Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 08 2018 - 08:42 AM

I've been driving with a G25 for a while, the steering wheel is good enough for me but I can't get comfortable with the pedals. I am considering the CSL Elite Loadcell by Fanatec pedals because they are longer (should be more comfortable in my rig) and a loadcell brake should feel more iniutitive as I understand. For the G25 pedals I use a stressbal behind the brake pedal at the moment otherwise I have no idea how hard I brake.

Would it be possible to use a seperate pedal set via USB in combination with the G25 wheel and shifer in GPL? And does it make a difference for GPL that the brake input comes from a loadcell instead of a potentiometer brake?

#2 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostMillennium, on Aug 08 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

Would it be possible to use a seperate pedal set via USB in combination with the G25 wheel and shifer in GPL?

Yes, of course, this is my combination :

G25 / Fanatec V3 Pedals / TH8 RS shifter

All 3 devices plugged via usb and used with gplshift. Not sure about fairshift though...

View PostMillennium, on Aug 08 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

And does it make a difference for GPL that the brake input comes from a loadcell instead of a potentiometer brake?

With my Fanatec V3 it's completely different, first it took me a while to find the right pedals setup (brake and throttle) and to get used of it. But now, it's just fantastic!

Edited by Remy, Aug 09 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#3 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 11:22 AM

The Fanatec V3 is at the expensive side of Fanatec.  The CSL is their "budget" line. They have little in common.
I don't think the CSL pedals would work well as a standalone unit. I don't think they connect through a USB.  I do know for sure that some of the braking properties are accessed through a setup button on the wheel, no matter what simulator is used.  GPL doesn't care if you've got a loadcell or a potentiometer.

#4 francesco

francesco

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 12:31 PM

I have used the Fanatec pedals with the old momo racing without problem.
3 device since the gear box is ACTlab.
Now i use Fairshift.

Edited by francesco, Aug 09 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the answers!

There is a budget CSL pedal set, and a seperate loadcell kit. The loadcell kit connects directly via usb, for the cheaper set you would need a adapter indeed.

@Remy, it's nice to hear you like those pedals a lot and they work well with GPL. After looking more into it I'm also convinced to go for the more expensive Clubsport V3 pedals now, because they are more customisable. I think it would be worth the investment as I'm not sure I like the csl elite pedal plates. Expensive stuff but I will last for years I hope?

Do you also use the brake peformance kit or a damper? I would really like to have a heavy brake with a short travel range.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 09 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#6 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 03:15 PM

I use dampers on both, brake and throttle pedals, you can really adjust your configuration with them (heavy brake i.e.). I agree, expensive stuff, but I don't regret, it's really worth it

Attached Files

#7 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 03:43 PM

That looks beautiful, nice setup!  I don't want to buy a damper straight away because it already is so expensive, but it sounds like a great addon for somewhere in the future.

What do think about the rumble motors on the pedals? I assume old games like GPL don't support them. Is it just a little gimmick in modern sims or do feel they add something?

Edited by Millennium, Aug 09 2018 - 03:45 PM.

#8 francesco

francesco

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 11:46 PM

I have only found problem with the CSL wheel.I was not able to use again GPLshift,i have changed with Fairshit but you lose some function like button to view left and right.I have not found a way to assigne button or paddle.

#9 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Aug 10 2018 - 12:49 PM

The CSL Load cell kit is not a stand alone item it replaces the brake assembly on the CSL pedal set. The old brake pedal can then be used as a clutch pedal. The load cell USB plugs into the brake assembly the brake assembly plugs into the wheel with a phone jack.

The clubsport V3 pedals get great reviews.

Edited by bob holada, Aug 10 2018 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links