65Mod Steeringwheel Error Fix

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 11:43 AM

In that case it might be elsewhere within the carset maybe? Perhaps with one of the other online car 3dos that gets called? The first time you go on track it seems it can be different to what happens on returning to the pits and then going back to track in terms of how cars are displayed. Since it is variable if the problem happens or not it maybe also depends if a certain car gets used, e.g. if there happens to be say a #13 Brabham assigned then you have trouble in that race, if #13 is say a Ferrari then all is fine? No real idea here, just floating some ideas, or places to try looking for anomalies.

EDIT: Yes, leaving and rejoining the server wouldn't fix it as the server remembers you and will give you back the same car number, which I think is maybe part of the problem. I think you would have to change cars to get assigned a different number and then perhaps change back again after that, but the downside is that you would lose your previous qually times once you get given the new race number.

Here is a thought, although not a brilliant one, but, nonetheless might give us some data or show a pattern. As it is an intermittent fault it is hard to just make it happen, so, whenever this problem does next happen can you write down the car numbers and car types assigned to those by the server? Also note which car number was the one that you were given. E.g. #20 Lotus, #18 Honda, #6 Ferrari, #13 Brabham (my car) etc. etc. If we can get notes like this it might help to figure out what is causing it, or show up some sort of pattern.

Another question, if you save a replay when this does happen and then look at the replay later, does the steering wheel show correctly in the replay or is it faulty? Likewise, in a race where your wheel goes faulty, if you look on the live replay system while in the pits, does the wheel look wrong in cockpit view there and also do any other Brabhams also running look normal or faulty in replay/live view?

I think that getting some notes on this might help spot a pattern and hopefully then find a lasting fix. I don't think it is the sort of fault that we can force to happen, but when it does if we can get some notes on this sort of stuff we might find the answer.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Oct 13 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#42 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 11:50 AM

Interesting question should be if it only happens with the latest GPL65 as I can't recall ever having this problem in the past. Maybe I just had luck :)

#43 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:00 PM

Another interesting question is if it is rasteriser dependent as well? I have always run the D3D v1 rasteriser and I have never seen this problem myself with either original or patched 65 mod. I am pretty sure that this was around since the original 65 mod though as the patching did not change the carset.

Rob

#44 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm beginning to think this is indeed a driver 3do with false mip mapping.
Should just be a matter of checking the driver 3do string listings to see if there's an odd one between them.

It wouldn't explain the caterham problem though because that was just a copy of the brad.3do which was mapped fine.
But it might be a combined problem and i probably only fixed just one of them :)

Edit: i just ran 3dostrn and compared all ai 3do's in excell (see att.):
I see a gar17a.3do and a sif16a.3do which have 1 entry too much but nothing indicating that it might cause trouble though. Theres a gur8a hi.3do with less entries but not used..

Attached Files

#45 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,061 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 28 2010 - 05:25 PM

Attached screenshots are taken during an online test race at Thruxton.
All three Brabhams BT11 have the wheel bug.
You can also see the bug in the replay (attached), but then a different mip texture (I guess it is a grey helmet texture) is used (this might be because it is offline).

I hope this is of any help.

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 28 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#46 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 29 2010 - 03:34 AM

Also it is interesting that #18 is missing its numbers and is presumably using the default car skin. Maybe that is the problem that one of the online 3dos is missing or wrong? E.g. perhaps if #18 is used and is a BT11 then you get the problem for all Brabhams? Again just guessing ideas here as I haven't checked the dat yet.

If I have time I will try to have a poke around over the weekend if I am not busy with something else. :)

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Oct 29 2010 - 03:35 AM.

#47 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Oct 29 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 28 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

Attached screenshots are taken during an online test race at Thruxton.
All three Brabhams BT11 have the wheel bug.
You can also see the bug in the replay (attached), but then a different mip texture (I guess it is a grey helmet texture) is used (this might be because it is offline).

I hope this is of any help.

There is one thing you can check:
Move all brabham files without the .dat file in a temp directory.
Extract everything that is in  the .dat file in the brabham folder.
Move the files from the temp folder back into the brabham folder and let it overwrite.
Now you have all files outside the dat and with the correct version/date.

Then run 3dostrn and check the strings.txt file for missing files.

A missing mip in a sub 3do normally will result in a false texture so this could be your problem with the brabham.

#48 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,061 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 29 2010 - 04:34 PM

View PostMECH, on Oct 29 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

Move the files from the temp folder back into the brabham folder and let it overwrite.

A missing mip in a sub 3do normally will result in a false texture so this could be your problem with the brabham.

