    15.6"
Screen type    IPS LCD
Resolution    Full HD 1920 x 1080p
Screen features    NVIDIA G-Sync enabled

TP: 👍

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 05 2019 - 06:17 AM.

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 05 2019 - 07:34 AM

TP, if you think that spec is going to be pricey, then you're probably right. I must admit I have little experience with laptops (apart from fixing & upgrading a few), but I believe Dell are a pretty expensive supplier. You'll probably be paying over the odds to them. On the other hand, as far as I remember, they do offer some peace of mind as far as warranties and fault-fixing go, so maybe that's worth some extra cash.

Is it really necessary to upgrade to 32GB RAM? Unless you're doing complex 3D design & modelling using extra-large textures, or some other really high-power application, you could save some money by sticking with 16GB. Since I upgraded my desktop PC to 16GB a couple of years ago, I haven't had any issues which could be attributed to lack of RAM. I sometimes leave Steam updating in the background, and have my browser open at the GPLRank webpage while I'm playing GPL, and the PC handles it all quite smoothly.

Is an i7 processor really necessary? For desktops, it can add between £80-£100 to the cost compared to an i5, and most software doesn't really take advantage of the chip. I have an older-generation i5 processor in my PC (i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz) and it handles everything I can throw at it. There are newer generation i5's available which are quite a bit more efficient and faster, so I think you might be able to save some money by going for a decent i5 instead of an i7. (Unfortunately I can't upgrade my processor as Intel changed their socket type from 1150 to 1151 a while ago. *SIGH* :rolleyes:)

The disk RPM only applies to the HDD, not the SSD (was that a typo? ;)) and isn't always the best indicator of a good, fast drive. A 5400 drive is ok, but the most important thing is the stated transfer rate of the drive. My PC has a 2TB, 7200RPM HDD connected via SATA-3, which gives a stated maximum transfer rate of 6GB/s. See if you can find out the connection type and speed to give you an accurate assessment of the laptop HDD. Speeds may have increased even more recently, I haven't checked the latest hardware specs, so SATA-3 6GB/s may be out of date..

Upgrading the SSD from 256GB to 500GB might be possible, and might be quite beneficial. The main point in having an SSD is to get Windows starting up faster, and 256GB will allow the OS to be installed on the SSD (with the Windows swap file also), possibly with a little space left over for a few games. But if you can have a little extra fast storage space, you might find it very useful.

I've never got around to moving my GPL installation onto my SSD as I have so much stuff installed it would be a bit of a chore. I'm sure the SSD would allow Targa and Spa etc to load quite a bit more quickly. But generally, I don't think SSD speed would make all that much difference to the way I experience GPL.

However, one game where I noticed a big improvement was Skyrim. I have a number of mods installed for the game which increase the detail level of textures and 3D objects and terrain. The game constantly loads new data as I move around in the game world, and when I moved Skyrim from my HDD to my SSD, the gameplay became so much smoother and better.

So if you have anything which relies on accessing data while it's running, or something which takes some time to load when you start it up, then having more SSD storage space to install it on there would be useful.

The GTX1060 6GB sounds impressive. I would love to see how they pack the circuitry for that into a laptop! That was the card I was hoping to get early last year to replace my ageing GTX650, but I found the prices too high. I eventually plumped for a GTX1050Ti 4GB, and I'm very happy with it. Again, that could possibly be a way for you to save some money, but graphics is the area where PCs/laptops seem to get outdated most quickly, so if you can afford the GTX1060 then go for it.

The only other thing I would query is the screen size. Your details say 15.6" - that sounds a little small to me. Would it be worth getting a bigger screen to improve your experience, especially with gaming? But then again, if you don't use a desktop, maybe you're used to a smaller screen. And increasing it would obviously have some cost implications. So maybe that's a compromise which has to be made.

Hopefully you will get some feedback from others who have had more experience with laptops, and with Dell. But I hope my comments might help. Good luck finding your ideal machine, TP! :thumbup: :wave:

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,628 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 05 2019 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Saiph for your reply and thoughts. Really valuable indeed.

I presumed the ram upgrade would be overkill. So 16 GB would be best, or upgraded close to that total, if I got another rig with less ram to start with.

I'd already looked at the i5 option and wondered whether I should go for that instead. Rather than paying extra for an i7 and to save all round.

Yes I'd got mixed up with HDD and SSD. I think maybe a 5200 rpm, on the HDD, would be satisfactory, or as close as that spec as I can get. It is paramount and valuable, for me, to get more SSD space, for all my games. So another good upgrade option.

I know on the i5 models and similar, that the graphics cards are 1050's, which I'm sure you'll agree, is still ample enough.

Regarding the screen size Saiph, you must have read my thoughts. I felt and thought that was way too small. So far though, all I've seen is that size on most laptop's. I may be wrong (correct me if I am) but most modern laptops are going small notebook type screens. Will have a double check on that though. As I said I could be wrong on that factor.

