gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 25 2018 - 07:51 AM

'World's Fastest Gamer'.  Sponsored by Esports. **** Sunday 26 August 2018  *****

Eleven Sim drivers from all over the world come together at McLaren headquarters to drive the Esports simulation and get coaching from staff and Mika Hakkinen.
Then the final two drivers go on to drive McLaren's driver simulator head-to head.

************************************************************************************************************************
In the US, my program listings show that there are 4 episodes (the 1st centers on Greger Huttu).
Episodes 1 & 2 will be on both ESPN2 and ESPN-News.  Episodes 3 & 4 will ONLY be on ESPN-News.
These episodes are 30 minutes long each.  They begin at 6:am EDT or 10:00 GMT

Edited by gliebzeit, Aug 25 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 25 2018 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Aug 26 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#3 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,073 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Aug 25 2018 - 06:54 PM

'World's Fastest Gamer'.  Sponsored by Esports. *****  Sunday 26 August 2018  *****

Eleven Sim drivers from all over the world come together at McLaren headquarters to drive the Esports simulation and get coaching from staff and Mika Hakkinen.
Then the final two drivers go on to drive McLaren's driver simulator head-to head.

************************************************************************************************************************
In the US, my program listings show that there are 4 episodes (the 1st centers on Greger Huttu).
Episodes 1 & 2 will be on both ESPN2 and ESPN-News.  Episodes 3 & 4 will ONLY be on ESPN-News.
These episodes are 30 minutes long each.  They begin at 6:am EDT or 10:00 GMT

Edited by gliebzeit, Aug 25 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#4 kunc

kunc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted Aug 28 2018 - 11:56 AM

Interesting series, and I won't spoil anything by giving the results.
But in my opinion, the sim they used in the group setting (rFactor or rFactor2) didn't look too good.
And the graphics in the full-motion McLaren simulator looked worse!
Understanding of course, that graphics aren't the end-all of simulation ... so I guess that speaks well for rFactor.
Surprised too that they (McLaren) haven't moved to Virtual Reality (never tried it, but that appears to be the next generation of simulator).

Odd too that they evaluated the contestants during races.
I would have thought that consistent hot laps would be more relevant for their needs, which I understood was to help evaluate the real-world car through simulation.
I didn't get the impression that they were scouting for a real-world driver.

It was kind of neat to see Greger Hutu as one of the contestants, as he was so instrumental in GPL's ranking and set-ups.
He looked much younger than I thought he would be!

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 28 2018 - 01:01 PM

Seems one idea overall was/is to find a sim racer who could help r/l drivers, like a coach.

Just guessing, really don't think McLaren is as much into display graphics as they must surely be into physics model and what they can do with it to represent their own cars.

The other day searching around and found a GPL driver's setup comparison and Greger's were, safe to say, different than the rest.

http://www.intothere...repairshop.html
Scroll to bottom of page.

Wonder if contestants got to do their own setups and if/how much GH setup philosophy has changed since GPL.

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links