Done.
Attached strings.txt

***bra18.3do***
brabham   	:3do
and18a		:3do:mip
rebroll   	:3do:mip
plaace		===> No matching files found!
r18helm   	:mip
nothing   	:mip
rid   		:mip
rebrol3   	:mip
trump20   	:3do:mip
bldashl   	:mip
abblack   	:mip
aninsid   	:mip
aninsil   	:mip
bldashr   	:mip
bbbinco   	:mip
engine6   	:mip
enginan   	:mip
axlebra   	:mip
brainsa   	:mip
bldasha   	:mip
rinjlin   	:mip
bt24top   	:mip
TraymRDw  	:mip
DrivRDw   	:mip
24   		000DA	  	218 

Attached Files

#49 MGL66

MGL66

Michael Lowery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Nov 30 2010 - 10:28 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Nov 29 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostMECH, on Oct 29 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

Done.
Attached strings.txt

***bra18.3do***
brabham   	:3do
and18a		:3do:mip
rebroll   	:3do:mip
plaace		===> No matching files found!
r18helm   	:mip
rid   		:mip
rebrol3   	:mip
trump20   	:3do:mip
bldashl   	:mip
abblack   	:mip
aninsid   	:mip
aninsil   	:mip
bldashr   	:mip
bbbinco   	:mip
engine6   	:mip
enginan   	:mip
axlebra   	:mip
brainsa   	:mip
bldasha   	:mip
rinjlin   	:mip
bt24top   	:mip
TraymRDw  	:mip
DrivRDw   	:mip
24   		000DA	  	218 

So if I understand correctly, this problem can be solved in one of two ways: 1)by changing the appropriate line in the bra18.3do file to read "plaface", or 2)by adding an additional face mip named "plaace" to the brabham folder.

Is this correct?

Edited by MGL66, Nov 30 2010 - 10:30 AM.

#50 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Nov 30 2010 - 10:50 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Oct 29 2010 - 03:34 AM, said:

Also it is interesting that #18 is missing its numbers and is presumably using the default car skin. Maybe that is the problem that one of the online 3dos is missing or wrong? E.g. perhaps if #18 is used and is a BT11 then you get the problem for all Brabhams? Again just guessing ideas here as I haven't checked the dat yet.

If I have time I will try to have a poke around over the weekend if I am not busy with something else. :)

Rob

Yes, that maybe makes sense and fits with Stefan's strings file. Seems that the #18 Brabham 3do has a faulty file reference and so if the #18 car gets assigned by the server to a Brabham driver then all other Brabhams will then also show wrong. Presumably if #18 is say a Ferrari then this missing/misnamed Brabham file is not noticed and so all Brabhams would show up correctly.

A quick test/solution, especially if Stefan still has that replay saved is if he copies the plaface.mip in the Brabham folder and renames it as plaace.mip. The should make the #18 car happy and if so the replay should then show all of the Brabhams in it correctly. If so, then problem solved. :)

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Nov 30 2010 - 10:52 AM.

#51 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Nov 30 2010 - 12:12 PM

View PostMGL66, on Nov 30 2010 - 10:28 AM, said:

So if I understand correctly, this problem can be solved in one of two ways: 1)by changing the appropriate line in the bra18.3do file to read "plaface", or
Yes you can repair this by using racecon.
Just open the bra18.3do with it and right click the plaace entry and rename :)

View PostMGL66, on Nov 30 2010 - 10:28 AM, said:

2)by adding an additional face mip named "plaace" to the brabham folder.
Yes, that would be the quick 'n dirty solution :)

I know for fact that a missing mip in the main car 3do will give a could not load and a missing mip in a mapping 3do won't give a could not load track but strange mappings in the car. So it's most likely the problem lies here..

#52 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 14 2010 - 01:09 PM

Stefan,

Out of interest, did you try copying the plaface.mip in the Brabham folder and renaming the copy as plaace.mip and seeing if that solves the problem? Just curious really to know if this problem has finally been solved?

Cheers,

Rob

#53 MGL66

MGL66

Michael Lowery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 16 2010 - 10:35 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Dec 14 2010 - 01:09 PM, said:

Stefan,

Out of interest, did you try copying the plaface.mip in the Brabham folder and renaming the copy as plaace.mip and seeing if that solves the problem? Just curious really to know if this problem has finally been solved?

Cheers,

Rob

I tried it and regrettably it didn't work. (By which I mean that a replay that exhibited the steering wheel problem before the addition of plaace.mip to the brabham folder continued to display this bug after the addition of plaace.mip. Should I test it another way? Do I need to make a fresh online replay with the file already in place?)