I've also seen and looked at MSI branded laptop's. What do people think of those.

Also these laptop's have no optical or DVD drive anymore. I think for GPL I am right in saying that I can copy over one of my saved GPL folders (from my old laptop or ext HDD) to rectify no way if inserting discs. Then add mods and updates accordingly. I would be okay for getting games from sites like Steam and Origin, but old games would be different, due to requiring discs for install. I know you can purchase seperately usb dvd drives to rectify this. I also know other ways around this issue. But that's between me and myself.

Thank you Saiph once again and any further feedback 👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 05 2019 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Feb 05 2019 - 06:34 PM

if you are going to upgrade the SSD  i would recommend the Samsung 860 EVO/PRO 500 gig or larger depending on your $$ (for a few more $$ the PRO

is a little quicker and will last you much longer than the EVO )

just watch out for the different type of connections though  SATA or M,2 just ask at the desk if unsure which type will fit the laptop

Edited by Brocky05, Feb 05 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#5 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted Feb 05 2019 - 07:10 PM

just found this one https://www.pcworld....ssd-review.html

looks very quick and its cheap compared to the other drives in it's class

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,628 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info and link Brocky.

I'm not too sure, what to look for and ask, regarding the types of connections. Never come across that before.

I will therefore do some research on that. Unless someone's got an idiots guide, on that subject.

Thanks again 👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 06 2019 - 10:19 AM.

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 01:31 PM

Ok, quick SSD history coming up:

The first types of SSD were designed to look like, and connect like, standard 2.5" (laptop-sized) hard disk units. They used standard SATA connectors for data, just like HDDs, so you could simply swap out an HDD and replace it with an SSD to boost the performance of your computer. This is the type of SSD which I have in my PC (Samsung 850 EVO 500GB). The reasons I upgraded to this older type were (1) I had never used an SSD before, so any type of SSD was going to boost the boot-up time of my PC, and (2) because the technology was being superceded (see below), these type of drives were getting to be quite cheap compared to their introductory prices. I picked up my SSD for only £80.

My SSD is now out-of-date and probably not available any more, but here's a link to a 2TB version of my drive which looks identical:
https://www.aria.co....productId=70239

Soon after the first generation of SSDs were introduced, manufacturers found ways to increase their speed, and they soon found that the SATA cable connection was acting as a bottleneck, and limiting the performance of the SSD drives. So, they got together with mobo manufacturers, and came up with a new type of connector, called "m.2". This is effectively a shrunken PCI-e connector, the same type used for graphics cards and other peripherals, but the mobo socket is quite narrow, and is bent over at a 90-degree angle.

The design of the SSDs themselves were also changed, to strip away most of the old-style HDD case and leave a thin, narrow circuit board, like the drive shown in Brocky's link. When these new type of SSDs are plugged into a mobo using the new m.2 socket, they lie flat on top of the mobo and so take up very little space.

Although the new connector is called "m.2", you may also see these drives referred to as "NVMe" which stands for "Non-Volatile Media". The NVMe standard describes the protocols that the drives use to communicate with the mobo and transfer data back and forth.

One thing that Brocky may have forgotten is that you probably won't be building the laptop yourself, it will probably be ordered pre-built from a supplier. If that's the case, the supplier may not give you the choice of actually selecting an individual make and type of SSD. That's why I didn't mention any particular brands when I suggested getting a bigger size in my other post. You might be able to select what size of drive you want, but that may be the limit of your choice.

Edited by Saiph, Feb 06 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,628 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 02:57 PM

Thank you Saiph. Very interesting and love the fact that I'm finding out more, on pc tech info.

I will keep this infornation noted, when I decide to go ahead with a purchase.

Thanks once again, for your valuable input and taking the time to write out the details 👍👍👍👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 06 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#9 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,002 posts

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 03:25 PM

No problem TP. If there's anything I post which is unclear, or if you'd like more details on anything, just let me know. Buying a PC, especially a laptop, is quite a big investment, so it's worth making sure you're buying what you need, and not spending money on unnecessary features. I'll give you all the help I can, but I'll also let you know when my knowledge is limited! ;) :thumbup:

#10 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 06:52 PM

Saiph  the Samsung i recommended comes with either of the two types of connections that's why i said to ask what type the laptop has

T.P. there are faster Samsung's out there but bang for buck stick with the 860 for a little more cash go with the Pro

as for that other drive i sent a link too i have know idea what that one is like do some research or if you like to gamble go for it

#11 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,628 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 07 2019 - 12:20 PM

Thank you Brocky, for all your help and info.

One thing, in my narrowing down of a potential laptop, is a 17-17.5 screen.

Cheers again 👍

TP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links