Michael

#54 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 16 2010 - 12:20 PM

It shouldn't need a new replay, as it is something to do with the carset. If you loaded a different carset with correctly named slots, GPL would show those instead of the 65 cars and assuming all of the online skin numbers were present it should look correct. The replay does not save any details beyond which car numbers are being used and which car slot each number uses, it knows nothing about mips or 3dos.

The only other thing to make sure is that you are using the carset that you think you are, i.e. if you made the fix in the full65 carset, but GEM has told the gplc65.exe to use the lite65 carset, or vice versa, then changing that mip would make no difference if it is in the wrong folder. Otherwise, there is always the possibility that there was more than one problem. For sure the problem with the bra18.3do would account for why in the replay screenshots Stefan posted that car (#18) has no car numbers and seems to use the default skin. Maybe there is still another error somewhere else that we have still to find which finally completes the jigsaw about the helmet getting used instead of the steering wheel.

Rob

#55 il_lupo_mannaro

il_lupo_mannaro

Fabio Locarno

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted May 18 2011 - 03:50 PM

I installed the fix but it didn't solve the problem
I made several test with backup folders but it seems all my FULL65 folders are affected.
Does anybody can post his fixed FULL65 folder in order to try it?
Thx in advance

#56 il_lupo_mannaro

il_lupo_mannaro

Fabio Locarno

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted May 21 2011 - 03:23 AM

View Postil_lupo_mannaro, on May 18 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

I made several test with backup folders but it seems all my FULL65 folders are affected.
Thx in advance

Up!
Nobody can help me?

#57 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted May 22 2011 - 08:00 PM

View Postil_lupo_mannaro, on May 21 2011 - 03:23 AM, said:

Thx in advance

Up!
Nobody can help me?

I'm not sure. I thought I had it fixed but the other day I saw a Brab getting around in an online race with strange textures on his tyres. I reapplied the fix but don't have a replay to test it with. My 'Full65' folder is over 90Mb, but if you post the replay here, I'll test it and if it's good I'll upload my folder to Megaupload for you.

Cheers
David

#58 il_lupo_mannaro

il_lupo_mannaro

Fabio Locarno

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted May 23 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostFrenchy, on May 22 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

View Postil_lupo_mannaro, on May 21 2011 - 03:23 AM, said:

Thx in advance

Up!
Nobody can help me?

I'm not sure. I thought I had it fixed but the other day I saw a Brab getting around in an online race with strange textures on his tyres. I reapplied the fix but don't have a replay to test it with. My 'Full65' folder is over 90Mb, but if you post the replay here, I'll test it and if it's good I'll upload my folder to Megaupload for you.

Cheers
David

Thx David!
See attached my reply and check the wheel of brabby nr. 14
Attached File  wheelfix.rpy   684.01K   17 downloads

Edited by il_lupo_mannaro, May 23 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#59 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted May 24 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hi Il Lupo

I tested the replay and regrettably the steering wheel in No14 brab is wrong for me too. I've just read through this whole thread and it would seem the solution is not yet found. Interestingly, no18 in your replay is a Ferrari. The Brabs being no7(correct mip) and no14 (wrong mip).

I'd like to think I could help but if Martin and Rob can't work it out then I'm guessing it would take me several years to work out i can't fix it either  :confused:

To make it more complicated I've seen some wrong mips on tyres as well.

Cheers
David
Attached File  Wrong Steering wheel mip on BT11.jpg   295.67K   34 downloads

Edit: Looking more closely, I see that No7 didn't make it to the grid so No14 is the only BT11 there. Also two of the three Hondas (Nos 11 and 12) are not displaying any numbers on their cars.

Edited by Frenchy, May 24 2011 - 06:13 AM.

#60 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 24 2011 - 07:44 AM

I will try to remember and have another look around inside the brabham car 3dos and see if there is anything obviously fishy going on.

I would still suspect it is a case where copy and paste was not your friend and having duplicated the 3do and gone through the renaming process, that the right mip was not chosen for some reason, probably a typo. It could be that there is more than one car which could trigger this happening and while some are fixed, there are maybe others in there upsetting things. It could also be that while it is the Brabham that is affected, it is being caused by another car of a certain number and some other conflict.

Initially that was why I was keen on gathering some replays where it does happen and noting if it is always only certain Brabham car numbers that show this effect, and does the presence of one particular car and number assignment always make this happen. Mostly I would guess it will come down to a huge accounting exercise and it should be solvable, but will certainly need a good chunk of willpower.

Any data or replays anyone has would be helpful where this effect happens. I don't even need the replays themselves, just the race report from GPLRA would do as that tells me which numbers were given to which cars, and a list of which cars appeared wrong. Given several of these reports we should then be able to solve the jigsaw.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links